Card For Wallet

BarbedWire

Does anyone know where you can either get or have made a credit card sized laminated card saying that you own dogs. I want one for my wallet just in case I'm in an accident or something similar and people will know that I have dogs at home that will need to be cared for.

That's an excellent question. For those of us who live alone this is an issue, especially we who are elderly. Who is your next of kin who would be notified if you were in an accident? That person should be made aware you have dogs and should know your wishes about what should happen to the dogs if you are indisposed.

I have lung disease and had a flare up last week. On Thursday my doctor said she needed to send me to hospital. As I live alone and have no one to care for my dogs I said hospital is not an option for me because of my dogs. (I am recovering without a hospital admission). My next of kin have been notified of my wishes regarding the dogs if anything were to happen to me but they're not dog people and wouldn't care for my dogs. I have notified my next of kin should anything happen to me my elderly dogs with health problems are to be taken a specific vet at my local practice to be put to sleep. My vet is aware of my wishes. My dogs are not rehomeable at their age with their health problems.

Thanks for the replies. I will try Officeworks. Thanks for the suggestion Airedaler. CnR I am thinking more if I were temporarily out of action and unconscious. it would be awful if my dogs were alone in the house and no-one knew they were there.

Does anyone know where you can either get or have made a credit card sized laminated card saying that you own dogs. I want one for my wallet just in case I'm in an accident or something similar and people will know that I have dogs at home that will need to be cared for.

My DOGS Victoria membership card says I have dogs at home

CnR I am thinking more if I were temporarily out of action and unconscious. it would be awful if my dogs were alone in the house and no-one knew they were there.

I share your fears of my dogs being left alone in the house with no one to feed them and care for them.

Thanks for the replies. I will try Officeworks. Thanks for the suggestion Airedaler. CnR I am thinking more if I were temporarily out of action and unconscious. it would be awful if my dogs were alone in the house and no-one knew they were there.

That's such a great idea. I can recall when I was working in ER, sometimes finding out from patients that they had animals at home that needed attention.

We would often call the local Police Station to let them know.

Print them up yourself or visit Vistaprint and have them done but you will still need to laminate them yourself. Pouches are available at Officeworks etc. Officeworks may even do them for you depending on how many you want.

Great idea.

Excellent question, sars. Very relevant to a lot of people who now live alone.

We have a friend who lives alone in the next suburb, with 2 much loved cats. I've told her that in any emergency I would care for the pusses.... who are inside cats. So if she had a card like that, I'd be happy to have my name on it as contact person for them.

You need to put it somewhere it will be seen - they aren't going to ruffle through all places in your wallet. Mine is in the clear section but where you normally put your licence. It is also on the screensaver of my phone ( in case of emergency call xxx. Aldo call xxx to take care of my dogs). I also have my cousins phone number under ICE in my contacts on my phone. My cousin is diabetic and the hospital told her to do this as paramedics will apparently look up you in case of emergency ( ie ICE) contact. No good of your phone is locked though, hence the screen saver idea.

Something simple like this works:

Name:..........................................

Address:.......................................

Next of Kin contact:...........................

Nmae of Vet....................................

Message: Please be aware that I have pets at my home. They will need to be checked for their welfare.

There are....................( describe the pets).

.....................................................................................................................

There are several things that might be considered.

Have your next of kin aware of the chance of being contacted.

Ask your Vet to mark on your file that you have this card & authorise him to help. ( Subject to being discussed of course).

Ask your local Police if they would be prepared to have a note against your address that there are pets on the property

Events in life happen and it's responsible of a pet owner to cover themselves.

You need to put it somewhere it will be seen - they aren't going to ruffle through all places in your wallet. Mine is in the clear section but where you normally put your licence. It is also on the screensaver of my phone ( in case of emergency call xxx. Aldo call xxx to take care of my dogs)..... No good of your phone is locked though, hence the screen saver idea.

More excellent ideas. Good to see them spread around.

In the contacts on my mobile phone I have under ICE (in case of emergency) my next of kin contact and he has the particulars of the boarding kennel and pet sitter I use.

I have an ICE contact too. But also a passcode on my phone.. So don't know how useful that is.

The glovebox of my car has a laminated page with my wishes and photos of my pets too though.

Thankyou for all your suggestions. I do have Ice numbers in my mobile phone but I often forget to take it with me when I go shopping and my Ice contacts are interstate anyway. I hate the thought of my dogs being inside the house for a few days and no-one knowing they are there. I just want a card that says I have pets at home which will need to be checked if for whatever reason I am incapacitated. I will put it in with my licence so it is an obvious place. I already have a little card that gives my blood group, so I will put them together. I will go to Officeworks tomorrow and see if I can get a little laminated pouch. Thankyou to everyone. Some really good suggestions.

My DOGS Victoria membership card says I have dogs at home

DOGS NSW likewise :)