Most Of This Diet Stuff Is Bull Dust

Interestingly I gave her a small chicken neck last night with the worst dog food and she scarfed the dog food first. I've always worried if she is secretly thinking 'what is this crap you are feeding me' but she does seem to prefer it.

I honestly don't think the dog's preference is a very good indicator as quite like us humans, they'll go for good flavours first and have no knowledge of what is "best" for them. Mine would happily eat all the chocolate and lollies if given the chance, he'd probably even choose them over raw meat. Sugars and fats are rich in energy and an opportunistic carnivore will jump the chance to eat anything containing high levels of them. Plus smell is a huge factor too.

Interestingly I gave her a small chicken neck last night with the worst dog food and she scarfed the dog food first. I've always worried if she is secretly thinking 'what is this crap you are feeding me' but she does seem to prefer it.

I honestly don't think the dog's preference is a very good indicator as quite like us humans, they'll go for good flavours first and have no knowledge of what is "best" for them. Mine would happily eat all the chocolate and lollies if given the chance, he'd probably even choose them over raw meat. Sugars and fats are rich in energy and an opportunistic carnivore will jump the chance to eat anything containing high levels of them. Plus smell is a huge factor too.

+1

If I put a tray of McDonalds in front of my daughter and a piece of steamed fish... I know what would be eaten first :laugh:

+1

If I put a tray of McDonalds in front of my daughter and a piece of steamed fish... I know what would be eaten first :laugh:

Steamed fish is of the devil. :vomit

:rofl: yep, give it to me in greasy batter please? For Ronin he has his raw and whole :laugh:

What stupid comments.

Umm you have obviously never seen the Hills L/D. You are all so totally off the mark it is just not even funny. It is soy based and has zero meaty smell.

It is nothing like any other tinned dog food I have ever seen.

So nothing like Maccies. *eyeroll man*

Do you think I want to be forking out a fortune for this food? Like to see what you do when you have to deal with a dog in palliative care.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What stupid comments.

Umm you have obviously never seen the Hills L/D. You are all so totally off the mark it is just not even funny. It is soy based and has zero meaty smell.

It is nothing like any other tinned dog food I have ever seen.

So nothing like Maccies. *eyeroll man*

Do you think I want to be forking out a fortune for this food? Like to see what you do when you have to deal with a dog in palliative care.

erm, I wasn't talking about a prescription diet. I was making a light hearted remark about feeding kids so just relax and don't be so rude.

erm, I wasn't talking about a prescription diet. I was making a light hearted remark about feeding kids so just relax and don't be so rude.

Well I was and you quoted me so you are the rude one. Giving someone shit about feeding a very ill dog, disgraceful :(

Well I was and you quoted me so you are the rude one. Giving someone shit about feeding a very ill dog, disgraceful :(

I was quoting a general comment by Black_jackal which was a general comment about what a dog will go for. The other comments were using two extreme ends of the spectrum in talking about what is more appetising and using my daughter as an example.

You need to back off... I care greatly about all dogs and especially ill ones. I am sorry you dog is unwell and I have no desire to make you feel sh1t. If you go to DDDs posts you will notice that I have basically said it doesn't matter what you feed Danny as long as you can get him to eat something...

I will say this again - I am NOT giving you sh1t about your feeding of your ill dog so just give it a rest.

Not sure dog food marketing can be blamed for it. We are doing it ourselves! I don't see too many adverts for Artemis, BARF etc.

I was pretty snobby about dog food until I had to feed Amber what I considered to be the worst dog food ever. Interestingly I gave her a small chicken neck last night with the worst dog food and she scarfed the dog food first. I've always worried if she is secretly thinking 'what is this crap you are feeding me' but she does seem to prefer it.

For the sake of this argument I have highlighted what you said which has prompted this aspect of the "discussion". I would assume worst as being the cheapest supermarket kibble with spray on flavours etc. Not a prescription diet for an ill dog. You said worst and crap, not me, so you have to forgive me for being a bit confused as to why this has caused you to be so upset :confused:

Had I been aware of Ambers condition and what food you were talking about I would been very careful not to upset anyone, especially someone with an ill dog..

So if this is me being stupid and disgraceful then so be it :confused:

Edited by Yonjuro

^I made the same assumption, hence my comment. Didn't meant to upset anyone but also did I not know anything beyond what was written in JulesP's comment and I made a generalised statement.

I don't feel like it's necessary to repeat everything Yonjuro has said so I'll just leave this here.

On the subject of diets, I was reading a Facebook thread on a lost and found dog page earlier today. Someone had posted that a frightened female staffy was hiding under her house. She had tried to coax her out with some toast.

Some numpty, obviously on the 'grains are bad' team, said please don't feed it bread because bread was bad for dogs. :confused:

This poor dog is scared shitless, cowering under a house, and people are worried about giving it bread. I wonder what would have happened if they had said they offered it a tin of Pal.

Edited by ~Anne~

On the subject of diets, I was reading a Facebook thread on a lost and found dog page earlier today. Someone had posted that a frightened female staffy was hiding under her house. She had tried to coax her out with some toast.

Some numpty, obviously on the 'grains are bad' team, said please don't feed it bread because bread was bad for dogs. :confused:

This poor dog is scared shitless, cowering under a house, and people are worried about giving it bread. I wonder what would have happened if they had said they offered it a tin of Pal.

Wow. I don't feed grains but even I think that is very dumb. I would not hesitate to coax my dog out with some vegemite on toast if there was ever such a problem. I also don't think that most dogs need grain free either, I just choose Ronin's diet on what I think is the very best for him. :)