Pup Will Not Go To Bed

Airedaler

Just a quick update on my problem.

Fingers crossed whatever had upset my pup seems to be no longer an issue with her. I started taking her out on a lead and then into her bed, this was met with resistance from her and she still was not happy so I decided I would up the ante by giving her a chicken neck when she went into bed. Well as soon as she saw what I had she was enthusiastic and happily went into bed albeit still on the lead. Tonight was the second night that I've put her out without the lead and she is back to doing her business and then bouncing into her bed waiting for the special treat. She is also a lot happier in her self and I feel that she was just a bit off rather than something particular frightening her. She has lost a few teeth this week and some permanent ones have come down so I think it may be possible that she was experiencing a degree of discomfort.

I guess when all else fails use bribery.

My guys get a very special treat in bed at night. At the moment they are getting a dried green lipped mussel. They have a routine of dinner, followed by fun games (training) with Mum or Dad in the lounge, then its out the door for a pee & then they race to their beds to get their special treat. I use dried treats though as I wouldn't fancy a wet chicken neck in their beds...could get a little smelly :)

It's possible something in the shed has scared her, I know that a possum jumps onto our shed roof in the night and makes a racket, and the pods off the trees drop onto it as well. Is there any overhead trees or rogue possums at your place? laugh.gif

my first thought too, rats or possums.

Ernie gets a Smackos when he goes to bed. I know it's complete junk but one a day won't kill him and he eagerly goes to bed.

Funny thing. I usually go to bed at 9:30 (I'm old ya see). At 9:20 he starts staring at me with a laser like gaze. I have to put my knees up to block his line of sight if I intend to be a wild child and stay up to, say, 10:30. We call him 'old man'. When I FINALLY go to bed - he races to my room and into his crate with a long suffering sigh.

He's only 10mos. What on earth will he be like when he's fully matured?

Edited by Stressmagnet

Fingers crossed whatever had upset my pup seems to be no longer an issue with her. I started taking her out on a lead and then into her bed, this was met with resistance from her and she still was not happy so I decided I would up the ante by giving her a chicken neck when she went into bed. Well as soon as she saw what I had she was enthusiastic and happily went into bed albeit still on the lead. Tonight was the second night that I've put her out without the lead and she is back to doing her business and then bouncing into her bed waiting for the special treat. She is also a lot happier in her self and I feel that she was just a bit off rather than something particular frightening her. She has lost a few teeth this week and some permanent ones have come down so I think it may be possible that she was experiencing a degree of discomfort.

My guys get a very special treat in bed at night. At the moment they are getting a dried green lipped mussel. They have a routine of dinner, followed by fun games (training) with Mum or Dad in the lounge, then its out the door for a pee & then they race to their beds to get their special treat. I use dried treats though as I wouldn't fancy a wet chicken neck in their beds...could get a little smelly :)

No worries about having wet chicken necks in the bed to get smelly. They are crunched up and swallowed immediately.

Both dogs used to get a smakoos to go to bed (like SM I figure one a day will not hurt them) and they liked those but the chicken neck is a much more valued treat. Maybe variety is the key and I will need to supply something else in due course.

No worries about having wet chicken necks in the bed to get smelly. They are crunched up and swallowed immediately.

Both dogs used to get a smakoos to go to bed (like SM I figure one a day will not hurt them) and they liked those but the chicken neck is a much more valued treat. Maybe variety is the key and I will need to supply something else in due course.

Problem with my guys...when I give them a nice meaty bone to chew, which is usually a turkey neck, they finish it, then sniff the ground & then pee on the spot where they ate it :eek: They both do this...not exactly sure why, but I have my ideas :mad They don't do it with quickly eaten dried treats. I keep my bed-time treats healthy & special, that's why I go for something like mussels, fish, kangaroo or turkey bits.