What Would You Have Done?

Stressmagnet

You handled it better than I would have done. My temper would have completely gone out of control at the point where she went to kick the dog. Which would not have been wise.

All I can say is have your mobile handy & call the police if ever in a situation like this

& if you see a large number of people or gathering put your dog on a lead instantly.

Sounds like they were having a xmas get together & were all drunk. Maybe report to the police anyway in case more idiots decide the beach is a good spot for such parties.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people are just bl**dy idiots and it sounds like this group of young ladies fit that description perfectly. It really annoys me when non dog lovers go to offlead beaches and dog parks, when there are so many beaches and parks available for humans only, just unbelievable. :mad About 6 months ago, I got into an argument with a stupid older guy who came into a dogpark with this MacDonald's breakfast and coffee with no dog and berated/abused all the owners and dogs who went over to him as he was eating his food :mad I was so mad I stormed over and had a go at him and told him in no uncertain terms that he was a complete idiot for coming into a dogpark to have his breakfast FFS :eek: . Another time a family, this time with a dog, brought a picnic to the dogpark :eek: laying out their blanket on the ground and picnic basket and wondered why the dogs at the park were congregating around them, common sense seems to be sadly lacking these days. :mad

I think some people get some sort of perverse pleasure out of upsetting dog owners when they go to dog areas without a dog and then abuse dog owners like yourself who are just having a great time with their dog and it gets spoiled by prats like these girls.

Sorry your outing was spoilt by these troublemakers who were probably out to ruin somebodies day and unfortunately it happened to be yours. Silly cows!

We have had picnickers at the dog park too! WHAT WOULD POSSESS YOU?! Hahaha

Sounds like Ernie behaved fine. These girls were dropkicks and bogans by the sounds. Gus would have licked the woman on the floor half to death, haha. And if anyone tried to kick him and succeeded I would have no bones about making my feelings known.

TBH you should have just called the cops. Enjoy your drinking in public fines, 'ladies'.

Yup. Umina.

Any other beach suggestions HaxyWal? I was so hoping they weren't locals.

If I were you I'd drive over the hill to Pearl Beach or Patonga, it's too far for the ferals to drive. Parking will be hard this time of year and the Rangers will be deadly so you'll have to watch for that. This is a good link to show you all areas on the Coast, if the scroll to the bottom and click on list of beaches it tells you exactly where each area is.

http://www.gosford.nsw.gov.au/arts-culture-and-recreation/parks-playgrounds-reserves/dog-exercise-areas

Edited by HazyWal

Ok what would I have done...

First I panic and my brain goes to mush when people are abusing me - which makes it very hard to catch the dog. Fortunately the easiest way to get my dog away from situations like that is to run away screaming... and she chases me. (just great)...

Last time she had invaded some private property on the beach front that was entirely unfenced and undifferentiated from all the other beach front property where there is public access. My dog wanted to say hello to some giant hound that lived there and the owner would not stop yelling at me. The dog was fine, wanted to play. Poor thing. So eventually I caught my dog but it would have been quicker if the owner had shut up and also if she had not talked to my dog. My dog was entirely in the wrong - but she was there because the neighbours had thrown food rubbish into the dunes - I have a food detection dog - will find roast chicken 100m up wind.

But you can't train random people on the beach.

So warning signs of people that aren't going to like being greeted by a dog - especially a big one.

1. people with no dog of their own.

2. people with their dog but it's on lead and pulling like mad. or starts pulling if your dog approaches - easier to catch my dog before she reaches "I must greet" threshold.

3. people having food picnics on the ground.

4. drunk people - but don't see these very often.

5. people with small children.

other things I have to keep her away from - joggers, fishermen with bait buckets (covered or not), beach towels with dog treats underneath...

But - these idiot girls who were screaming...

I would have called the police after I'd backed off a safe distance.

1. drunk and disorderly is an offence

2. abusing people is an offence. calling them obscene names is an offence.

pretty sure these girls would have abused the cops too so would have been easy for the cops to decide where the problem was. And most beaches are no alcohol.

So I may have escaped that encounter - because they had no dog of their own... and possibly because they were clearly wobbly and drunk - weird people my dog finds very exciting eg women with umbrellas - so I catch her before she spots them if I can.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Before anyone else says ring the police it's pointless, especially on the Peninsula. They are too busy busting a meth house, attending a glassing at the OB Hotel, a home invasion of an elderly pensioner or someone holding up a bank. A bunch of abusive ferals drinking on the beach would be waaaaay down the list.

Before anyone else says ring the police it's pointless, especially on the Peninsula. They are too busy busting a meth house, attending a glassing at the OB Hotel, a home invasion of an elderly pensioner or someone holding up a bank. A bunch of abusive ferals drinking on the beach would be waaaaay down the list.

Aw...

My little suburb is lovely. :p

Aw...

