Correct Belgian Name To Use?

VoodooKitten

Have read as much I can find and not sure what to call my boy when people ask?

Mum is a Groenendael - Dad is a Terv.

From looking at many many photos online he looks like a Mal with slightly longer hair (if you put Long Haired Mal into Google, he looks like that?)He has a slightly softer personality than a Mal though. Not much. But some.

It doesn't matter to us personally and we referred to him as a Belgian Shepherd to start with - and then people point to our pure Groenendael (no shes not the mum!) and ask what she is and then we become unstuck....or start to explain and then watch their eyes glaze over.

The more I read the more I seem to understand (not sure if I'm right ) he would have a name based on what he looks like and temperament considering his parents - does that make him a Mal with long hair? Or a Terv with short hair? Or something else entirely?

From a very confused dog owner lol

Edited by VoodooKitten

Sounds like a Terv to me :) My understanding from speaking with Belgian people is they are all structurally the same dog and the name refers to the coat type. As a 5 month old his coat will still be growing,

Huski, hes not registered :(

If Groen X Terv is a permitted cross, which I did read, what are the pups called? Does it just depend on their looks? I keep reading that over and over but not sure whats reputable and whats not?

Edited by VoodooKitten

Piper - I would have said Terv too - but he has a WAY shorter coat. And he seems a lot 'harder' than what I read about Tervs. But again it seems to be more about coat than temperament when it comes to labelling? Why is that? I would have picked temp rather than looks be a factor but I suppose temp has way more variables?

Edited by VoodooKitten

A 5 month old puppy would not have anywhere close to an adult coat. My understanding is they should all be the same in every way except coat, and the determining factor in the name used is their coat type.

My very limited understanding of the genetics of them is that you can't get a Mal from a Groen x Terv. Groen can't be crossed with Mal as then you could get smooth coated blacks which are not registrable. Laekenois can only be crossed with 1 other and I can't remember if it is Mal or Terv.

With any luck Ivy~Badger, Huski or another Belgian person will give a better explanation :)

Midniara is the DOLer to ask. Although she is flat out lately and hasn't a lot of online time.

I'm not sure if you could get a Mal coat from a Groen x Terv - if that is correct and all pups will then be long coated, then naming the variety is surely easy.

Any all black offspring would be classed as Groen, sables with a black mask will be classified as Tervs. I'm not aware of any other allowable colours (but I'm no authoriity).

Don't let puppy coat length confuse you - the full coat with come with maturity.

EF typos

Edited by RuralPug

Yes, I just realized he still has half his puppy coat, which is short and his new hair is a bit longer along his back - NO idea why I didn't think of that earlier? Yes he is sable with the black mask. So based on that....a Terv.

Thankyou everyone :-)

Yes, I just realized he still has half his puppy coat, which is short and his new hair is a bit longer along his back - NO idea why I didn't think of that earlier? Yes he is sable with the black mask. So based on that....a Terv.

Thankyou everyone :-)

I should think part of the excitment of a new puppy: we so wonder what and how they will grow up to be especially with a breed like yours....

any chance of photos yet ( please, pretty please)?

:flower: