Teeth Cleaning

Airedaler

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vet cleans my toy poodle's teeth without a GA. The dog is sedated with gas and I sit in on the procedure. The dog recovers well without the drama of being left at the surgery for hours :)

That is good to know. Next time I have my 12 yo toy poodle's teeth cleaned I will mention this to the vet.

I've been waiting for this kind of service in Australia, like Jules I also have a dog that can't go under aenesthetic. Does anyone know if they offer this anywhere in Nsw?

Hankodie, you may be interested in this message taken from Fresh Breath Doggie Dental facebook page

I am holding an anesthesia free dog and cat teeth cleaning clinic on November 29th and 30th in the Sydney area in Maroubra Beach spots are booking fast please contact me soon to secure a place.

I have decided to have my boy done on Tuesday so will report back as to how it all goes.

Edited to correct the result of not reading what I typed.

Edited by Airedaler

I've been waiting for this kind of service in Australia, like Jules I also have a dog that can't go under aenesthetic. Does anyone know if they offer this anywhere in Nsw?

Hankodie, you may be interested in this message taken from Fresh Breath Doggie Dental facebook page

I am holding an anesthesia free dog and cat teeth cleaning clinic on November 29th and 30th in the Sydney area in Maroubra Beach spots are booking fast please contact me soon to secure a place.

I am decided to have my boy done on Tuesday so will report back as to how it all goes.

Looking forward to the report :)

My vet cleans my toy poodle's teeth without a GA. The dog is sedated with gas and I sit in on the procedure. The dog recovers well without the drama of being left at the surgery for hours :)

That is good to know. Next time I have my 12 yo toy poodle's teeth cleaned I will mention this to the vet.

I just wanted to clarify that the gas your dog receives is still a general anaesthetic (most likely isoflurane) . It is a different method of delivery. Inhalation vs. intravenous.

Inhalation anaesthetic is safer in that it is expelled very quickly (via the lungs) whereas intravenous anaesthetic needs to be metabolized which takes time. Induction with an inhalation agent is usually more stressful on an animal as they can taste/smell the anaesthetic and often fight it (obviously different for different animals). But it is good that animals do recover so quickly from this method.

I just wanted to clarify that the gas your dog receives is still a general anaesthetic (most likely isoflurane) . It is a different method of delivery. Inhalation vs. intravenous.

Inhalation anaesthetic is safer in that it is expelled very quickly (via the lungs) whereas intravenous anaesthetic needs to be metabolized which takes time. Induction with an inhalation agent is usually more stressful on an animal as they can taste/smell the anaesthetic and often fight it (obviously different for different animals). But it is good that animals do recover so quickly from this method.

Thanks for that info jrm :)

Their website is not very forthcoming with information. It doesn't even tell us where this vet dentist is located. It seems they are somewhere in Victoria.

I would really like to know how they relax dogs and particularly cats enough to be able to carry out the anaesthesia free dental procedure. The animals would already be stressed simply by being in an unfamiliar environment. It is beyond my imagination to picture animals 'opening wide' on the command by the dentist.

The concept is great but I would like more information about how this is done.

I think they are in Melbourne.

that's what it says on the website.

Their website is not very forthcoming with information. It doesn't even tell us where this vet dentist is located. It seems they are somewhere in Victoria.

I would really like to know how they relax dogs and particularly cats enough to be able to carry out the anaesthesia free dental procedure. The animals would already be stressed simply by being in an unfamiliar environment. It is beyond my imagination to picture animals 'opening wide' on the command by the dentist.

The concept is great but I would like more information about how this is done.

I think they are in Melbourne.

that's what it says on the website.

Well yes, they are in Melbourne but I doubt they would be in the CBD. According to a previous post on here they are in Dandenong.

So, today was the day I had Gus' teeth cleaned without a GA.

Brian from Fresh Breath Cat & Dog Teeth Cleaning came and on arrival spent 15 minutes or so chatting while basically ignoring Gus after this time he interacted with Gus who was quite relaxed in his own environment. Gus is a bit of a stress head in as much as while he is comfortable with what he knows he is not always so in new situations.

Within a very short time he and Brian were happy together. Time to start the process.