Point Clare isn't on the Peninsula and yes it was lovely 40 years ago when I went to Point Clare Public School :)

Wow Stessmagnet, as someone else said, I think you did well to only give them the finger. How scary for you and how sad that the police are so busy with worse criminals that these kind of low life can get away with threatening people just trying to have a nice stroll on the beach. :( :(

This thread has also made me realise how lucky I am to live in the area I do.

Aw...

Point Clare isn't on the Peninsula and yes it was lovely 40 years ago when I went to Point Clare Public School :)

You realise this means I have to stalk you. I'll be looking at everyone with a certain type of dog (HAH). I live two streets behind the school on the cliff top. My oldest went to the scho but at the time they had an idiot principal so we left.

And yes, back on topic. I have a terrible temper but during what I refer to as the 'cancer years', I've learned to control it - life's too short. But it amazes me the sense of entitlement this group of women showed. I get my dog was in the wrong, but the level of abuse shown was breathtaking. I wasn't even given a chance to apologise.

I can only assume that they were, in fact, drunk. And I didn't realise. I would hate for that to be that woman's normal reaction. What if I had 13 items in front of her in the express checkout lane?

I still feel very sorry for the woman that Ernie scared. And I don't like the thought that she assumes I didn't care.

Oh wow, sorry to hear you had to go through this. You did nothing wrong and it sounds like this group were oxygen thieves - who in their right mind would bring a friend with a severe dog phobia to the dog beach. Sounds like it could have been drugs with the alcohol.

You did well to restrain yourself, I see no issues with your dog walking around and investigating people and things in the environment you were in. Yes recall is a valuable tool, but I don't think that a dog needs to me glued to your hip at all times when off lead in this sort of place.

Look on the bright side - if you had a dog that looked like a wolf (my Ronin) they would have had a real heart attack :D

Aw...

You realise this means I have to stalk you. I'll be looking at everyone with a certain type of dog (HAH). I live two streets behind the school on the cliff top. My oldest went to the scho but at the time they had an idiot principal so we left.

And yes, back on topic. I have a terrible temper but during what I refer to as the 'cancer years', I've learned to control it - life's too short. But it amazes me the sense of entitlement this group of women showed. I get my dog was in the wrong, but the level of abuse shown was breathtaking. I wasn't even given a chance to apologise.

I can only assume that they were, in fact, drunk. And I didn't realise. I would hate for that to be that woman's normal reaction. What if I had 13 items in front of her in the express checkout lane?

I still feel very sorry for the woman that Ernie scared. And I don't like the thought that she assumes I didn't care.

We lived in Hughes St when I was a kid but spent the last 30 years in Terrigal or "Feralgal" as the handful of locals left refer to it now. I moved to Victoria last month, after my dogs were attacked that was the straw that broke the camels back :mad

I also don't allow my dog to approach people off leash without permission, with or without dogs. For that you need a reliable recall. I am also of the opinion that all dogs should have a reliable recall even in off leash areas (although I know this is sometimes difficult!) However this woman's reaction definitely sounds way over the top. Her use of the C word and threatening to punch you is completely unacceptable in my books. I'm sorry you had to experience that. Try not to stew too much on it. Perhaps find a nicer beach to go to.

Agree with the above.

SM, I don't think you did any thing wrong either, think you're doing a wonderful job with Ernie and your willingness to learn and improve your training skills and ideas is wonderful, a real credit to you :thumbsup:

When we encounter people, dogs and people with dogs at the beach we frequent, we use these opportunities as scenarios to proof our dogs' recalls, stays and impulse control.

We will and do allow the dogs to approach certain dogs and/or people once we have had time to assess the situation/signals from said people/dogs, if and when our dogs have shown us that they have either come when called or remained by us when cued to.

If all participants seem friendly an willing we will then give a cue for our dogs to approach in a calm and friendly fashion. Under no circumstances are they permitted to do so until such time. So basically, social moments are always monitored, controlled and by our say so only.

I also don't allow my dog to approach people off leash without permission, with or without dogs. For that you need a reliable recall. I am also of the opinion that all dogs should have a reliable recall even in off leash areas (although I know this is sometimes difficult!) However this woman's reaction definitely sounds way over the top. Her use of the C word and threatening to punch you is completely unacceptable in my books. I'm sorry you had to experience that. Try not to stew too much on it. Perhaps find a nicer beach to go to.

Agree with the above.

SM, I don't think you did any thing wrong either, think you're doing a wonderful job with Ernie and your willingness to learn and improve your training skills and ideas is wonderful, a real credit to you :thumbsup:

When we encounter people, dogs and people with dogs at the beach we frequent, we use these opportunities as scenarios to proof our dogs' recalls, stays and impulse control.

We will and do allow the dogs to approach certain dogs and/or people once we have had time to assess the situation/signals from said people/dogs, if and when our dogs have shown us that they have either come when called or remained by us when cued to.

