Raw Feeding Meat And Bones Only?

Get a few of those cheap ice block trays and put the daily amount in a section, this way you just pop out what you need and there is no waste. Adding a piece of kidney to the same section will cover your organ requirements :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn't want to edit my old post as I forgot something pretty important; make sure your dogs get their vitamin D from somewhere! Whether that be fish (not always so cost effective when feeding bigger dogs as the amount of fish needed is pretty high) or supplement, the main thing is that they get it somehow from their diet. I give 25mcg a day. Dogs are unable to synthesise vitamin D out of sunlight.

Edited by Black_jackal

I wouldn't worry about the garlic and parsley too much - the former was associated with repelling fleas but this is a myth arising out of some long ago research. The latter might freshen the breath but excessive amounts can cause loose stools.

For your Dally, canned salmon is relatively moderate purine (compared with tuna) and is a good source of dietary vitamin D but I'm not sure how much he'd need. A supplement might be easier as B_j pointed out. Hugs to the old fella :)

to be honest I keep my old dallys diet pretty basic so I don't upset his tum.

I will look at the vit tabs then.

so is the general thought that the grains are not needed? I did read it helped them poop?

I can easily make up some oats and add the flaxseed daily.

to be honest I keep my old dallys diet pretty basic so I don't upset his tum.

I will look at the vit tabs then.

so is the general thought that the grains are not needed? I did read it helped them poop?

I can easily make up some oats and add the flaxseed daily.

Grains are not needed, I'd feed rolled oats before flaxseed.

juice, I agree with soaked rolled oats before flaxseed meal, or alternatively what I am doing now is adding some cooked green lentils with some grated, juiced or even lightly microwaved vegies. I cook up the lentils on the weekend, divide into portions & freeze. A friend of mine buys bags of frozen diced carrots & peas adding some to the diet of her dog a couple of times a week.

If you feel the dogs are missing out on vitamins & minerals then add the VAN Health Booster as a supplement - this is basically the powder contents of the bag of dry VAN mix.

As regards your dally, the hard nuggets of faeces he is passing in his sleep indicates too much bone content in the diet. I have found with all my old dogs I had to back off bones a bit & feed more meat & softer foods.

I just bought a bag of rolled oats and it said to boil them , so I did a cupful and its now in the fridge, can I just soak them then instead?

I did buy vit D tablets, woolies had no flaxseed ,so will have to look elsewhere anyway.

I will just give my dally his drumstick for brekky then and no more bones in his tea.

I will look at the health booster, and lentils aswell, thanks.

He does it when he is awake too, his hips have gone, so as he push's to get up he poops.I have to lift him up most of the time now. :(

Vitamin D is a tricky one as it can be quite toxic to dogs if you are not careful. Raw Liver and Kidney should have enough Vit D for your dog (happy to be corrected though). Vit D is also in fish especially the skins of the fatty types.

This link has some info on Vit D and dogs

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/05/09/dog-vitamin-d-levels.aspx

I used to just soak the rolled oats overnight in some milk and then add hot water to it in the morning, dogs loved it in winter time!

There have been some concerns about flax with breeding animals on a couple of repo groups I am a member of. Not a problem for you Juice but anyone intending to breed their animals should do some research.

I wouldn't worry about the garlic and parsley too much - the former was associated with repelling fleas but this is a myth arising out of some long ago research. The latter might freshen the breath but excessive amounts can cause loose stools.

Garlic is anti-fungal, antiviral & antibiotic without affecting the good bacteria in the gut.

Parsley is a rich source of antioxidants, folic acid & vitamin C. It also contains vitamin A. It helps the body to eliminate toxins & stimulates appetite.

I just bought a bag of rolled oats and it said to boil them , so I did a cupful and its now in the fridge, can I just soak them then instead?

The rolled oats in VAN are not cooked, you just soak them.

You know, if you really want to replicate VAN you could buy whole oats (fed to horses) from a stock feed place & soak as they are the harder grains in VAN which pass through the digestive tract whole.

soaking the oats overnight is easier, that's what I did with VANS anyway.

They get liver or kidney daily, so perhaps I wont use the tablets then.

I am not really bothered about copying the VANS, just looking at a cheaper way of feeding, could I just add parsley and garlic to the oats ? and if so how much, I am soaking a cup a day which was the same as used of VANS each day between them.

I don't have a coffee grinder for flaxseed , will see whats available, but not that fussed if its not needed.

Edited by juice

Rebanne ,what other dried stuff could I soak with the oats?

I would think whatever you wanted. I only ever fed plain porridge, sometimes with an egg added in. I did do some barley once or twice for my dogs but they didn't seem very fond of it, was a few years ago now. I think you can get dried vegies. Sometimes I buy the cheap brand of frozen mixed vegies and feed that to the dogs but I am not a big believer in vegies for dogs. When I fed raw 100% I followed the original Give Your Dog A Bone. I actually was only feeding them every 2nd day until I go the hang of the amounts of bone and meat they needed. Dogs were happy but I wasn't :D

Now I just feed dry and add bits and pieces to that but never vegies and not every day. My dogs don't seem bored with getting the same thing twice a day every day. They do like the odd carrot to chew on, comes out as it goes in :laugh: