Pup Will Not Go To Bed

Airedaler

I have a five and a half month old puppy who has been here since 8 weeks. For the last 5 or 6 nights she has refused to go into her sleeping area. Until then she would go straight outside, have a wee etc. and bounce off into her bed for which she always got lots of praise and a reward. Nothing has changed in the last few days but now she just refuses to go into the area which is a run and kennel (an insulated shed which is about 3 metres square) No amount of bribing, playing or encouraging will encourage her to go in willingly, however, she often goes in there and plays during the day of her own accord. She has company at night. To date I've not put her on a lead and taken her in but will do so tonight, which will if nothing else avoid conflict. I think it must be something about the shed itself because when I get her into the run she will still avoid going into the shed. This is where she has slept since coming home at 8 weeks.

I'm not sure if she is just at an age where she is going to test the boundaries or there is some other reason, if the latter it is not obvious.

Any thoughts on how to address this behaviour?

Thanks Dust Bunny.

It is a possibility albeit a slim one but that would surprise me a bit if that was the reason as this is one very confident puppy, nothing seems to phase her and if she is startled by something her confidence soon takes over and she is back to normal.

We had di*$head neighbours letting off big fireworks literally over the kennel area from only a few metres away over New Year and Australia Day and she was not at all bothered by those.

Having said all of that I do tend to agree with you that it must be something in the shed but identifying what is almost impossible.

I'm also aware that she may be in the second fear period so obviously would prefer not to have her developing negativity at this stage (or any other for that matter)

Edited by Airedaler

if she has free access - then I wouldn't 'do' anything. Just put her in her run, when she's hungry - put bone/toys/food in the shed ..and walk out - no talking , or extra attention. See what happens after a few days/nights....let her work it out in her own time.perhaps that's what she needs . The only thing I would do is put in a nightlight ....

Maybe there has been a carpet snake in there one night. I had a large one in my chook coop, which moved on to better pastures & thankfully, never took a chook. The chooks will happily go into their coop during the day to feed & lay their eggs, but at night I find them roosting everywhere but in the coup & these are chooks that have been going into their coop every night for three years. Maybe something similiar has spooked your pup, & he associates it with night time & bed.

if she has free access - then I wouldn't 'do' anything. Just put her in her run, when she's hungry - put bone/toys/food in the shed ..and walk out - no talking , or extra attention. See what happens after a few days/nights....let her work it out in her own time.perhaps that's what she needs . The only thing I would do is put in a nightlight ....

Good idea about the light. I'll do that tonight. I've fed her in the run today which has gone OK but it is getting her into the run that is the biggest problem. In this weather I can leave the shed door open for her to come and go but the problem with doing that is that if the d#$head neighbour decides to let off fireworks he is prone to do without notice and for no other reason than he is a d#$head - or there is a thunder storm my other dog would panic and may try to break out of the run.

Is there any reason why she can't sleep inside at night in a crate :confused: Especially with the d'head neighbour....more than likely that is what has her spooked & she associates the bang with night time & being in bed.

[/quote

Her behaviour has nothing to do with the fireworks being let off, while the neighbour is a loose cannon there have not been any for a while and she has never reacted to them in any case. It is my other dog that reacts to them.

Letting her sleep inside is not going to address the problem IMO it is only going to let her determine what happens and when. But we may consider this.

Edited by Airedaler

I f she has another dog in teh run with her ( I missed that ) then several things come into my mind .

The other dog has beat her up in the shed .

The other dog has been very scared - and pup has reacted .

The other dog has asserted territory rights.

I do not believe YOU deciding to have a pup sleeping in a certain place in any way tells the pup that it has been responsible for that happening ....

Letting her sleep inside is not going to address the problem IMO it is only going to let her determine what happens and when.

Not sure why, when she will probably be on lead - then locked in a crate . She has absolutely no say .

Edited by persephone

I f she has another dog in teh run with her ( I missed that ) then several things come into my mind .