Firstly let me say NO SEDATION was used. Gus was wrapped in a sheet and put on his usual inside mat on his side. Brian simply talked calmly to him and stroked him in order for Gus to relax at which stage he slowly started scaling the teeth. When Gus became restless Brian stopped for a while to allow Gus to relax again and then proceeded. After about 30 minutes one side was finished and Gus was let up for a break. Brain and I had a cuppa and 10 minutes later did the sheet wrapping again and were ready to do the second half of Gus's teeth. At one point Gus was so relaxed he went to sleep!!!!! Yes, my stress head boy actually went to sleep while a strange person scraped away at his teeth.

The whole process took about an hour and a half and Gus now has lovely clean teeth, fresh breath and no after effect of a GA.

I would totally recommend this method and for those dogs that for medical reasons cannot have GA's it would be wonderful. It is still not cheap but a lot cheaper than I have been quoted and IMO just as good a job was done.

Gus' teeth before - not too bad for a 12 year old.

post-44959-0-41091400-1415673712_thumb.jpg

Stage 1 - Wrapping

post-44959-0-53708400-1415673734_thumb.jpg

A relaxed Gus - no restraint and he is quite calm

post-44959-0-95736200-1415673780_thumb.jpg

Brian working on Gus

post-44959-0-92517400-1415673839_thumb.jpg

Finished, nice white, clean teeth

post-44959-0-70909600-1415673910_thumb.jpg

ETA: As I see it the possible downside to this procedure would be if there was any further dental work required. Brian does not do extractions and so if that was necessary Veterinary intervention and GA would be necessary.

Edited by Airedaler

So, today was the day I had Gus' teeth cleaned without a GA.

Brian from Fresh Breath Cat & Dog Teeth Cleaning came and on arrival spent 15 minutes or so chatting while basically ignoring Gus after this time he interacted with Gus who was quite relaxed in his own environment. Gus is a bit of a stress head in as much as while he is comfortable with what he knows he is not always so in new situations.

Within a very short time he and Brian were happy together. Time to start the process.

Firstly let me say NO SEDATION was used. Gus was wrapped in a sheet and put on his usual inside mat on his side. Brian simply talked calmly to him and stroked him in order for Gus to relax at which stage he slowly started scaling the teeth. When Gus became restless Brian stopped for a while to allow Gus to relax again and then proceeded. After about 30 minutes one side was finished and Gus was let up for a break. Brain and I had a cuppa and 10 minutes later did the sheet wrapping again and were ready to do the second half of Gus's teeth. At one point Gus was so relaxed he went to sleep!!!!! Yes, my stress head boy actually went to sleep while a strange person scraped away at his teeth.

The whole process took about an hour and a half and Gus now has lovely clean teeth, fresh breath and no after effect of a GA.

I would totally recommend this method and for those dogs that for medical reasons cannot have GA's it would be wonderful. It is still not cheap but a lot cheaper than I have been quoted and IMO just as good a job was done.

Gus' teeth before - not too bad for a 12 year old.

post-44959-0-41091400-1415673712_thumb.jpg

Stage 1 - Wrapping

post-44959-0-53708400-1415673734_thumb.jpg

A relaxed Gus - no restraint and he is quite calm

post-44959-0-95736200-1415673780_thumb.jpg

Brian working on Gus

post-44959-0-92517400-1415673839_thumb.jpg

Finished, nice white, clean teeth

post-44959-0-70909600-1415673910_thumb.jpg

ETA: As I see it the possible downside to this procedure would be if there was any further dental work required. Brian does not do extractions and so if that was necessary Veterinary intervention and GA would be necessary.

looks great.....

Airdaler that looks fantastic! Great for pups who can't have a GA.

Sorry if this question is a bit off topic but should I be brushing my lab's teeth as well as giving him things to chew? Or does he not need brushing because he gets plenty of bones/cow hooves etc.? His teeth look pretty good to me but I am definitely no expert and don't really know what to look for. It has only just occurred to me that perhaps I should be doing both? :confused:

what would the veterinarian have charged you to do it?

I was quoted a minimum of $500 by 2 Vets.

So does a minimum mean that it could of ended up to be higher due to anesthesia use difficulty of cleaning etc

Quite often that is the quote for a basic clean/scale and a GA. IT goes upwards if they find any teeth that require removal or further work. If there is a tooth removal required, the time and cost depends on which tooth it is. A carnassial has three roots and a big tooth, a canine has as much if not more root below the gum line, than above the gum line. An incisor takes very little to remove.

I would also be interested to know how much this teeth cleaning costs. When one of my Cavaliers had a dental at the vets with a GA it cost more than $500. That did not include taking bloods but did include fluids and pain relief meds plus antibiotics.