Why Would A Dog Jump The Fence?

Steph M

Kinda long story but... we had a dog who learnt how to jump from another dog.

He'd jump the fence & come back round the front - dork. Only way to stop hom (Rotty/weim cross) was an extra foot of fence / barracades along the fence in question.

As to why - who knows! Can you rig a web cam up? Make sure shes not being spooked.

Oh yes.

Once they know they can get out, they will.

Signed

Someone who had to walk the streets looking for her kelpie at 9 months pregnant.

That is literally the visions I was having, only 20wks yet, must nip in the bud. Ping string is a good idea!

Because she can!

You will now have to absolutely ensure she can't do it again.

Often people do something that makes it a little bit harder, thinking it will be satisfactory. Then they find the dog has managed to jump this too. So again they make it a little bit harder, and still the dog manages to get out. So they make it a little bit harder again...

And ultimately what they end up doing is training the dog to be an absolute ninja that can escape from an underwater cage with it's paws tied behind its back.

So when you go to fix the problem, REALLY fix the problem! :)

You might want to top your fences with rolly bits - unless she cleared it without touching the top - that would be harder - you'd need the cat hat man's floppy fence with overhang (on the dog side) to stop that.

i08Rolling_pins_side2.jpg

Dingos will go "foraging" any time their humans/pack are not home - because they feel the urge and it's "fun".

My brother's dog would jump any fence if there was any thunder. My brother tried tying her up when thunderstorms were predicted to find her hanging by her neck - over the fence - still alive but that scared the crap out of him. He also tried building up the fence but that didn't work either. She could clear 2m easy when she was frightened.

the rolly tops work best.. there is nothing stable that the paws can latch onto to get that little bit of assistance over the fence

H

Dogs hate it when you go away and leave them behind. Install a doggy door so she can access the house when you are away and you will find you will have no more trouble. They find comfort waiting for you inside the den. This has worked for us in similar circumstances.

Dogs hate it when you go away and leave them behind. Install a doggy door so she can access the house when you are away and you will find you will have no more trouble. They find comfort waiting for you inside the den. This has worked for us in similar circumstances.

Alas, she is a total beast in the house. She steals and chews and wrecks and eats EVERYTHING.

She is inside today, and will be til we work out a game plan. Brooke went out the front today and pretended to walk off with the other dog so he could see how she did it and if she did it again, turns out she is getting up between the fence and the gate like a ladder to get out, and just jumping back over to get back in when she's ready. Little cow.

I've invested in an express posted electric fence line thing, so that should be here by Monday, will spend some time at Bunnings to sort out some rolly bits over the gate itself, cause that would be easy climbed if she felt the urge and I am going to work on making the laundry dog-safe and accessible, though last time we did that she opened the cupboard and dragged bottles of chemicals outside and pulled washing powder all over the floor. She is an ass when left alone inside, which is sad cause Gus misses out, he just loves his couch!

I have conclusively decided she is a cow, and that is the reason. Haha.

Should have seen her dancing around with glee this morning when I opened the door and there she was. Not amused. Didn't want to grumble though, as god forbid she decide not coming back when called is a better option and we have to play preggo-lady-chasey down the street...

Glad you have the ping line on the way in the mail! Most unfortunately, once they get the escaping bug it is really hard to convince them that staying home is more fun so incarceration becomes necessary. Lets hope you can cure her quick before a roofed dog run becomes needed.

Dog proof the laundry - check the child-proofing sections in Bunnings or online for ways to working-dog proof the laundry cupboards. Also invest in some dog deterent spray to put on her side of the inner laundry door every so often so that she never gets the bright idea of eating her way through to the rest of the house. Sigh. Or a really high baby gate (or inner screen door LOL).