Pumpkin Skin

I was talking to a guy at training tonight who's dog has had a bad allergy for about 18 months now (border collie). Her feet get very red & itchy. The vets have tried all sorts of things & I gave him some calendula tea to try, but it still persisted. Tonight he was telling me that he has been giving her cooked pumpkin skin & her feet have cleared up. At first he thought it was coincidental, so he stopped feeding her the pumpkin skin & the rash came back then went again when he started feeding it to her again. He said that there is something in the pumpkin skin that boost the dogs immune system. Any one else had experience with this ?? Googling has not shown up anything.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of it, but I am very keen to hear more and hope some can add to the thread :)

It doesn't sound like the kind of thing someone would discover by chance so I would imagine the idea must have come to this person from somewhere? Are you able to quiz the person further? Type of pumpkin skin would also be good to know.

I always used to give my anstaff cooked pumpkin - skin and all to ease her itchy feet. I'm not known for being a front runner in dog treatment or care or feeding - so obviously I read about it somewhere. The thing is, it definitely worked. And I also regularly give Ernie some (2x a week?) - just because I'm a creature of habit. So far, he seems to have escaped the dreaded Labrador skin things, and I'm sure it's not down to scarfing dropped kids lunches and leftover pizza when I'm not looking.

Interesting... Antifungal Mechanism of a Novel Antifungal Protein from Pumpkin Rinds against Various Fungal Pathogens

A novel antifungal protein (Pr-2) was identified from pumpkin rinds using water-soluble extraction, ultrafiltration, cation exchange chromatography, and reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry indicated that the protein had a molecular mass of 14865.57 Da. Automated Edman degradation showed that the N-terminal sequence of Pr-2 was QGIGVGDNDGKRGKR−. The Pr-2 protein strongly inhibited in vitro growth of Botrytis cinerea, Colletotrichum coccodes, Fusarium solani, Fusarium oxysporum, and Trichoderma harzianum at 10−20 μM. The results of confocal laser scanning microscopy and SYTOX Green uptake demonstrated that its effective region was the membrane of the fungal cell surface. In addition, this protein was found to be noncytotoxic and heat-stable. Taken together, the results of this study indicate that Pr-2 is a good candidate for use as a natural antifungal agent.
Edited by DiscoDobe

Interesting... Antifungal Mechanism of a Novel Antifungal Protein from Pumpkin Rinds against Various Fungal Pathogens

A novel antifungal protein (Pr-2) was identified from pumpkin rinds using water-soluble extraction, ultrafiltration, cation exchange chromatography, and reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry indicated that the protein had a molecular mass of 14865.57 Da. Automated Edman degradation showed that the N-terminal sequence of Pr-2 was QGIGVGDNDGKRGKR−. The Pr-2 protein strongly inhibited in vitro growth of Botrytis cinerea, Colletotrichum coccodes, Fusarium solani, Fusarium oxysporum, and Trichoderma harzianum at 10−20 μM. The results of confocal laser scanning microscopy and SYTOX Green uptake demonstrated that its effective region was the membrane of the fungal cell surface. In addition, this protein was found to be noncytotoxic and heat-stable. Taken together, the results of this study indicate that Pr-2 is a good candidate for use as a natural antifungal agent.

Well see? I'm sure I read that study and understood it all.

Thank you DD - I feel vindicated because I really was starting to wonder if I WAS indeed trailblazing :D.

I shall quizz him further next week...last night I was just too busy setting up & running four agility courses. The vet with whom he has spent 100's of $ over the last 18 months, laughed at him. When I cook pumpkin, I always leave the skin on & we eat it. Any left over gets given to the dogs. Maybe I should make it a regular part of their diet :)

Skin protects from Fungal Pathogens

Edited by sheena

Hmm... I may have to start cooking more pumpkin..

I LOVE pumpkin skin, as does Dozer.. OH isn't as keen and feeds Dozer his skins..

Might have to do a roast pumpkin soup and reserve all the skins for medicinal purposes.. (and noms for me!)

I've been reading quite a bit recently on the benefits of pumpkin (and skin) for hoomans so I guess those same benefits would be seen in dogs.

When I juice vegies and fruit I include skin on everything (if its normally eaten) as apparently maximum nutrients are found closest to the skin. Pumpkin and sweet potato feature quite a bit in different recommended juicing recipes.

I was reading it's apparently rich in potassium, magnesium and iron and there have been studies which show pumpkin skin has antibacterial benefits and anti-fungal properties. Maybe its the anti fungal side which is helping these dogs stop itching?

