Sore In Mouth

Hello,

My 11 month old doggie who has a sore in her mouth.

It's been there for about 4 months.

We took her to the vet a few weeks ago who didn't know what it was and gave her a course of 7 days of antibiotics.

She's finished the course now and the sore still looks exactly the same.

I was hoping that someone could please give me a second opinion?

Here's a picture of the sore in her mouth:

http://postimg.org/image/7uff4f703/

Thanks for your help!

Have you been back to the vet who saw it in the first place??

This! Just because the anti biotics didn't work it doesn't mean they need a new vet. Most vets will try the lesser approach before jumping into tests and biopsy's.

So did I Scottsmum - but lesions of such longevity need investigation regardless of when the vet first saw it. Its the length of time its been there without healing that is of concern. And the fact the ABs haven't worked makes it all the more urgent IMO. With a history like that the vet should have biopsied before now - a human with a lesion of that longevity that is not healing would be investigated pronto - so should the dog - by another vet. (And yes I used to work with patients with oral lesions)

On face value only it looks like it could be something called an eosinophilic granuloma. Any lesions like this, particularly an oral lesion requires a biopsy for definitive diagnosis. They can sometimes improve with antibiotic treatment but it will rarely result in resolution. Treatment will often involve steroids but for this reason a more concrete diagnosis is warranted.