Scientific Proof For Not Desexing Until Fully Mature.

shapeshifter

yeah theres are a heap of info out there...I find most of my stuff on the Rottweiler FB groups.

But on the same subject I want to trial my boy later this year but apparently I cannot unless he is de-sexed.

This is what I have been told anyway...can anyone confirm?

I think that's a lot of rot, I mean I'm all for de-sexing but after doing lots of re-search I decided I want to wait till by boy is around 18 months...unless it is causing issues, which ATM it isn't.

Edited by flame ryder

yeah theres are a heap of info out there...I find most of my stuff on the Rottweiler FB groups.

But on the same subject I want to trial my boy later this year but apparently I cannot unless he is de-sexed.

I think that's a lot of rot, I mean I'm all for de-sexing but after doing lots of re-search I decided I want to wait till by boy is around 18 months...unless it is causing issues, which ATM it isn't.

Is that something to do with what club you may be trying to join?

Gosh, I hope this does not apply in NSW>

:(

Assume you have papers and are trialling in Australia? Lots of entire dogs compete in ANKC sports such as obedience, agility, retrieving, tracking, herding and endurance. Including my own!!!

Assume you have papers and are trialling in Australia? Lots of entire dogs compete in ANKC sports such as obedience, agility, retrieving, tracking, herding and endurance. Including my own!!!

No papers

No papers

Ah! So the dog needs to be on the Associate register - ok.

Anyway - completely agree with holding off IF you can manage an entire dog - but there's no real need to start competing before the dog is 18 months-2 years anyway. Get everything perfect first :D

There's a few articles here

http://www.caninespo...seful-info.html

you can probably look up more details on scholar.google.com

but mostly it just has abstracts and you can buy the actual study or journal - which is frustrating.

I agree with this, there are heaps if you look up google scholar. If you use the word "Gonadectomy" instead of desexing you will get more results.

I have access to most journals so if you want more information on one that won't let you see past the Abstract PM and I'll see if I can help :)

Thanks for that Lisa, also having access through Uni helps in getting the complete documents for them as well.

:banghead:

So passed the ones on I had so far, and they still insist that they are right (desexing at 6 weeks is perfectly ok to do), they probably didn't even read any of the papers.

6 weeks is a bit extreme - is that for boy dog or girl dog?

Sometimes with boy dogs - can't find the nuts, with girl dogs you risk incontinence at older age - not to mention the bone growth problems.

Not that I can talk - my dog was desexed at 8 weeks by the AWL - and she looks a bit lanky and narrow for a cattle dog but so far - no other problems.

And yes to compete at ANKC - needs to be desexed. But for agility would probably want to wait till the dog was about 18 months anyway. And here is heaps of foundation work you can do before that. Ie the clubs will still let you join and train.

There are non-ANKC affiliated competitions eg flyball just got disassociated from ANKC and there are Agility comps (not in SA yet) that are not ANKC and don't have the same rules about desexed dogs.

SCIENCE DOES NOT PROVE THINGS!!!!!! Scientists try to falsify hypotheses. The scientific evidence is all over the map for health consequences of desexing. You can pick and choose your articles to 'prove' your point of view, but the scientific picture is ambiguous.

For a good synopsis see

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2013/04/benefits-and-risks-of-neutering-an-evidence-based-approach/

p.s. here is the sort of finding you can expect from scientific study of such a subject.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22647210

J Small Anim Pract. 2012 Jun;53(6):314-22. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-5827.2011.01220.x.

The effect of neutering on the risk of mammary tumours in dogs--a systematic review.

Beauvais W1, Cardwell JM, Brodbelt DC.

Author information

Abstract

A commonly-stated advantage of neutering bitches is a significant reduction in the risk of mammary tumours, however the evidence for this has not previously been assessed by systematic review. The objectives of this study were to estimate the magnitude and strength of evidence for any effect of neutering, or age of neutering, on the risk of mammary tumours in bitches. A systematic review was conducted based on Cochrane guidelines. Peer-reviewed analytic journal articles in English were eligible and were assessed for risk of bias by two reviewers independently. Of 11,149 search results, 13 reports in English-language peer-reviewed journals addressed the association between neutering/age at neutering and mammary tumours. Nine were judged to have a high risk of bias. The remaining four were classified as having a moderate risk of bias. One study found an association between neutering and a reduced risk of mammary tumours. Two studies found no evidence of an association. One reported "some protective effect" of neutering on the risk of mammary tumours, but no numbers were presented. Due to the limited evidence available and the risk of bias in the published results, the evidence that neutering reduces the risk of mammary neoplasia, and the evidence that age at neutering has an effect, are judged to be weak and are not a sound basis for firm recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

Science is just a theory. Science once thought Earth was the centre of the Solar System and all the sun and planets revolved around us :D

Congratulations, by using that word in that manner you've outed yourself of knowing nothing about science.

The science linking hormones to bone growth and density is neither new, nor controversial.

Of course, most of that science relates to humans. Strangely enough though the very same hormones are found in canines.

Edited by Haredown Whippets