Salivary Gland Infection.

BC Crazy

Hi everyone,

As title suggests my 6 year old BC boy

Sonny has just been diagnosed with a Salivary gland infection. Poor boy :(

We are away caravaning at the moment & I noticed some swelling on the left side of his face, just along his lower jaw bone. This along with him being off his food, reluctant to drink & lethargic. Off to the Vets ASAP. Was given anti biotics after a biopsy was taken to make sure it wasn't anything more sinister. PHEW !!!

Funnily enough this same thing occurred about a month ago. Same symptoms. Took Sonny to Vet & was given anti biotics but I thought my guys may have had a head clash while playing with each other. Stella is pretty full on charging up to him. Now this problem has happened again there may be more to it first time around than I was thinking.

I have never heard of this problem before so would really appreciate any experiences/information.

TIA ☺

Edited by BC Crazy

My 2 ents worth ... ;)

Unless he has a minor blockage , feeding him anything to stimulate saliva production will cause him more pain :(

IF there is a small blockage in the duct ..eating something which ups saliva production may cause extra pressure to unblock the duct ...MAY ....

and infection needs A/Bs first ..very bland wet food , and some pain relief

Once the infection is under control, then maybe check for blockages due to stones/scar tissue..or a grass seed!

My 2 ents worth ... ;)

Unless he has a minor blockage , feeding him anything to stimulate saliva production will cause him more pain :(

IF there is a small blockage in the duct ..eating something which ups saliva production may cause extra pressure to unblock the duct ...MAY ....

and infection needs A/Bs first ..very bland wet food , and some pain relief

Once the infection is under control, then maybe check for blockages due to stones/scar tissue..or a grass seed!

Had this with a dog once, thought the poor boy had mumps when I first saw him one morning, was thought it might be a stick injury and antibiotics saw it gone quickly.............but if yours has recurred I would watch for whatever might be causing it........I recently had a splinter in a thumb which was all but invisible when eventually removed (splinter, not the thumb!!) not even infected but extremely painful

I'm unsure if Sonny has a blockage in his Salivary gland but he does have an infection. My thought was there must be something causing the infection. Foreign body eg. grass seed or alike. Otherwise why would there be infection at all??? I don't know. How can I find out A. Blockage B. Foreign body ??? Hope it is neither :(

He is a lot brighter this morning.Sparkle is back in his eye's.

He had his second anti biotic. I gave him a small amount of Roo mince & some roast chicken which he enjoyed.

The Vet did say that maybe he required a second course of anti biotics to clear the infection as it has reoccurred.

Edited by BC Crazy

Quick update day 3 of anti biotics & Sonny is going great. All swelling in his jaw has gone. His appetite has returned to normal & he is 99% back to his old happy,bubbly game playing self. Mums wrapped :) so far so good...all paws crossed that the infection doesn't return.

I had this problem with one of my Frenchies years ago, same thing happened to Bear was treated with abs and it would go away, but would keep on returning, so when it came again, and for the last time thankfully, my vet put a drain through his cheek, kept up with medication, once it was drained it never came back, Bear would have been about three years old and he went to the bridge nearly four years ago aged 13 years.

Mjosa that's very interesting. I was wondering what would be the next step would be if this nasty infection returns. It has returned once. Hopefully this time we have nailed it.

Thanks tassie ☺ nothing worse than an unwell dog.