Teaching Drop/drown

Nushie

Hi all,

Brandy is only 12 weeks old this weekend so obviously I am not super concerned about this right now but just through I would get some ideas of how to get her into a drop / down position. With Jager I would get him into a sit and then move the treat from his nose to between his paws and he would drop down into a lay position. Brandy doesn't. As soon as the treat gets to her paws, her bum pops up. I have tried moving the treat in front of her feet, between her feet etc. And it seems that no matter what I do, where I move the treat to, her bum comes up. Any suggestions?

Last night I managed to get her into a semi drop position (about midway between sit and drop) and was treating her for that. But then decided to stop in case that ended up confusing her. Should I continue with that and just ask for a little lower until she gets the drop? Or is there a better way?

I have tried putting a little bit of pressure on her bum while luring her into a drop to try and keep the sit but that just seems to confuse her more.

Easy :) Place the treat right in front of her nose - as in right in front. Any closer and it's up her nose :D Move your hand very slowly downwards. Don't pull your hand away or she will follow. Almost encourage her to tuck her head in and under. Reward for head close to the floor and bottom remaining on the ground. Each time reward for the head being closer to the ground. If the bottom goes up treat flies away! She should get the idea very quickly - with puppies it tends to be the placement of your lure hand that makes or breaks it :)

I had a similar issue with Charlie (although he was a 2yo rescue at the time). I ended up teaching it by luring him under my legs so he couldn't get back up.

I was just about to post the same method. It seems to be a winner for the stubborn pups

I have always taught the drop from the sitting position until one of my current dogs made me rethink. I could not get him to go down and then I realised that when he went down naturally he went down front legs first. I found it easier to teach the drop from a stand not a sit.

eta It would also help if you lured him under something such as a chair or table then he's more likely to go down completely.

Edited by sarsaparilla

Yep - was just about to suggest what sarsaparilla said. (DC's luring under your legs while you're sitting one the floor is good too.

I've found that some of the terrier or more stiff legged breeds find the fold back easier - the one that starts from the stand. The hand with the lure goes back between the front legs a little, and then you just wait for the elbows to fold - you can reward this as an approximate step a couple of times, and then wait the dog out till the bottom drops.

I like to teach pups both forms of the drop, as each one is useful for different things. It helps if you have nibbleable treats, so that you can hold the treat, pup can lick and nibble, but can't get the treat till you release it. Seems to help keep them in the game longer. If pup stands up, take the food away and then ask pup to try again.

The angle the lure needs to go in at for both forms of the drop seems to be trial and error, but patience on the trainer's part is the key. I also find it easier to train if I'm kneeling in front of the pup.

Oh - and kikopup has a Youtube video of teaching the foldback.

Can I ask about this too. My pup he is 5 months old will go into a drop quite easily but doesn't stay down. As soon as the treat is finished he is up. I have kept the treat in front of his nose for longer but he still pops up straight away. How can I keep him in the down position. He will stay in a sit position when I say stay but the drop is a drop and straight back up.

Can I ask about this too. My pup he is 5 months old will go into a drop quite easily but doesn't stay down. As soon as the treat is finished he is up. I have kept the treat in front of his nose for longer but he still pops up straight away. How can I keep him in the down position. He will stay in a sit position when I say stay but the drop is a drop and straight back up.

Are you using a clicker or marker word to mark his drop, immediately he goes down?? If so, you would IMO be best to shape his drop. By shaping I mean let him figure it out for himself a little bit at a time, clicking & treating firstly for the drop, then stand him back up & wait for him to offer the drop, click/treat & party party..let him know what a good boy he is while feeding multiple treats (this is what I call a party). Then sit/stand him back up & wait till he drops (you are saying absolutely nothing...just waiting to click the right moment). Start waiting for a little more duration before you click & treat etc. etc. & vary the duration...it may be one second, then three, then back to one etc. So he never knows when the click is going to come. Maybe you have put a cue word on the drop too soon & have actually cued drop to mean go down & then back up. Only put a cue word on it after he fully understands what he is being asked to do. Does that make sense :confused:

Thanks Sheena I think I have put a cue word on too soon. I will try what you have suggested, it makes more sense. Yes I am using a clicker not sure how well but I have been using it when I train him.,

Edited by Birgitbee