I do not believe YOU deciding to have a pup sleeping in a certain place in any way tells the pup that it has been responsible for that happening ....

Letting her sleep inside is not going to address the problem IMO it is only going to let her determine what happens and when.

Not sure why, when she will probably be on lead - then locked in a crate . She has absolutely no say .

Sorry but I don' know how to do the multi quote thing to break up this post to answer in parts.

Firstly Persephone, I don't believe any of your 3 top suggestions ate correct. I base this on knowing the behaviour and personalities of the dogs involved (albeit lesser obviously in the case of the puppy as we are still learning about each other) The other dog is 12.5 years old and has not a mean bone in his body. He is far more likely to be beaten up by the pup. There has not been anything happen that would frighten him over the period the pups behaviour has started and he has no territorial issues.

I'm not sure what you mean by this "I do not believe YOU deciding to have a pup sleeping in a certain place in any way tells the pup that it has been responsible for that happening ...."

I feel that it sounds as though I am poo-hooing suggestions from people, sorry if it seems that way it is not my intention but as in any situation it is difficult to convey exactly what is happening in an internet forum and people will make their own interpretation of my description based on their ideas and experience. No idea has been rejected by me without due consideration. Except perhaps the carpet snake suggestion by sheena LOL- not likely in Melbourne.

Sorry but I don' know how to do the multi quote thing to break up this post to answer in parts.

Firstly Persephone, I don't believe any of your 3 top suggestions ate correct. I base this on knowing the behaviour and personalities of the dogs involved (albeit lesser obviously in the case of the puppy as we are still learning about each other) The other dog is 12.5 years old and has not a mean bone in his body. He is far more likely to be beaten up by the pup. There has not been anything happen that would frighten him over the period the pups behaviour has started and he has no territorial issues.

I'm not sure what you mean by this "I do not believe YOU deciding to have a pup sleeping in a certain place in any way tells the pup that it has been responsible for that happening ...."

I feel that it sounds as though I am poo-hooing suggestions from people, sorry if it seems that way it is not my intention but as in any situation it is difficult to convey exactly what is happening in an internet forum and people will make their own interpretation of my description based on their ideas and experience. No idea has been rejected by me without due consideration. Except perhaps the carpet snake suggestion by sheena LOL- not likely in Melbourne.

fair enough - I was just going on what I read , obviously .

that was in answer to your comment

SHE is not 'determining' anything if YOU take her and put her in a crate ....

As a general rule , Dogs determine what happens next , anyhow ;) they do good things, they get praise/comfort/treats- they do play eliciting behaviour , and someone will play .... etc

Long shot, but I have seen it happen before. If she's going through her second fear period and in a shed (they echo) and older dog has a dream and barks in the middle of the night or just makes some strange noises.

Does she have a soft toy, that your willing to loose (cause puppy will probably destuff it) sometimes they're like a kid and will curl up with it.

Thanks DobieMum,

The shed is fully insulated so I don't think there is a noise/echo factor. Also from what we have seen this pup is not phased by noise at all.

She usually has toys in with her overnight, chewing them up is not an issue, she does not tend to do that but even if she did it is no big deal.

I'm thinking of setting up a camera to watch exactly goes on overnight. That will not necessarily give me an answer to this question but on the other hand it could be enlightening.

Just a quick update on my problem.

Fingers crossed whatever had upset my pup seems to be no longer an issue with her. I started taking her out on a lead and then into her bed, this was met with resistance from her and she still was not happy so I decided I would up the ante by giving her a chicken neck when she went into bed. Well as soon as she saw what I had she was enthusiastic and happily went into bed albeit still on the lead. Tonight was the second night that I've put her out without the lead and she is back to doing her business and then bouncing into her bed waiting for the special treat. She is also a lot happier in her self and I feel that she was just a bit off rather than something particular frightening her. She has lost a few teeth this week and some permanent ones have come down so I think it may be possible that she was experiencing a degree of discomfort.

I guess when all else fails use bribery.

Edited by Airedaler