Dogs At Markets - Yay Or Nay?

Steph M

60 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs at markets

• Yes - Allow them
    • No - Ban them

JulesP I get asked what type of breed (usually it's "what's that crossed with") all the time. It would be rare I went somewhere like the markets and wasn't stopped half a dozen times at least to be asked what blaze is or have someone comment on her lol. I don't mind it as I'm a very social person but if you weren't it would get tiring quickly.

I don't mind that, I like it, and like promoting the breed. I get pissed off when I'm trying to enjoy a coffee or a dinner and people interrupt meals or conversations with friends to pat the calm dog or ask me questions about him without even an "excuse me", or as TSD said, send children over to pat the interesting dog while they continue sitting there enjoying their coffees!

So out comes the patches!

Lovely video of Blaze by the way!

Edited by LisaCC

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes that is definitely annoying. It particularly annoys me when people let their dogs or children run up to "say hello". You really need a dog you are very certain can handle that level of distraction if you want to take them somewhere like a market.

.... Personally I pretty much expect people will stop me and want to talk and pat the dogs, it's just the nature of (some) people, and I accept it, and most of the time, enjoy it, apart from the smart arses who think they're funny and original ....

Totally agree: another common forum complaint is people's general ignorance of breeds and ownership etc, and deriding "Joe Public" for not being born knowing all about dogs. If dog owners can't be bothered to help the public who are interested enough to ask, who should? Pet shops and puppy farmers?

.... Personally I pretty much expect people will stop me and want to talk and pat the dogs, it's just the nature of (some) people, and I accept it, and most of the time, enjoy it, apart from the smart arses who think they're funny and original ....

Totally agree: another common forum complaint is people's general ignorance of breeds and ownership etc, and deriding "Joe Public" for not being born knowing all about dogs. If dog owners can't be bothered to help the public who are interested enough to ask, who should? Pet shops and puppy farmers?

I no problems with talking to people about the dogs but I do have a big problem with rude people interrupting my conversation!!

This thread has reminded me of taking Brandi to the Redfern Markets. We'd been doing some therapy dog training and she'd learned how to position herself beside a wheelchair for pats and rewards. DH had her, and got jerked sideways about ten metres because she'd seen an elderly lady in a wheelchair. She knew her job, and was going to do it, crowds and leash or not. By the time I'd caught up, Brandi was standing proudly beside the chair getting lots of pats from a clearly delighted dog-loving person, while a red-faced DH made profuse apologies to the lady and her daughter. Apparently the lady had had dogs, but couldn't any more, and found it difficult to interact with them because many either had to be picked up and held on a lap to be petted, or were a little shy of approaching the chair. So Brandi rocking up with such enthusiasm really made her day.

I like markets. Must try yo take the boys out sometime. I'm sure Benny would adore it.

.... OT but what stalls / markets are you at usually? I go to the Showground markets from time to time and will be visiting the Handmade markets tomorrow. ....

Missed this sorry - and didn't get to the handmade. Til this month I've been at the Showgrounds every week with the cards (indoor pavilion stand): will not go back til the chooks start laying again and do fresh eggs as well as the cards (registered egg producer, not a backyard cowboy). Castlemaine Farmers with LETS and Produce Exchange, same at Maldon and also sometimes help there with the poultry stand. Sometimes Dunolly Street Market with either cards or eggs or both. Maryborough Station and/or Racetrack alternate monthly markets. Daylesford just very occasionally. Small ones: Bendigo Uniting Church market is usually good (near Aldis), Anglican Fair in the road behind them is a bit smaller/quieter but reliable. (They know I'm an atheist but still always invite me, good people at both). So it's hard to commit ahead, depends what I have and where the rain is forecast, a bit of a hit and miss diary. Just has to be organised more in the egg season, Spring-Summer-Autumn. Winter is more for cards whether hand-made or Phoenix, and a week off now and then. Booked a spot for the Ag Show in Oct but that's around $200 for a stand, need to do well to break even, might opt out.

Just going to the Showgrounds for a look this coming weekend as the big Alpaca event is on for three days, fleeces and animals. And our Poultry Club auction on Sat 19 Sept.

.... OT but what stalls / markets are you at usually? I go to the Showground markets from time to time and will be visiting the Handmade markets tomorrow. ....

