I Want A New Dog

BarbedWire

I was wanting some advice about getting a new dog. First of all a little about myself. I will be turning 72 this year but I am in good health and still active. I expect at least another 10 years. I currently have 2 dogs, a 13 yo and an 8 yo. In the past I have done a lot of dog training - I have trained 4 different dogs to their CD titles and I have also done dressage with horses - and I want a dog suitable for training although I don't really plan to trial again. I am also not comfortable doing dog sports such as agility. I just like training and teaching new things. I don't want a working breed because I could not meet the exercise requirements. I want something smaller up to 12 kgs, but not tiny, something I can lift if I have to but it can still run and jump. I am not fussy about coat or sex, but not a pup, something around 2 years old. Probably also a dog that is not prey driven or dog aggressive.

Can anyone suggest where I might find a suitable dog?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavalier!

Cavalier rescue qld often has some :)

Mine are all very trainable, and love to work for you and food. They will very happy run and jump, mine all run 20km some days, while are perfectly content to sleep on the couch and watch movies the others. Thats what i love most about them. They can be whatever you want them to be.

Small, mine are all around 8-9kg. But not too small imo. None of mine are dog aggressive, they will chase birds but recall off them easily so i don't think their prey drive is ridiculously engrained into them.

If hair isn't your thing they are easily clipped :)

ETA: Many have been cropping up on gumtree lately too.

https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel.asp

Kahleyvale cavs have a 13mo available at the moment- they are quite good

Edited by denali

Border Terrier - cheeky cheeky cheeky but very clever, can definitely run and jump LOL

They're not easy to come by so an adult, especially one which has been raised right to reduce prey drive (they're terriers, they have it, it can be controlled), could be asking a bit much.

Easy to care for, robust and cheap to run :laugh:

Papillon? While they are tiny, they can run and jump! They are popular for agility, quite trainable, people say they are sort of like mini Border Collies but without the exercise requirements :)

Okay to clarify a little. I think Cavs although really cute are probably a little small. Border terriers are interesting though. I don't have a cat but my neighbour does. I don't know much about Havanese. I am located in NSW near the ACT.

eta I have just seen your post Kavik. I think Papillons are gorgeous too but they are too small. I am not a small dog person.

Edited by sarsaparilla

If a Cav is too small than a Havanese will be as well. Shame, they're brilliant, robust little dogs and fit all your other criteria and there are two lovely breeders in Queanbeyan.

Edited by Bjelkier

Cocker spaniel?

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/cocker-spaniel.asp

My boy usually sits around 13kgs, a female from a show home will definitely be smaller. BYB cockers tend to be on the bigger side.

Or if that's still too big maybe an American cocker (http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/american-cocker-spaniel.asp)

They are pretty smart, have a low prey drive and are usually very sociable

Miniature Schnauzer?

Cocker Spaniel?

Corgi?

I would think Cavaliers would not be smaller than Border Terriers?

The scnauzer could work. though some i would say still stand the same size, even smaller for females as my cavs.

All the border terriers i know are smaller than my cavs.

The shelties at agility are bigger, though tend to like the sound of their own voice biggrin.gif

Would a beagle be too much of a working dog?

from what i know of them a valhund would be good. But i doubt there would be any adult dogs available.

miniature poodle? they are light- but tall :)

Edited by denali

Thanks, I was thinking of Border terriers as being more athletic but you are right they are quite small. It is not easy to heel with a small dog. It is difficult to know where you dog is without looking down and I would hate to trip over one. I guess I am sort of thinking of a small but less energetic working dog. Does such a dog exist?

Thanks, I was thinking of Border terriers as being more athletic but you are right they are quite small. It is not easy to heel with a small dog. It is difficult to know where you dog is without looking down and I would hate to trip over one. I guess I am sort of thinking of a small but less energetic working dog. Does such a dog exist?

we're pretty slack at walking our 2, they maybe get trip to the park once a week. Luckily they are not destructive at all and prefer snuggling up with each other most of the day but when it's working/training time they are all for it. But at 7 and 9 they are a bit older than what you are looking for.

12kg is quite a small dog, if you don't want a 'small' dog you may need to increase your weight limit. I think Shelties would work, if you got the right one and don't mind the hair. They are trainable, do well in sports.

Aussie Terriers! :)

Bigger than a silky, easy coat, clever, hardy and so loyal. Awesome little dogs.

I forgot to add .... a breed I'm in love with, and have rehomed a few :heart: Japanese Spitz. They are amazing.

Shetland Sheepdogs are certainly interesting but I have been told they are barkers. My current 8yo dog is 10kgs and I trialled with her but I wouldn't like to go smaller though. She is what I call an RSPCA special ie many many breeds in her mix so therefore irreplaceable.

Shetland Sheepdogs are certainly interesting but I have been told they are barkers. My current 8yo dog is 10kgs and I trialled with her but I wouldn't like to go smaller though. She is what I call an RSPCA special ie many many breeds in her mix so therefore irreplaceable.

So you want a dog that is between 10 and 12kg? That is a small size range.