Dog/cat Boarding Vs Housesitting - Adelaide

BDJ

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been done before - I have done a search and can find similar things to what I am looking for, but not exact :-)

I am planning a 3 week holiday in October, and was planning on boarding my animals whilst I was away (I rarely have a need to board animals, but have done it very occassionally and am happy with the place I use).

I knew it would be a chunk of money, but must say I was surprised when I rang for an idea of pricing - for a 25 day stay it works out to over $2200.00

(1 small dog, 3 cats (2 of which will be sharing an enclosure))

The prices I was quoted is $26.50 per day for the dog, single cat $18.50 per day, sharing cats $35.20 per day

I am not looking for a justification of the cost - it is what it is and I know they have a lot of overheads (some I can imagine, others I have not even thought of). I dont want to get into a computer fight (although I must say, it costs me less than $70 a month to feed them and keep the cats in litter, so there is $2100.00 in overheads and margin for 3 enclosures for less than a month :confused: )

But it has got me thinking about options.

I have never used a house sitter etc - would love feedback on whether they work, pros and cons etc.

Also happy for feedback if there is a boarding establishment in Adelaide which is good, and less expensive

(and yes - I know animals are a commitment, and there is zero chance of doing anything which is not in their best interest BUT it does sort of give an insight in to why some people dump animals when planning a holiday, or having a situation where they are unable to keep an animal at home for a period of time. Again - not condoning it, just saying it puts it in to perspective a bit)

Wages, utilities, insurance, foods, disinfectants etc, cat litter, replacement toys and beds, kennel maintenance and repairs, probably forgotten a few.......but the big one that folks seem to overlook is a healthy PROFIT. Businesses need to actually make profit for all the hard work to be worthwhile and stay in business! The prices you were quoted seem reasonable and around the current market.

As for house sitters, personally I would rather my pets locked up in a secure kennel, than taking the chance that the house sitter won't accidentally somehow let a pet escape from their home.

Thanks Gruflife - and yeah, I wasn't disputing the price as such, more very surprised.

Even if I do go the housesetter route, I will still be boarding two of the cats. They have 'quirks' and for their security (and my peace of mind), being locked in a good, safe cattery will be whats happening :-)

ta

Boarding was $25 per day when I went away in 2010 - some places included food but I liked to provide my own - the cost was usually the same but I couldn't bear my dog being on supercoat for a month.

My former neighbour used to get "Annie the pet Nanny" in for his beagles - but they were in the back yard and back verandah and the food was put outside as well - so Annie never had to go inside the house - which is how she prefers it. So she would not be going in to change the cat litter in there. Not sure how you'd sort that out.

Someone else I know was going to get a pet sitter but changed their mind at the last minute and got family to come and house sit. Worked out well for them. The pet sitter came across as a bit crazy before she'd even showed up.

So in summer - I booked my dog into the RSPCA - because the bush fire risk is low (this was Feb 2012) - I warned them about a tummy rash and it came back under their care - and they didn't notice because they never saw her chewing (she does it at night when nobody is looking) and they didn't look despite the fact that she loves to roll over for a belly rub. But other than that she was a good weight and happy to be with them.

But in 2010 and one other time - when I was away in Winter - she went to Top Spot near Macclesfield. She was very happy with them. One night there was a thunderstorm and a big thunderclap and she ripped her bedding to pieces but other than that - all good. They have heated kennels. Tho she's pretty well insulated (undercoat).

Simply Grand got given the name of a pet sitters' service by Tatelina...

found the URL

Try www.findadogminder.com.au

Also there's another DOLer who pet sits. Not sure if SA could be an option but maybe with enough time etc...

Here's her profile

http://www.dolforums.com.au/user/1787-pawsaroundoz/

Going to follow this topic. Useful info to have.

:)

You could check out the Aussie House Sitters website. You could also check out the MDBA Award nominees for the last couple of years and see if anyone from SA has been nominated - could be worth a follow up. As an aside, I've house sat for breeders and if you have the right person you should be able to safely leave your cats in their care too. The right house sitter is there for your animals - to meet their varied needs as the first priority, not to simply have a little holiday themselves. We've had discussions here on DOL before about things some house sitters refuse to do, which bugs me no end. It is actually not hard at all to continue a routine a dog or a cat is used to - where they sleep, how they are exercised, what they eat and when. I would hope that a good house sitter costs you far less than $2200 for all three animals.

thanks everyone for your ideas and input - I will have a look at the options

A house sitter would be ideal (I have birds as well - have a solution for them as they are in a huge aviary so whilst they need daily water change, they are more self sufficient and less 'hands on' than the furries :) ).

But I need to investigate further as I have never used a house sitter and I really dont know how I feel about an unknown person in the house and being responsible for the animals. I have excellent fencing and double gates etc, but it is no where near as secure as the boarding place I use.

I am thinking I may end up going with boarding them. It is a lot of money (in anyones language), but then again - you get what you pay for, I have total faith in the place and the staff, the few times I have used them the furries have come back happy and healthy and I have had a stress free break :D - my first reaction was :eek: but I dont go away often, and there is no way I will compromise the care that they receive

Be it a house sitter or boarding them, me thinks I need to get used to vegemite on toast for the next few months :rofl:

Might be worth shopping around more for prices.... Does seem expensive when you have multiple pets for an extended stay.

I run a kennel and if I had an enquiry such as yours this is how I would calculate provided this was not over the xmas school holidays

1 x dog @ $25/d

3 x cat @ $15 each per day

Equals $70 per day x 25 days = $1,750

Less discount for multiple pets of 10%

Plus would also give a further discount of 5% for over 3 weeks.

Hence cost of $1,750 - $304 = $ 1,446.00

This is a BIG difference to the charges you have been quoted of $2,200.

Most business are more flexible when there are clients needing longer times and have multiple pets... Animals are easier to look after once they settle in hence we give a discount and multiple pets mean that the animals can often be sharing the day pens, plus our cats have large rooms with different sleeping areas so we could easily accomodate three cats in a room. The same will apply with kennels in your state, so shop around and see what is on offer. Then go and check out the kennel.....

Kennels are a better option for pets unless you have a house sitter you feel really comfortable with and know they love animals.... At least the kennel is set up with the right facilities to keep them well contained and regularly fed and watered.

Good luck

Might be worth shopping around more for prices.... Does seem expensive when you have multiple pets for an extended stay.

Kennels are a better option for pets unless you have a house sitter you feel really comfortable with and know they love animals.... At least the kennel is set up with the right facilities to keep them well contained and regularly fed and watered.

Good luck

LIKE button applied.

:D