Vet Perth

DobieMum

I've been here a year now, but I've been thoroughly spoiled before with vets, having two really good ones. So on the lookout for a great one here in Perth. I'm on the Northside but don't mind travelling, for the right vet.

I only see a vet two or three times a year (knock on wood, KNOCK on wood), but I want a vet that gets to know me and my pets and works with me to get the best out of them, not their hip pocket. I don't mind travling a bit for the right one. Has anyone any suggestions?

I haven't had any real problems with my boy apart from his cryrptorchidism - I was recommended Dr Rodney Sundra from Morley Vet Centre. He was recommended to me after my previous vet of 14 years alpha rolled Ronin at 12 weeks and caused me some stress. Dr Rodney was recommended to me by Kathy Kopellis McLeod who has seen him for a long time.

He is very kind, gentle and understanding and this really helps with a big energetic dog like a Husky. Ronin is not afraid of him and wags his tail and tries to cuddle him when we visit :D

You are most welcome

I was very hesitant to go to one of the bigger places - but the recommendation I received was from someone with experience that couldn't be taken lightly. Prices have been quite reasonable too.

What I also liked was that when he asked me about Ronins diet, I told he was previously of mixed kibble and raw and now on fully prey model raw, he said his condition is so great to not change a thing. Another thing I liked was when he asked me about what I needed to see the previous vet about so he could get background I mentioned it was itchiness when he was around 10-12 weeks. I said that I had sorted it out with Calendua tea and he wrote it down as something he would look into recommending to some clients with persistent itchiness :thumbsup:

Clive Lamond at Ocean Reef Vet (in Heathridge). He saved Casper's life a couple of times with his experience and knowledge. He found a lump in Casper's abdomen by feel and diagnosed Degenerative Myelopathy within a couple of minutes. His vet nurses are fantastic and caring as well. On Casper's unexpected last day, they let me stay in their backup consulting room as long as I needed with Casper. I stayed around 7 hours holding my boy before being strong enough to let him go.

The only downside is that he only works in the mornings. There are other vets there but as I insisted on only seeing Clive, I cannot comment on the others though I've heard that Jeannine is very good and has been with the surgery for a very long time.

Thanks for all of the recommendations!! I appreciate it and will look into all of them.

White Shephard Mum I swim my dogs there and love all of the nurses, but struggle with the vets, but o haven't met Clive yet, but mornings only just won't work.

Thanks for all of the recommendations!! I appreciate it and will look into all of them.

White Shephard Mum I swim my dogs there and love all of the nurses, but struggle with the vets, but o haven't met Clive yet, but mornings only just won't work.

Sam used to do Casper's treadmill sessions. She is also the angel who helped both my dogs on their final journeys and I am forever grateful to her for that.

I used to take time off work to see Clive. I'd be there for a 9am appointment and work in the time when I got back to work (1-2 lunch breaks usually covered that!)

If your dog ever has a serious problem, or you have an after hours emergency, get on the freeway and go to the Murdoch Uni Veterinary hospital. They know their stuff and treatment is first class.

. He was recommended to me after my previous vet of 14 years alpha rolled Ronin at 12 weeks

He is very kind, gentle and understanding and this really helps with a big energetic dog like a Husky. Ronin is not afraid of him and wags his tail and tries to cuddle him when we visit :D

I had to read that twice and swear.

The trainer at Puppy School was teaching that and demanded Horrible Herbert know about the techinque. He never will.

So glad you could move on to a caring and understanding Vet who respects you and Ronin.

:(

Edited by VizslaMomma

. He was recommended to me after my previous vet of 14 years alpha rolled Ronin at 12 weeks

I had to read that twice and swear.

The trainer at Puppy School was teaching that and demanded Horrible Herbert know about the techinque. He never will.

So glad you could move on to a caring and understanding Vet who respects you and Ronin.

:(

Yeah, I was really shocked to be honest and so disappointed as he is a really great vet in all other aspects. I can say that our breeder and her husband wanted to drive across the Nullarbor to slap him :eek: Anyway it is all water under the bridge now :)

Yeah, I was really shocked to be honest and so disappointed as he is a really great vet in all other aspects. I can say that our breeder and her husband wanted to drive across the Nullarbor to slap him :eek: Anyway it is all water under the bridge now :)

I would have shared the driving.

As you say, lucky Ronin has a fine Vet now.

:D

What exactly did they do to him? I teach all my puppies to lay on their back and if they struggle I don't let them go. I don't throw then on their backs.

If I am looking at pups, I will roll them over I to the crook of my arm just to see their reaction.

I don't consider either of those things alpha rolling.

If, however, I took my pup to a vet they threw them onto their back and pinned them down then yes that would be alpha rolling. I have seen vets roll them onto their backs to check for hernias and give them a thorough inspection all over.

I don't really want to go much into it, but suffice it to say he was pinning down a 9 week old puppy and Ronin was screaming and screaming and he wouldn't let him up, he was very distressed which is not how I would like a first vet visit to be :( He wanted to teach him who is boss and said that he couldn't let him up until he stopped. Maybe not technically an Alpha roll, but enough to make me very upset at the time. Maybe it would work with another breed but definitely not with a Husky puppy.

Edited by Yonjuro

I don't really want to go much into it, but suffice it to say he was pinning down a 9 week old puppy and Ronin was screaming and screaming and he wouldn't let him up, he was very distressed which is not how I would like a first vet visit to be :( He wanted to teach him who is boss and said that he couldn't let him up until he stopped. Maybe not technically an Alpha roll, but enough to make me very upset at the time. Maybe it would work with another breed but definitely not with a Husky puppy.

Thats not ok with any breed.

If anyone did that to one of my dogs they would quickly see who screams louder as i pin them to the floor icon_smile_mad.gif

Thats not ok with any breed.

If anyone did that to one of my dogs they would quickly see who screams louder as i pin them to the floor icon_smile_mad.gif

I hear you Denali, I am no shrinking violet but must admit that I was pretty shocked and stunned at the time, I paid my fee, left and never went back. I considered going back without Ronin to have a 'chat' but decided that I had nothing to gain and I wouldn't be returning under any circumstances .

It was sad as I really liked the vet and had seen him for 14 years with my previous dog and he was very kind when it was time for her to be PTS. My parents still see him with their elderly dog so I just let it go.