How Old Until Pups Can Eat Chicken Wings?

joey13

Hey guys,

Picked up 8 week old Bull Terrier (Miniature) yesterday.

How old until they can have a crack at raw chicken wings. I jtried giving her one last night and freaked out. Tried to get it out of her mouth which she didn't like and growled and bit down on my hand. She ate the wing tip no problem but I wasn't game enough to let her try the bigger bone?!

Thanks guys!

My pups get chicken pieces from around 3.5 to 4 weeks of age. The little vultures suck all the meat off at first, but certainly by 8 weeks of age they are handling any part of the chicken, turkey necks and brisket bones.

I'm betting an 8 week old mini bully would handle a chicken wing pretty easily! If it were my dog I would have no hesitation whatsoever giving a chicken wing to the puppy, supervised of course. I reckon it will take your puppy about a nano second to get the hang of it !

Not nom nom.....

My pups get chicken pieces from around 3.5 to 4 weeks of age. The little vultures suck all the meat off at first, but certainly by 8 weeks of age they are handling any part of the chicken, turkey necks and brisket bones.

Same here. I stop chicken necks by 6 weeks and by 9 weeks I prefer chicken frames not wings because they just gobble them with not much chewing. Personally I would be working through any resource guarding quick smart.

Same here. I stop chicken necks by 6 weeks and by 9 weeks I prefer chicken frames not wings because they just gobble them with not much chewing. Personally I would be working through any resource guarding quick smart.

That jumped out at me too, I'd get onto that now, little bugger!

So I shouldn't freak out when she swallows the bones?

SHe certainly didn't seem to mind it but she was making strange sounds which made me concerned.

If she is "swallowing the bones" as in not munching up much before swallowing, it might be already time to move to something bigger, like a 1/2 a raw chicken carcass, to slow down eating and ensure a bit more chewing.

So I shouldn't freak out when she swallows the bones?

SHe certainly didn't seem to mind it but she was making strange sounds which made me concerned.

If she is "swallowing the bones" as in not munching up much before swallowing, it might be already time to move to something bigger, like a 1/2 a raw chicken carcass, to slow down eating and ensure a bit more chewing.

Agree. Bones that are swallowed quickly means they are a bit small. I feed whole small frames to my 14 week old and the adults get them frozen.

That jumped out at me too, I'd get onto that now, little bugger!

Not that uncommon surprisingly with chicken wings etc! Easy to fix sooner rather than later though.

My dogs have loved to gnaw on turkey neck as a puppy, too big to swallow whole. They literally do suck the meat off but perfectly safe for them to swallow if they can as long as it's a swallowable size! Chicken bones are very soft when raw and dogs stomach acid is well suited for breaking down bones.

I'm not one to subscribe to taking food off dogs anyway but its useful to train a leave it command in case they are into something dangerous. Then they leave their resource rather than you taking it off them.

I did this (and I am no expert so do your own research and use your own judgement) by having the puppy on lead while eating, walk puppy away from food while saying leave it, then reward with something they go crazy for which for my dogs is currently smoked things like a small bit of salami or bacon or sardines if you don't mind the smell and mess.

Then let them go back to the food so they know that if they leave their resource when you ask they get to go back to it after you have given an even better snack. This wouldn't work well with a bone because they will just take it with them so needs to be food in a bowl.

If you are feeding dry dog food, you can dole out all the daily rations as training rewards so the food comes directly from you too, but this doesn't work so well for sloppy raw diets.

I tried again with the wings, this time cutting into smaller pieces. Couldn't do it. To me it looked like she had intentions on trying to swallow them but couldn't and the noises she was making freaked me out. They seem to get stuck in the top of her mouth and she struggles to get it off or something or maybe she is trying to down it but it won't go.

Way too risky for my liking.

I want to continue with the raw meat and bones but it's proving a tad difficult at the minute because she's only eating meat. No bone content as such.

Are necks any better or softer? Should I wait until she's a little older for wings?