Decisions Decisions

Perfume

I really think that you do need to attend a few all breeds dog shows and get a feel for all these breeds.

The average Chihuahua today may not be much like the one you remember from your childhood at all. Temperaments can vary wildly, especially the backyard bred ones, you might have to hunt for quite a while to find a breeder who is producing healthy dogs with the temperament that you seek.

Another option, not quite as good as meeting the breeds, is possibly take as many as possible of the find-a-breed quizzes that abound on the Internet (Selectapet and the like). Google "choose my breed quiz" and dozens will pop up. If you take as many quizzes as possible the biases of the various quizzes will cancel each other out and you should see the same few breeds being suggested again and again. Agree on the quiz answers with your husband so that you end up with a breed you both like. The answers may surprise you!

And I have one more suggestion for you to look at different dogs. Here are many different dogs, all shapes, sizes and ages most of which are in foster homes who can give you heaps of details about the individual temperaments and lifestyle needs of each one. Almost none are baby puppies and few are purebred, but they all do need homes.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the Dog Lovers Show on sat and had to visit the chihuahua breed stand. I have a chi x foxy that is a great dog, so loyal and good to train. Did quite a bit of agility with her too.

At the stand there was a cream long haired chi. It was a fantastic example of its breed. Lovin pats from adults and kids alike. It was rolling on its back to get belly pats. Unfortunately no puppies from this breeder at the moment with this breeder.

I really appreciated this lovely dog. Research, you want a chihuahua like this.

Chihuahua is a bit different from the other choices. Give hubby a vote but take him to a show too to shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree with you ,Dancinbnc.Every dog is different,even when the same breed .I really think the gene pool in some of the more uncommon breeds ,in a small country makes a difference .Suki ,my male JS was from different lineage ,but still similar traits to Lulu .I didn't mean to imply she is not good with strangers ,just disinterested .I'm in bed sick today ,and feel really guilty...there's two white bundles of fluff cuddled into me ...She is amazing in that ,having a chronic illness I'm often in pain .She always knows and does not leave me until I'm up and about again! That's what I meant about being very tuned in to you. Having said all that I love the Shelties.I love what DDD said...one of each. :)

If I could have my way I would most definitely have one of each but my husband has other ideas, lol. I do love the look of both, perhaps the white coat of the JS has me entranced that little bit more but I think the sheltie is more what I'm after due to being more responsive to training. Is there any real difference between the girls and the boys?

Is there any real difference between the girls and the boys?

The boys are more likely to cock their legs to pee unless you train them not to.

At club - there's a mix. How well they do seems to have more to do with the trainer than the sex of the dog.

Some girls of any breed are just as good as the boys in 'cocking' their leg and/or marking territory. My standard Poodle was desexed at 18 mths of age yet he squats and isn't interested in marking territory (touch wood). I guess not having other male dogs in his company helped somewhat, lol.

I was more or less interested to know which of the two sexes is more affectionate or does it depend on the individual dog…..

Haven't noticed any sex link to affectionate dogs - at least with relative strangers.

I've got one friend who has two boy shelties - and one is great with people and the other not so much. But even the shy one will schmooze for pats once he gets used to you.

Same with another couple of friends who have mostly girl dogs... some are shy and some are really all over you.

This is why you have to meet the breeders and the dogs and find out what breed lines suit you best. Tho the temperament can vary across a litter too...

The AWL dog I have at the moment - was the friendly one, and loud at dinner time. Her sister from the same litter - didn't want to know anything about humans.