Dogs & Nesting Birds.

Christina

Spring again & I know why they have the saying bird brained. Nests everywhere but yet again they have nested in this low tree. The dogs are obsessed by the cheeping babes & last year caught 3 babes on their 1st flight :cry: Not mauled just here comes the toy & I caught it, wags tail & drops it but they have ate a couple of dead unfeathered ones that dropped to the ground from the verandah nests.

Yesterday I put a pen all the way around the tree & it was funny watching them. Hope the baby birds make it this year. I can see one lot & they are just feathered.

post-8073-0-97392900-1416172215_thumb.jpg

Yeah I know the pain, Ronin got his first at 12 weeks old and 2 more this month. I guess they are fair game and I suppose it is right that eats the whole bird rather than just kill or play :eek:

He is super smart at hunting. This is a new pic taken last friday when he has changed up the tactics.

post-49154-0-08668800-1416193430_thumb.jpg

Yeah I know the pain, Ronin got his first at 12 weeks old and 2 more this month. I guess they are fair game and I suppose it is right that eats the whole bird rather than just kill or play :eek:

He is super smart at hunting. This is a new pic taken last friday when he has changed up the tactics.

Ronin is super smart, mine just try and catch the low flying ones

Ronin is super smart, mine just try and catch the low flying ones

He is that :D , when he got the last one early in the morning he still begged for his brekky and got it as the Mrs didn't see the kill. So much for Huskies being fussy eaters of small meals LOL

Birds seem smart enough to stay out of my yard, the Samoyeds are a death sentence to anything that flies too low.

When ZsaZsa, brat Vizsla, could not get birds on the wing in the back yard, she took to catching the skinks.

Had several generations of tailess critters.

Yet, in the field, ZsaZsa always could retrieve.

:)

Birds seem smart enough to stay out of my yard, the Samoyeds are a death sentence to anything that flies too low.

When ZsaZsa, brat Vizsla, could not get birds on the wing in the back yard, she took to catching the skinks.

Had several generations of tailess critters.

Yet, in the field, ZsaZsa always could retrieve.

:)

My fools chase and catch bees........

I have seen Ronin stalk like a tiger, he gets very low to the ground and slowly creeps forward, sometimes even ducking his head behind a pot plant. Before springing forth :D

Natural instincts in dogs is an amazing phenomenon.

Pickles tries to get them, but her mobility issues and lack of coordination mean that she hasn't caught anything to date.

Zeddy and Trouble (Lab) are content to leave them be.

Harper tells them to get out of her yard, but doesn't try to kill them.

T.

Natural instincts in dogs is an amazing phenomenon.

Or the lack thereof. :D

Aww, he's just a gentle soul :)

Our problem is that Ronin has been self rewarded by actually catching his prey and he obviously likes the taste :D I am sure he wouldn't have bothered if he never had success. He is however gentle with the tiniest of dogs and hopefully cats are smart enough to stay out of his yard. I have seen one cat sit up on a wall and taunt him and pray it never becomes prey.