Decisions Decisions

Perfume

A previous boss of mine breeds JS. Temperament seems to vary a lot! One of hers was full on, very energetic and loved all people, could be a bit bossy with other dogs. Would have been a good sports dog if that's what she was into. Some of the others were timid or standoffish.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention I currently own a Standard Poodle, he's 4yo and desexed. He sleeps inside on his own bed on my bedroom floor.

Well that's cruel. Why isn't he on your bed? :rofl: :rofl:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There's no space for him on our bed. It's a queen size bed and it's comfortable enough for my hubby and myself. The thought of upgrading to a king size bed has dawned on me but unless I'm keen for a divorce, I'm better off leaving things just as they are, lol.

As suggested i think u really need to go to a show and meet some of each.

Then go to a agility trial and see those shelties ..A breeder mentioned soft quiet dogs.some are but in agility i see a lot that are great dogs for agility but more like bc's.

I only know three Jap S and all three are well trained and one does onefience. One is really dog friendly and one is in love with me when i see it at training.

And i think one diference is the habit of barking.guess who tends to be noisy of the two?

The barking wouldn't be a problem as I would have the patience to teach him to keep it to a minimum. Not sure about the OH though. I have met both shelties and JS and am still strapped for a decision. The thought that they can be barkers is of concern though.

Most of the shelties I've met are chatty in inverse proportion to their owners.

If their owner is quiet - the sheltie makes up for it, and vice versa.

I think - but I could be wrong - but you might have more choice and find it easier to get a puppy if you want a sheltie than if you want a Japanese spitz.

I would never get a short haired breed even with the threat of ticks, don't like the look or feel of them. as long as you run your hands through the coat and check regularly you should be fine.

Both of my JS have excellent recall, It depends on the training you do. They also rather stick close to me than go galavanting off. Also depends on tje temperament, my female is super easy to train, male is harder but just wants to please. They definitely adore their chosen 'human', but I dont find them nervous or skittish around strangers, just indifferent and approach them in their own time.

They are all so different. My JS is very hyperactive, not the slightest bit nervous, loves everyone and loves to run as far and fast as he can. His recall is pretty good now a 3 years old but hopeless with the distraction of any person or dog as he always wants to rush up to say hello. Far too friendly for his own safety. He is much harder to train than most as he isn't a foodie and treats cannot compete with his excitement of being out and about. It took me until he was 8 months to get any sense out of him on a lead. My Border Collies on the other hand were all perfectly lead trained and totally focused on training and pleasing me, in any environment by 10-12 weeks. I love my JS and he provides endless entertainment with his antics but he is so different to a BC that they are like a different species.

Your JS sounds very different to mine. While food helps with training, a major motivator for my male is just the desire to please and get attention/cuddles.

Definitely depends on the individual and also the family lines too. I have noticed a substantial difference in my dogs, most of their close relatives to other JS. My dogs are fairly typical in temperament for their gender from the breeder I got them from, and so were the puppies I bred from my female.

Now it's really getting tricky ,HW ! It's a bit soon to tell as my GS is only 4 months old ,but his nature is entirely different to Lulu.He's more laid back ,less vocal and has a very outgoing nature .As for stopping the yapping in a JS ...it's almost impossible.OH and I are retired ,so spend hours with the dogs ,playing and training but I swear if a leaf moves at the bottom paddock she's away...When I got my 1st JS about 20 yrs ago ,I was shocked to find he had been de barked (overseas breeder...long story ).His bark did return when he was around the other dogs ,but always softer.Not that I would ever do that ,but it was common in NZ about 25yrs ago.Banned now ,I think fortunately.

Agree with those who advise that you meet both breeds.

And just to up the challenge, also consider taking a look at the German Spitz. cool.gif

Now there's a dog. UK friend's Mum had one.

The Mum fell over and knocked herself out. Her boy Spitz got the Chi to stand guard. Then he went outside to the fence by the neighbour and called for help....

Neighbours were home and recognised that the dog was trying to tell them something.

The Mum ended up in hospital with a broken hip. Her Spitz was hand fed chicken as rewards for ages.

:)

Oh, VM, that brings back memories. I rescued a German Spitz many years ago - what a mess he was in, so much so that my groomer came over and groomed him at home for me. He was beautiful, pitch black and lovely nature. I had intended to keep him, but one of my dogs at the time was insanely jealouse of him :( . He ended up going to a home where there already was a rescue dog and it was love love love at firt sight. I'll have to find my photos.

Just adding that even tho' there are common traits within a breed, the individual dogs can vary greatly. We had two much loved Shelties, a glorious sable girl, Shelley, and a handsome tricolour boy, Danny. Shelley came from a top Qld breeder when she was 7 months old & had grown too tall for showing. Danny was a rescue who'd been found straying in awful condition & never claimed.

They were like chalk & cheese. Shelley was a noisy, bossy drama queen who had something to say about everything. And did eventually obey.... but made sure she took her time so you didn't take her for granted :) Danny was sweet, loving and quiet ... & so responsive. In fact his nickname was Saint Danny. Shelley's nickname was the Mouth from the South. But we adored them both.

given my husband does not like barking dogs, that I will opt for a chihuahua instead

Chi can bark with the best of them. It's all a matter of the right training...

There's one around the corner from me that barks at everything that walks past... and it's on the corner of a fairly busy intersection so it's barking all day while the owners are out.

I would just aim for the dog you really would love to own, and then be choosey about the kennel/parents you get it from - the rest is about management and training. Any dog will bark if they are bored and left in the yard with nothing better to do. And many breeds will bark when people ring the door bell etc. All comes down to training and realistic expectations.

Best of luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:

I would just aim for the dog you really would love to own, and then be choosey about the kennel/parents you get it from - the rest is about management and training. Any dog will bark if they are bored and left in the yard with nothing better to do. And many breeds will bark when people ring the door bell etc. All comes down to training and realistic expectations.

Best of luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:

I agree. But some breeds are definitely more easily triggered to bark than others. I'd not consider any of Perfume's potential breeds particularly quiet.

Having had a Chihuahua before, I found her quite easy to keep in check being such a small, dainty breed. They don't seem to require the amount of exercise a SS or JS does. A lot less shedding too although a slicker brush put to good use every day would have kept the others from shedding excessively. The truth is all three breeds appeal to me but I also have to take into account how my husband feels and he has a penchant for smaller dogs.