"greyhounds As Pets"

YOLO

Over the past few years I have seen these guys at the show. Not sure how long its been going on, probably a lot longer than I realise.

My understanding is that these are mostly dogs that didn't make the grade racing, or have retired.

Now, I'm not debating the suitability of Greyhounds as Pets. As I understand it they many redeeming qualities and can make very loyal pets. If you want a rescue dog, and a Greyhound fits your lifestyle, kudos.

However my question is what becomes of these dogs otherwise, and why is this program even necessary. What happened to these dogs before this program?

The horrible truth is Greyhounds deemed unsuitable for racing are routinely killed. Not just a few either, several THOUSAND every year.

I have no issue with Greyhound racing per se, PROVIDED the dogs are treated humanely. However I find the idea that non-performing dogs are simply killed to be horrific.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been very impressed with what I have seen of GAP greys and a couple of people I have met who are involved.

Tigger who is Ronin's best mate is a GAP grey, he was diagnosed with a minor heart murmur and has found the most wonderful home. I have also met a number of GAP greys at the park and they have all been the sweetest of dogs.

I don't know any associated politics so I can only comment on what I have seen, and what I have seen impressed me. My view on greys and the racing industry was not a good one, now that I have met some people involved and have had many many conversations with Tigger's owner, my view has changed for the better. If I had the space for another dog, I would, without a doubt be contacting Greyhounds as Pets.

I've had greyhounds since 2003. I adopted mine mostly straight from their trainer then had then assessed by GAP. I got to know some trainers, even became friends with some great people involved in both racing and adoption.

There are some great people involved in racing, those who do right by their racing dogs and find homes for adoptable greys when they are no longer racing. My dogs would get so excited whenever they met up with their old trainer, they loved him. There are also people involved in racing that are not so great. One of my boys came from someone who doesn't even deserve to be in charge of a pet rock.

It gets said in every anti racing/pro racing debate but there are good and bad people involved in everything. And it's true. Racing, dog shows, pony club with kids and Shetland ponies. Both good and bad people exist everywhere, including in the racing industry.

Edited by kdf

Not all greyhounds at shows are racebred. Most are actually show bred ones and are very much in the minority. I have show bred ones and I can assure you they are much loved pets and I don't know of a single one put down cause they weren't successful in the ring.

Not all greyhounds at shows are racebred. Most are actually show bred ones and are very much in the minority. I have show bred ones and I can assure you they are much loved pets and I don't know of a single one put down cause they weren't successful in the ring.

I don't know if that was in reply to me. I wasn't saying show dogs are put down if they weren't successful. I was simply saying that there are good and bad in every area of life. There have been many threads on here regarding less than perfect breeders. And I'm sure that there are less than perfect showies. There are of course amazing breeders of show dogs and showies with dogs treated like royalty. That was my point.

If you weren't referring to my post then feel free to ignore what I just wrote.

The OP said 'the show' - I read it to mean 'show' like the Royal Adelaide show or the Easter Show or whatever. Where there are rides and showbags and overpriced greasy delicious food.

Here, at least (Adelaide) GAP and other rescue groups have stalls at The Show, where they usually have various animals that have been previously adopted or are available for adoption.

GAPSA frequently have younger dogs available for adoption that aren't suitable for racing. I shudder to think how many don't make it to GAPSA though. Still, some people do the right thing and should be applauded.

I'd never even realised that Greyhound Racing was a 'thing' till I moved here. In Canada, you don't see it.

So I for one would love to be better educated about what happens to dogs that don't make the grade. It worries me that there is so many Greyhound rescues. Gosh, they're lovely dogs.

The majority of dogs who are unsuitable for racing are put to sleep. A few remain with their owners/trainers (retained as pets or for breeding) but they are the minority, generally speaking.

Where I am, there is one vet (who shall remain nameless as he is a piece of sh*t) who will PTS dogs for free if the trainers agree to allow him to take their blood first. When someone is offering euthanasia for free, uncaring trainers have no reason to even consider an adoption group.

