Uncertain What We Should Do

kami

These are some great suggestions. The dog bloke does sound interesting. We are based in Moorabbin in melbourne so that could work potentially sounds also like a great option to sus out depending on cost.

Christina we would would consider taking Annie with us, but would really like to have a pet free holiday so we can hang out, relax and enjoy our honeymoon without worrying about her need for a little while. She gets loads of stimulation and attention at home, and while we love her dearly, having some time away from our crazy shift worker lives without worrying about her needs would be a relief and a chance to relax.

I won't take her back there. We took her there for doggie daycare once (free voucher), and were disappointed as the staff said she hadn't been confident, so they let her pull on the lead to build her confidence (in response to me pointing out they should not let her pull them on the lead - which Annie was doing)!It took a couple of walks to fix that....

Have you considered contacting the rescue you got her from and asking if they can help? I am heavily involved in a rescue over here and we often babysit ex rescue babies for people. That way you're more than likely able to find someone familiar with troubled dogs and equipped to work with them.

These are some great suggestions. The dog bloke does sound interesting. We are based in Moorabbin in melbourne so that could work potentially sounds also like a great option to sus out depending on cost.

Yeah I'm not sure the cost so you'd have to call or text him. His one-on-one training sessions are pretty reasonable so I imagine the boarding is too. And of course inspect where they are being boarded - I haven't done that yet as I'm not going to need him until summer, but he mentioned he boards other dogs in situations like me (scared/reactive + an owner who suddenly has to go away for a week or two). If you do go with him, I'd love to hear about the set up!

He did say what suburb but I've forgotten... his internet presence isn't huge, most of his work is by word of mouth/references i think. I got his mobile # from a trainer with troubled dogs.

And worse comes to worse, I'm pretty sure Thistle's old foster-carer wouldn't mind having her visit again. I've also had a friend-of-a-friend (does wolfhound rehab) house-dog-sit for me once. So maybe ask around your extended network?

Edited by Thistle the dog

Hi Guys - shameless pump here but I run PetHomeStay.com - its a bit like Airbnb for pets. We have at least 10 sitters in Moorabbin that can help including some that work in animal shelters and at Melbourne Zoo. We provide full liability insurance, 24x7 support and $2500 vet emergency cover on every stay. Check the out - its free to contact people and send them a message :)

Some good Moorabbin Hosts are here - https://www.pethomestay.com.au/homestays?utf8=✓&search%5Blocation%5D=Moorabbin

Give me a shout if you need any help!

Tom

Showdog that is exactly what made me go hmm. Something is not quite right here. I wouldn't let a strangers dog off the lead because I don't have that rapport and bond with the dog whereby I could expect it to come back!

Showdog that is exactly what made me go hmm. Something is not quite right here. I wouldn't let a strangers dog off the lead because I don't have that rapport and bond with the dog whereby I could expect it to come back!

I've lost a lot of clients because I won't take their dog off lead!

Sorry to hear that Teebs, personally I would find that more appealing in a pet carer.

Well, wedding dilemma sorted! Huw Annie and I went and inspected cottage kennels and loved it. We have booked her into the main, but are considering upgrading her to the deck for part of her stay. Absolutely thrilled dogs there get 4 hours of run around time with other dogs, and she will share with another dog which is perfect. She probably won't want to come home!

Thanks for all the suggestions, we can definitely sleep easily with this option.

I've lost a lot of clients because I won't take their dog off lead!

Just like boarding kennels where people want a free for all share scenario ,we won't do it,you over book have an issue & then no where to put the dogs ,dogs at home generally have a play then sleep or potter about most aren't use to sharing or tolerating something 24/7 ,they like there own bed,toys & food then a stranger wants there stuff

But we look at it this way are dogs are safe in our care & the clients we have appreciate it then ones who have often used the Lets all share kind generally return after something goes wrong .

We will let little dogs play if owners want but no kennels can guarantee a perfect match