Missed this sorry - and didn't get to the handmade. Til this month I've been at the Showgrounds every week with the cards (indoor pavilion stand): will not go back til the chooks start laying again and do fresh eggs as well as the cards (registered egg producer, not a backyard cowboy). Castlemaine Farmers with LETS and Produce Exchange, same at Maldon and also sometimes help there with the poultry stand. Sometimes Dunolly Street Market with either cards or eggs or both. Maryborough Station and/or Racetrack alternate monthly markets. Daylesford just very occasionally. Small ones: Bendigo Uniting Church market is usually good (near Aldis), Anglican Fair in the road behind them is a bit smaller/quieter but reliable. (They know I'm an atheist but still always invite me, good people at both). So it's hard to commit ahead, depends what I have and where the rain is forecast, a bit of a hit and miss diary. Just has to be organised more in the egg season, Spring-Summer-Autumn. Winter is more for cards whether hand-made or Phoenix, and a week off now and then. Booked a spot for the Ag Show in Oct but that's around $200 for a stand, need to do well to break even, might opt out.

Just going to the Showgrounds for a look this coming weekend as the big Alpaca event is on for three days, fleeces and animals. And our Poultry Club auction on Sat 19 Sept.

I'm in Bendigo and like to frequent the markets, I'll have to keep an eye out for you! I'll definitely come and say hello if you're at the Ag Show in October, I'm helping out at the Alpaca Show over the weekend so if you bump into a short girl with glasses rushing around its probably me :laugh:

Will try to catch up Better Late - will you be an official or with a particular stud - I only have two pet/guard alpacas, not showing, just learning more. (Also short with glasses, probably a camera, I'll be the older one of the two of us - or fifty of us - fitting the description).

Will try to catch up Better Late - will you be an official or with a particular stud - I only have two pet/guard alpacas, not showing, just learning more. (Also short with glasses, probably a camera, I'll be the older one of the two of us - or fifty of us - fitting the description).

I'm not sure yet, just waiting on a call from the show organiser so we'll see what she needs me to do over the weekend, so I could be doing anything from stewarding to running around getting coffee for people. I'll wear a red bandana to make it easier!

Edited by Better Late

Bendigonians unite :laugh:

I may check it out on the weekend as well, perhaps I'll see you there. :)

I went to the Wayville farmers market last Sunday. No dogs allowed in there. It was very crowded tho - much more than the one in Huski's video.

There is a place in there that sells dog biscuits too. They are large bone shaped maybe 15cm long and 5cm wide and 1cm deep. Look like regular flour based bikkies. Didn't buy any cos I'm more into training treats than big flour based things she can make disappear inside a few seconds. If I want her to have that - I give her a slice of frozen bread.

I went to the Wayville farmers market last Sunday. No dogs allowed in there. It was very crowded tho - much more than the one in Huski's video.

There is a place in there that sells dog biscuits too. They are large bone shaped maybe 15cm long and 5cm wide and 1cm deep. Look like regular flour based bikkies. Didn't buy any cos I'm more into training treats than big flour based things she can make disappear inside a few seconds. If I want her to have that - I give her a slice of frozen bread.

Are they this one? http://www.4pawspremiumdoggiesnacks.com/

They are the ones we buy every month for ours. They get one each for breakfast and as an occasional treat

This thread has reminded me of taking Brandi to the Redfern Markets. We'd been doing some therapy dog training and she'd learned how to position herself beside a wheelchair for pats and rewards. DH had her, and got jerked sideways about ten metres because she'd seen an elderly lady in a wheelchair. She knew her job, and was going to do it, crowds and leash or not. By the time I'd caught up, Brandi was standing proudly beside the chair getting lots of pats from a clearly delighted dog-loving person, while a red-faced DH made profuse apologies to the lady and her daughter. Apparently the lady had had dogs, but couldn't any more, and found it difficult to interact with them because many either had to be picked up and held on a lap to be petted, or were a little shy of approaching the chair. So Brandi rocking up with such enthusiasm really made her day.

I like markets. Must try yo take the boys out sometime. I'm sure Benny would adore it.

This story made my day! I can just imagine those determined, beady eyes homing in on the wheelchair. Thank you, the whole family enjoyed hearing it. We miss having a grey around the house.