The greyhound in my avatar picture was due to be dropped off at that same vet at 14 weeks of age. Fortunately for him (and me), his trainer relented and surrendered him to me.

High kill rates are not restricted to unsuitable racing Greys. Huskies are another breed that end up in over populated shelters due to owners not doing their homework and not being able to handle this beautiful breed, BYBs are the biggest culprits in flogging this breed and others to uneducated owners.

I believe that GAP are looking to get financial support from Racing and Wagering to allow for more Greys to be put through their program.

I would actually be interested in figures of kill rates by breed in Australia to see where greys rank, If my suspicions are right then greys are probably not at the top of the list???

High kill rates are not restricted to unsuitable racing Greys. Huskies are another breed that end up in over populated shelters due to owners not doing their homework and not being able to handle this beautiful breed, BYBs are the biggest culprits in flogging this breed and others to uneducated owners.

I believe that GAP are looking to get financial support from Racing and Wagering to allow for more Greys to be put through their program.

I would actually be interested in figures of kill rates by breed in Australia to see where greys rank, If my suspicions are right then greys are probably not at the top of the list???

The trouble with stats for greys is that they're estimated based on other figures (litters registered against dogs named), don't account for any rehoming and don't include dogs already named or dogs retired to breeding and so on. With those issues, getting actual numbers would be very difficult.

Given the bulk of dogs PTS in pounds are not purebred, I'd guess greyhounds would actually make up a sizable portion of euthanased purebred dogs. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other breed that is bred in such numbers where the majority are PTS for reasons other than humane (old age, illness, whatever).

kdf I was replying to the OP. They were the ones mentioning greyhounds at shows. If I was replying to you I would have quoted you.

I don't think they mean dog shows. Rather GAP and the like promoting rescue greys at "shows" (eg royal shows)

The majority of dogs who are unsuitable for racing are put to sleep. A few remain with their owners/trainers (retained as pets or for breeding) but they are the minority, generally speaking.

Where I am, there is one vet (who shall remain nameless as he is a piece of sh*t) who will PTS dogs for free if the trainers agree to allow him to take their blood first. When someone is offering euthanasia for free, uncaring trainers have no reason to even consider an adoption group.

The greyhound in my avatar picture was due to be dropped off at that same vet at 14 weeks of age. Fortunately for him (and me), his trainer relented and surrendered him to me.

Yes this is my experience too. From what I've seen, the greys can be less likely to even make it to pounds etc to have a chance at adoption/rescue - vets or owners just euthanise them. The sight of hundreds of dead Greyhounds piled up in an anatomy lab, awaiting dissection, is enough to give most people nightmares, yet at least these unwanted dogs are appreciated in death and students are able to learn from them. I've also seen many country vets collect blood then euthanise young healthy greys, or also encourage students to practice procedures on them prior to euthanasia .

Compared to other breeds, I would have thought only the staffy crosses would come close, maybe the bull arab/mastiff etc crosses in the country? Obviously they are rarely purebred though. Sadly I would also speculate that the Greyhound as a breed would be at the top of the list for euthanasia of animals with no behavioural/health problems.

Then why, in the name of God - is this sport not banned?!?

Because it's a billion dollar industry...simple.

I'm not anti-racing, the "you bet-they die" nutters do nothing for the cause of greyhound rescue, if anything they cost the lives of more greyhounds through their blatent stupidity. You can chain yourself to the boxes at Dapto all you like all that does is encourage trainers to euth rather than surrender dogs to fanatical nutbags that threaten trainers and their families. It's the over breeding of racing greys that has to stop IMO, trying to stop racing of any kind is like pissing into the wind...it'll never happen.

Edited by HazyWal

Sadly Hazy I think you're right here in Australia where discussion doesn't seem to be on the agenda - but I read the other day that dog racing of any sort is not only banned, its illegal in 39 states in the US - yes it seems they have essentially closed the greyhound racing industry down. I don't like or support nutters full stop and agree they do good causes a lot of damage - but whats the difference between the US and here where so many states have banned greyhound racing? Other industries to fill the void? confused.gif

Edited by westiemum