And The Award For World Class Whining Goes To.........

Little Gifts

Tempeh (our pei) has always been a talker. Her vocabulary has been quite diverse and we can usually tell what she wants or how she is feeling by the sounds she makes. But lately she is just a non-stop whiner. I can't find a spot I like on the bed (whine), Wolf is blocking the doorway (whine), my breakfast is due in 5 minutes and you aren't already making it (whine), one of the dogs is still outside and you've shut the door (whine), it's treat time (whine), I'm cold (whine), my coat is falling off (whine), I can't go outside to pee because it is raining (whine), there is a dangerous dog eating gecko on the back window (whine), this dog bed is not clean enough for me to lie on (whine), this dog bed is not in the right place for me to lie on (whine), what are you doing behind that toilet door (whine). It is endless. I find myself looking at her and asking "What?" I wish it was the kind of noise that could be ignored but she is relentless and it gets irritating and under your skin. She is doing it because her routine has been in turmoil for the past two months and it is her only way of communicating her frustration to us. I do get that. Hopefully things in our life will settle again soon and she can go back to just being quirky rather than irritating. But make me feel better, tell me there are other whiners out there? What do they whine at you about?

Stan never stops whining and it hasn't improved with age. From the moment he wakes up he whines, he rarely gets out of bed when I do he likes to sleep in but I'll hear him starting to roo roo from my bed when he awakes. His coat has rolled off a bit or the pillow has fallen off, you know, those things that just annoy a retired greyhound O.o When he finally graces Maddie and I with his presence he starts his whining day with demanding breakfast immediately! He then whines to go out then he whines to come in. He starts whining around 11am for his chicken wing then he whines to go out, then whines to come in. He whines because he has dug all the blankets up in a pile on the lounge and he's cold. He whines because Maddie is laying on the good lounge and he can't fit on, he can't lay on the click clack lounge I bought for them because he chewed a great big honking hole in the middle of that and he gets all whiny about the hole in the lounge. He whines around 2.30 to go for a walk, he then whines in the car all the way to the park and then whines when we've walked too far and he wants to go home. Dog help us if it rains while we're walking, he doesn't like rain, makes him all whiny. He then whines for his dinner, starting around 3pm. Dinner is around 4pm so after an hour of whining he's starving so he scoffs his food and then he whines to go out and then whines to come in. He then whines until the sun goes down (I loathe daylight savings as we have HOURS of extra whining) where he so tired from whining all day he sleeps like the dead so gets all whiny when I wake him to go to the toilet before bedtime. Next day repeat.

I used to ask him "what? what do you want?" but he doesn't know so it's just like background noise these days. Sort of like living next to a freeway you get used to it eventually :laugh:

Edited by HazyWal

Feather whines. She wants me to evict someone from the bed she wants to sleep in. The blankets aren't fluffed up right. She doesn't want to walk all the way round the house to come in through the dog door, I am supposed to let her in via the kitchen door. She wants her coat on. She wants her coat off. She wants me to lift the blankets so she can get underneath. She wants me to lift her off the bed.

She's over 13 years old now and a bit funny in the head, so I tend to indulge her because I dont know how much longer I'll have her, and I love the annoying little crackpot.

Most of evil hounds whining whinging screaming and yelling are about food. And unfortunately I've been rewarding some very noisy behaviour.

More recently I shut her in the house while I applied a noxious chemical to the weeds in the lawn. and she whined that she couldn't be outside supervising and then that I would not let her out there to inspect (despite getting a lot of extra toilet walks).

I can stop it pretty easily - put lead on her and make her sit with me where ever I am in the house. But I do have to make sure there have been enough toilet stops when I do that.

Four retired greyhounds. There's a lot of whining, whinging, rooing and huffing here. The whining at the toilet door has, thankfully, slowed down with Paige consenting herself by pressing against the door and listening to make sure I hadn't left by the secret portal we have in there and which I have never yet used, instead of her whining frantically and clawing the door open. Sadly, the over three years of training it took to get to that point was undone when DH came home when we were out on a walk and so emerged from the bathroom without being seen to go in, thus confirming the existence of the secret portal. The whining has returned.

Dog wise I'm lucky, it's only when it's around tea time, walk time or training time...or when bored (this is random).

BUT...

One of the cats. OMG. He is unrelenting. Only shuts up for a little while after being fed. Whines cos he's hungry, cold, bored, it's windy, it's hot, it's raining, he's hungry, he's bored, he just IS. Starts from when I get up in the morning and doesn't stop till bed time. Except for a few breaks in between...never happy that cat. Never.

I'm sorry, I still haven't stopped giggling.

Dozer only whines if I'm not fast enough making his food, usually only if it's a special meal like kibble soup (kibble with a tiny pinch of stock powder and loads of water) , or sardines or canned food. Or if he's locked on the patio then wants to come out or in.

Or someone has food and isn't sharing!

I feel blessed that he whines so little!

I know Tempeh's has developed from boredom but there is just not a lot I can do about that at prsent. I hope when life returns to normal she no longer needs to whine and can just return to general talking as at least I could understand what she is saying then! Hopefully she and Stan will never meet and it wont become permanent!

But thank you, it does make me feel good to know I'm not alone!