If all participants seem friendly an willing we will then give a cue for our dogs to approach in a calm and friendly fashion. Under no circumstances are they permitted to do so until such time. So basically, social moments are always monitored, controlled and by our say so only.

How long did it take for you to get this level of control/bond with your dog? Any tips?

Edited by Stressmagnet

Agree with the above.

How long did it take for you to get this level of control/bond with your dog? Any tips?

We currently have 3 dogs. They are all different.

My oldest girl is 100% reliable and has been since she was around 4-5 years old. She will recall under high distraction running towards distraction from any distance from me.

6 year old male is also pretty good, but some dogs push his buttons so we don't like to test it too much, but his recall and impulse control has been excellent for around 3-4 years.

My youngest girl is 2. Her recall is excellent under almost all distractions but the further away she is from me the less reliable it gets, so we continue to proof at shortish distances, gradually working it up to further distances. She will call off people much better than dogs as she does value other dogs quite highly, particularly sexy boys :D

What I find I do with my dogs is when I am with them whether we are doing fun outings or more structured training, I am always training them. So even when they are released to have some free time, it is short lived as it gives me another opportunity to practise a recall or a distance down etc. Then I'll release again. I find this method of raising my dogs works for me because it speeds up the bond, respect and level of training. The dogs are always happy, enjoy the training and rewards which makes them more of a joy to take out.

I would say that excellent reliability in all situations can take years sometimes, depending upon the owner and the individual dog. However getting a dog to the point where it will remain close enough to you for you to be in control, to be able to monitor the situations as I described in my first post can take a few weeks and can be achieved with a pup.

I go out with treats or a fav toy to assist in the beginning. In fact I still take treats when I go out in social environments, even with adult dogs.

Allowing the dog to have short bursts of free time (not too far from you, only a couple of metres) and then recall for treats or play while there are no distractions are a great start. Then over time build up distance, length of free time and distraction.

Each to their own of course and I am aware that I own a breed that requires a lot of structure and firm, consistent leadership.

Edited by Starkehre

I think you did ok, StressMagnet. :)

It was a ridiculously over the top reaction from someone obviously just spoiling for a fight.

Practice your recall, & until it's terrific, don't let your dog too far out of your range when off lead.

My dog would love to stroll up to a strange group looking for food or pats, but I don't let her. If I see such a group up ahead, I make sure she comes back closer to me and stays within easy grabbing range til we have passed. Being an extremely biddable dog, she's not as well trained as she should be (yes, my bad) so I make sure she's close to me so I can keep control. Better safe than sorry.

I've witnessed similar scenes to the one you describe (they even happen in fancy east Sydney parks :laugh: ) & I never trust random groups of strangers to behave nicely.

I don't know about where you are, but the South-Western coast of WA is basically one giant collection of beaches. Some are good for surfing, some for fishing, some are great for little kids (no surf.) We even have Swanbourne where all the strange old men hang out. (Right next to the SAS headquarters, go figure.) And yes we have a dog beach. I am always very careful, because there are d___heads with dangerous dogs, but by and large its ok. There are plenty of other beaches for people who don't like dogs, and the dog beach is well signposted.

I wouldn't worry about the lowlifes you encountered, and certainly not about the way you reacted. But perhaps a bit of a lesson there, that such idiots do unfortunately exist and its as well to exercise a bit of caution. Most normal people will respond positively to a friendly dog, but there are just enough drunken idiots around to ruin it for everyone if we let them.

Wow Hazywal, Terrigal may be feral but your council has SO MANY off leash dog areas!

"Council has designated 40 off-leash exercise areas in parks, and nine off-leash exercise areas on our beaches. "

Our council has 6 and they are all but one crap. The biggest one is unusable during warmer months as it's in a bush area and is snakes galore.

Even if you tripled our population and parks to meet Gosford councils area population, we still have dramatically less. :(

when I visited a friend who lives near wyong, we went to a "beach" that was on "the lake" but the tide was in and the wind on shore... so where there was supposed to be a bridge over a small creek... - the path just disappeared under water - and my dog failed to notice until she was all wet and swimming - bit of a surprise to her - it kind of looked like it was still the path but it wasn't. Something to do with a lot of leaf litter on top of the water or something - the water was black.

So we didn't go to "the beach" that day. The next day we went to a really nice beach but most of it (all of it? was dogs on lead. There was a bloke out surfing and his dog spent the entire time running around where the rocks met the surf (not dangerous at all) fretting. I was worried that my dog would think the water was the same as home (no rips) and jump in when she got hot so I wasn't very relaxed. The way the surf was I didn't think I'd be able to get her out.

She's got good recall most of the time but there is a kind of threshold distance to a distraction where she stops listening. So it helps if I practice lots of recall games when we first get to the beach with good treats... but none for slightly crappy recalls. And then I know how far she can go (depending on the distraction) before recall will fail. I'm pretty lucky she not interested in seagulls unlike some dogs who will chase them to the next suburb or swim across the gulf trying to get the seagull.