Dog Boots

Ivory & Beau

Apologies for all the threads lately.

I'm thinking Ivy might need boots for when we do our Avon deliveries over the hotter months. I will be aiming to do it morning or late afternoon but the roads are still quite hot any time of the day here.

Would you advise we look in to them?

Most of the area we walk is verge, no paths. She tends to walk on the grass or road [she's a weaver :laugh:] but with the Avon drop offs I tend to criss-cross the bitumen from house to house as we're in a quiet housing estate.

Hmm what about putting newborn baby socks on her feet?

Most of the area we walk is verge, no paths. She tends to walk on the grass or road [she's a weaver :laugh:] but with the Avon drop offs I tend to criss-cross the bitumen from house to house as we're in a quiet housing estate.

Hmm what about putting newborn baby socks on her feet?

Expect Ivy tries to remove the socks.

For some dogs, they are like foreign objects.

:(

Expect Ivy tries to remove the socks.

For some dogs, they are like foreign objects.

:(

Yeah she probably would remove them or become a real princess about having them on but saying that, she is really accepting of most things I do to her. She isn't fussed with her paws being touched and played with.

I'll grab a pair of baby socks and see what she does. With positive rewards of course.

Maybe try Mushers Secret, it is a wax formula that creates a barrier to protect the feet.

Oh that stirred some memories.

Been a few years since I needed it for the older dogs when they were much more active, including being in the field.

:D

Mushers secret wont protect from the heat, you need boots for that. It stops the pads from weathering and cracking from mechanical stress not temperatures like perth has in summer from the sun heating the concrete.

I put them on them and dont let them touch them, and play a bit. If I say no they wont touch. I dont ask them I tell them.

Casper needs paw protection for a different reason. He drags his back paws and causes injury to his knuckles and claws (even on grass). I wrap a layer of vet wrap over his feet and cover it with a couple of strips of cloth tape from Bunnings (similar to duct tape). I have to cover his feet from the back of his pads to the top of his knuckles but in your case you could just cover the pads. I use a strip of elastoplast tape on the top part of the vetwrap to stop the "booties" coming off.

I cancelled my order of Mushers and the company was totally cool about it. I checked their refund policy before asking and they ask that you refund anything you're not happy with buying. Bonus!

So I'm re-thinking my ideas.

I can picture what you're saying WSM. Though I think I will just get her a set of boots but measure her correctly. I did watch the Ruffs video on how to measure paws.

Casper needs paw protection for a different reason. He drags his back paws and causes injury to his knuckles and claws (even on grass). I wrap a layer of vet wrap over his feet and cover it with a couple of strips of cloth tape from Bunnings (similar to duct tape). I have to cover his feet from the back of his pads to the top of his knuckles but in your case you could just cover the pads. I use a strip of elastoplast tape on the top part of the vetwrap to stop the "booties" coming off.

WSM, you might want to try these: HindlimbDorsi.1.jpg

Available through Therapaw

... just a thought - if the pavement is too hot for the mushers secret to be effective then in my opinion it is too hot for the dog to be out walking during these hours. While boots will offer far better protection they will also reduce the amount of heat able to be released via the paws.