What Is The Purpose Of A Breed Club?

Kirislin

hoping for slightly more informed answers. Some breeders are trying to form an Italian Greyhound club and they have to have a mission statement (I think) some kind of statement of purpose. As I'm not a member of any dog breed club I was wondering what they do.

This is what I found on the website of one of my breed's clubs (I don't belong to it, just pure forgetfulness to join clubs)

"The Dalmatian Club of Victoria is an organisation whose purpose is to foster knowledge and understanding of the Dalmatian Breed.

Its objectives are to encourage the responsible breeding of pure bred dalmatians, to raise the standard of our dogs, conduct exhibitions, publish information on our breed, and to promote good fellowship and sportsmanship amongst us."

I wouldn't copy it word for word, but that should give you an idea

The Samoyed Clubs of VIC and NSW do a lot to promote our breed to the general public. They attend pet expos, sled pulls and photos over christmas (many people would have seen the dogs in stores around Sydney over christmas), breed rescue, pet picnic days, herding clinics and sled days (this is new) and they hold speciality shows.

I know they receive a lot of emails from puppy people looking for a good breeder or owners asking general advice about how to care for the breeds. They also have a health committee, public HD register etc.

And this year Australia is hosting the World Samoyed Meeting, they're having guest speakers, a number of speciality shows, stalls etc.

This is what I found on the website of one of my breed's clubs (I don't belong to it, just pure forgetfulness to join clubs)

"The Dalmatian Club of Victoria is an organisation whose purpose is to foster knowledge and understanding of the Dalmatian Breed.

Its objectives are to encourage the responsible breeding of pure bred dalmatians, to raise the standard of our dogs, conduct exhibitions, publish information on our breed, and to promote good fellowship and sportsmanship amongst us."

I wouldn't copy it word for word, but that should give you an idea

I like the sound of that club. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I think I'd like the future IG club to also encourage reporting of health issues and keep a data base of them. That might not be popular.

I'd love something like the whippet archives that people all round the world can contribute to and access.

Have a rescue service.

Have sporting and fun activities.... racing comes to mind :D

and lastly and most importantly, be for the betterment of the breed, not the betterment of breeders.

Edited by Kirislin

IMO first and foremost the purpose of the breed club is to promote the breed. They should be accepted and acknowledged as the authority on the breed. Of course this will depend to some degree on the people involved but that aside to me it is what the breed club should be about and they should be able to ignore personalities.

The State Canine Associations will refer any breed related queries to the "breed club"

The breed club are the ones that organise and run sanctioned shows, trials etc. and events.

The breed club has a responsibility to work with breed clubs in other states to provide the best advice to requests for information regarding the breed, puppy enquiries, issues/health/grooming requirements with the breed etc.

The breed club has a responsibility to maintain and keep records of breed related issues so as future enthusiasts of the breed can be taught about important matters within the breed and about dogs of importance etc.

I would like to see a breed club responsible for maintaining a register of health tests and results but that is a can of worms for many.

Unless specifically a "show" club -which is unlikely- , the breed club will probably have members who are not interested in showing and so needs to organise and run other events. At all times the promotion of the breed should (IMO) be paramount.

As an Incorporated Association we operate under the Model Rules of the Associations Incorporation. We did not accept the MR as given but included our own clauses in order to better suit us. Remember that the Incorporation MR's are for huge Incorporations as well as little Clubs like us.

Just some of my mutterings. I plead guilty to being a die hard breed club enthusiast and have spent many years serving my breed club and producing record books etc.

and lastly and most importantly, be for the betterment of the breed, not the betterment of breeders.

The breeders are usually the ones that run breed clubs. IMO because they are the ones that stick around year in and year out and they are the ones that have the most information about the breed and in most cases are the most interested about the history of the breed over a long time.

I don't believe there are too many breed clubs that are for the betterment of breeders but without the betterment of breeders there is no betterment of the breed. Breeders are the custodians of the breed. In my experience non breeder members are only interested in a minute part of the club and more often or not only want to do what they want to do. Of course there are exceptions.

ASDCV Inc

Anatolian Shepherd Breed Club -

based in Victoria, members australia wide

ASDCV Inc has a significant pet focus, hence our shows and events are catered to this membership.

ASDs have never been highly represented in All Breed Dog Shows, so ASDCV make events and generate interest by creating breed/club specific activities.

Anatolian Shepherd Dog Club

Edited by lilli

The breeders are usually the ones that run breed clubs. IMO because they are the ones that stick around year in and year out and they are the ones that have the most information about the breed and in most cases are the most interested about the history of the breed over a long time.

I don't believe there are too many breed clubs that are for the betterment of breeders but without the betterment of breeders there is no betterment of the breed. Breeders are the custodians of the breed. In my experience non breeder members are only interested in a minute part of the club and more often or not only want to do what they want to do. Of course there are exceptions.

I agree. If the breed is doing well, then breeders will do well too.

To promote their breed would be the main aim among other things.

There has been no poodle club in Adelaide for about 17 years & I used to love going to their fun days. It was a good day out for the dogs & me, lots of fun for pet & show people & many members of the public used to come & have a wander & ask questions as they were always held on an oval.

All of the above but most importantly to promote the breed and encourage new people in who will also have the best interests of the breed.

The CCs are often beaten up because they dont promote the breeds but this is the job of the bred club and the CCs cant liaise with every person who wants to have a suggestion or input to them so it is done via the breed clubs. For example Without a breed club instigating it Labs would not have to be hip scored for registration etc.