Cause Of Wound? Should I Be Worried?

luffy4688

My dogs don't react at all when I put peroxide on. I've used it on myself and it honestly doesn't sting much at all.

Yonjuro, I'll have to check the strength for you.

THanks Mim,

Also got to agree from personal experience that peroxide doesn't sting anywhere near what apple cider vinegar does.

Edited by Yonjuro

..maybe you have a sensitivity to the active ingredient. My family only use the brown betadine liquid from the chemist. Our vet also sells it in plain bottles for far cheaper than the branded stuff.

Edited by Yonjuro

3% peroxide(available from the supermarket in the first aid section) doesn't particularly sting on open wounds. I use it extensively for other things and often end up with it on my hands as a result and there's always scratches on my hands from garden work, etc.

Hi guys!

Just an update. As you all have probably deduced by now, it is a hot spot.

The vet has shaved the area surrounding it. Picture below. This was taken right after he came back from the vet.

Basically the vet prescribed some antibiotics. And also Dermcare's Pyohex Medicated Shampoo & Conditioner. So far so good, it seems to be healing, and more importantly, Bailey's actually ignoring the wound. I guess the threat of putting on a cone collar on him is enough to deter him! I've also been regularly inspecting the area to make sure it's dry.

Reading the replies above, I understand there's probably more better and/or cost effective methods to deal with it. But being the first time I've dealt with this and having no experience at all, I elected to follow the vet's advice. I've bookmarked this thread though, definitely some useful advice I can rely on if it happens again!

*waves to Mim & Aziah!* Always good to see some old corgi regulars around!

IMG_20140822_134143_zps685b8173.jpg

Edited by luffy4688

that looks fine :)

Another thing - keep coat well brushed - often it's the woolly /dead hair which sometimes forms a nice layer under which the skin doesn't dry ..and teh 'bugs' get a toehold .I imagine corgis coats to be a bit like labs - who can be plagued by these darn things :)

That's looking good; it'll heal in a jiffy!

Does he have any lasting effects from his back? Or is he completely recovered?

Hi Mim,

There are some lasting effects. His rear left leg is not as strong or as coordinated as before. He walks fine, it's when it comes to running and when he tries to turn, sometimes with his left as the pivot, he slips. He's not in any pain & it doesn't seem to bother him.