Edited by Roova

Interesting!

I may give this a go for Henry.

Any specific type of pumpkin stressy?

Um. Whatever is on special or leftover from the kids dinners? I'm hopeless really.

easy then!

I was assuming that all would be the same. but thought id ask anyway

Some of my clients would be extremely grateful if this were accurate! I have my own atopic dog so I will give it a shot. It would be interesting if it's more for yeasty dogs than other types of itchy ones.

Now...how much! Google wasn't my friend on this one so will just make a guess at dinner time!

Edited by sas

Some of my clients would be extremely grateful if this were accurate! I have my own atopic dog so I will give it a shot. It would be interesting if it's more for yeasty dogs than other types of itchy ones.

Now...how much! Google wasn't my friend on this one so will just make a guess at dinner time!

Is this any help :)

"The skin of that pumpkin you carve into a Jack-o'-Lantern to scare away ghosts and goblins on Halloween contains a substance that could put a scare into microbes that cause millions of cases of yeast infections in adults and infants each year…scientists extracted proteins from pumpkin rinds to see if the proteins inhibit the growth of microbes, including Candida albicans (C. albicans). That fungus causes vaginal yeast infections, diaper rash in infants, and other health problems. One protein had powerful effects in inhibiting the growth of C. albicans, in cell culture experiments, with no obvious toxic effects. The pumpkin protein could be developed into a natural medicine for fighting yeast infections in humans, the report suggests. The protein also blocked the growth of several fungi that attack important plant crops and could be useful as an agricultural fungicide, they add."

Ok. I asked the girls and apparently I tend to buy the stuff that ISNT butternut. Sorry I'm not more help. There IS a language barrier between Canadians and Australians sometimes - no matter what you think. Canadians don't tend to eat as much pumpkin except in pies - so it's s thing I started doing here. :D

And I know Georgia (anstaff) was prone to yeasty beasties so I'm guessing it's the pumpkin they refer to here.

Ps. I spent 15 very frustrating minutes in Officeworks looking for 'Elmer's glue and construction paper' so I DO know it's ME not Australia.

Ok. I asked the girls and apparently I tend to buy the stuff that ISNT butternut. Sorry I'm not more help. There IS a language barrier between Canadians and Australians sometimes - no matter what you think. Canadians don't tend to eat as much pumpkin except in pies - so it's s thing I started doing here. :D

And I know Georgia (anstaff) was prone to yeasty beasties so I'm guessing it's the pumpkin they refer to here.

Ps. I spent 15 very frustrating minutes in Officeworks looking for 'Elmer's glue and construction paper' so I DO know it's ME not Australia.

A butternut is a squash and so is a Jap Pumpkin, but from what I have read, it makes no difference whether it is called a squash or a pumpkin, they really are all in the same family, as are Zucchini, though we don't tend to grown these out to maturity, so probably don't have the same nutritional value in the skin. At a guess, I would say the ones with the thickest skins would be best. Ones like Queensland Blue & Jarradale. .... The ones that are hard to cut.

A butternut is a squash and so is a Jap Pumpkin, but from what I have read, it makes no difference whether it is called a squash or a pumpkin, they really are all in the same family, as are Zucchini, though we don't tend to grown these out to maturity, so probably don't have the same nutritional value in the skin. At a guess, I would say the ones with the thickest skins would be best. Ones like Queensland Blue & Jarradale. .... The ones that are hard to cut.

YES!! They're bastards to cut so I tend to cut and cook it all at once and Ernie gets what's left.

Is this any help :)

"The skin of that pumpkin you carve into a Jack-o'-Lantern to scare away ghosts and goblins on Halloween contains a substance that could put a scare into microbes that cause millions of cases of yeast infections in adults and infants each year…scientists extracted proteins from pumpkin rinds to see if the proteins inhibit the growth of microbes, including Candida albicans (C. albicans). That fungus causes vaginal yeast infections, diaper rash in infants, and other health problems. One protein had powerful effects in inhibiting the growth of C. albicans, in cell culture experiments, with no obvious toxic effects. The pumpkin protein could be developed into a natural medicine for fighting yeast infections in humans, the report suggests. The protein also blocked the growth of several fungi that attack important plant crops and could be useful as an agricultural fungicide, they add."

Thank you Ma'am!

YES!! They're bastards to cut so I tend to cut and cook it all at once and Ernie gets what's left.

I can't do them myself without injury risk so I had the OH do them hehe