52/2016

trifecta

It doesn't look over processed at all, Dididog and Didi is so pretty. What gapvic said about opening up the shadows a bit for more detail. :)

That's so beautiful, teekay. I'd really love to try doing something like that during the year. I highly doubt I'll come even close to what you're creating but it would be fun to try!

Thanks Snook, just give it a go, take lots of shots, experiment with the speed you actually pan. You get some funny looks from people but it's so exciting to look at the back of the camera and see what you got :)

Don't feel funny about having a point and shoot, Scottsmum. It doesn't matter what you use, it's what you do with it that matters. I really like your composition and the way you've used the camera to get some pretty bokeh. :)

I love bumble bees, I had no idea you had them here in Australia until I went to Tasmania. Well done Scottsmum, they are not easy to photograph. I tried, and failed miserably. :laugh:

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it too late? Can I join? WARNING: I am a very bad photographer and my camera is several years old but I need to challenge myself to learn something new.

Yes, you sure can! That makes 12 of us now :thumbsup:

Thanks

I am not quite sure what you mean by theme but I thought I might focus on a corner of my garden. Is that okay?

I love bumble bees, I had no idea you had them here in Australia until I went to Tasmania. Well done Scottsmum, they are not easy to photograph. I tried, and failed miserably. :laugh:

Thanks Teekay - also I'm in NZ these days - Bumble bees aplenty :)

Hi all - here is my first pic

Firstly - I am loving what I am seeing from everyone - so many great pics

I took it out of the window on a Sydney to Adelaide flight yesterday - the clouds were amazing.

I really wanted one which had a bit of the window in the foreground, but every one I took had window reflection. I could not see it on my computer preview, but as soon as I looked at them on the computer I could see it. I have another flight next week, so will try again.

More than happy for all feedback - I want to learn, so please feel free for all comments

(FYI - I am using an Olympus Mark II mirrorless camera - I know the purists believe that mirrorless is not as good as a 'full' Canon/Nikon DSLR, but I love that it fits in my handbag (so I use it more) and at my standard I am happy with the pictures.

post-41468-0-49822200-1452161769_thumb.jpg

Edited by BDJ

thanks Snook

Any suggestion on how I can increase the contrast? - I would love them to have a bit more detail/contrast. Would it be with changing the settings on the camera, or through tweaking in photoshop? (I haven't done any processing on it at all yet)

ta

My first effort. I have just started a flickr account and that was challenging. I also had problems uploading because I did not know how, but it finally worked although I am not quite sure how. I am a totally novice photographer and my camera is an antique, so please don't laugh. All I was trying to concentrate on was the composition, ie usually that means not chopping heads off and here it is not chopping off the head of the umbrella and getting all of the chair in. I only got half the pot but if I had included all of it I would have lost the top of the umbrella.

Title: My special place.

Here goes :crossfingers:

23618940333_d73732da26_b.jpg

eta my dog's tail in the front corner :D It was not intended

Edited by sarspididious

My first effort. I have just started a flickr account and that was challenging. I also had problems uploading because I did not know how, but it finally worked although I am not quite sure how. I am a totally novice photographer and my camera is an antique, so please don't laugh. All I was trying to concentrate on was the composition, ie usually that means not chopping heads off and here it is not chopping off the head of the umbrella and getting all of the chair in. I only got half the pot but if I had included all of it I would have lost the top of the umbrella.

Title: My special place.

Here goes :crossfingers:

23618940333_d73732da26_b.jpg

eta my dog's tail in the front corner :D It was not intended

Me too!

I needed to figure out flickr - even though I had (it turns out) an account set up yonks ago.

Then I needed to figure out how to post nice big photos - I've always added tiny little compressed attachments - I asked, then figured it out so edited my post.

and I have a daggy older-ish camera.

Also - love the photo. Looks like a really lovely spot to sit and relax.

Thank you Snook and Scottsmum. Beautiful photos everyone. I can see a craft in there which I don't quite understand, especially in Snook's and teekay's sunsets - the way the colours are distinct yet blend together so beautifully. Can anyone recommend a book for a novice photographer - one that explains the different terms about photographs and one that discusses the virtues of different cameras. It would also be helpful if I could get some information about uploading photos to a website such as DOL. For example how do you control the size of what you post? Are some people just posting from their computers or is everyone using flickr? What is the point of a website like flickr? Sorry if this is too long. I just want to know more. :D

Thank you Snook and Scottsmum. Beautiful photos everyone. I can see a craft in there which I don't quite understand, especially in Snook's and teekay's sunsets - the way the colours are distinct yet blend together so beautifully. Can anyone recommend a book for a novice photographer - one that explains the different terms about photographs and one that discusses the virtues of different cameras. It would also be helpful if I could get some information about uploading photos to a website such as DOL. For example how do you control the size of what you post? Are some people just posting from their computers or is everyone using flickr? What is the point of a website like flickr? Sorry if this is too long. I just want to know more. :D

Others will be able to give better answers - I look forward to seeing them! but ...

Regarding learning material - I am going to do this: The Art of Photography https://www.open2stu...-of-photography It's free, Snook has done it - should be able to give a review on it. Next class kicks off on the 11th and goes for 4 weeks.

Re uploading: Brace yourself - this is bare bones basic - but how I understand it. You put your photos on flickr, photobucket, google drive (there are others) so they're "on the internet" (don't laugh). That's it - Flickr et al are hosts. By uploading to a host site Troy/DOL doesnt have to host (take up space) huge image files attached to the board.

Of course other positives mean you can share the links other places - like facebook and blogs should you choose -as you're pointing people back to flickr to see the image - not DOL. Negatives could include loss of privacy and rights - but that's another can of worms.

You will find that you can't upload a nice "big" image straight from your computer to DOL. (By big I mean file size not x cm by x cm). I find that even the images I take on my phone are too large to attach to the board.

To change the size of what you post (again - sure there are other ways - I'm new to this too) you can select the size when picking the link from Flickr. See below:

post-51207-0-28097600-1452288616_thumb.jpg

Once you've uploaded the photo to flickr, go to the album, select the image you want to share ( assume you know how to do this - ask if you dont - but I figured it out - so you should be able to do it too)

Image 1 gives you 'sharing options' (where you want to share it to) - I picked BBcode for bulletin board.

Image 2 lets you pick a size from a drop down - you'll start to learn what looks good - I picked a few until I had a size where I could see all of my own photo on my screen without scrolling (I use a laptop).

Just as a final note - the image above is an attachment - it's hosted by DOL and there are size limits to the file and as you can see it shows differently to the photos. The size of the file sitting on my computer is 91 kb (the upload limit is 300kb). The size of my bumble bee photo is 4.3 mb - I'd have a snowballs hope in hell of attaching it straight from the computer. A photo straight from my phone is about 2.8mb and even compressed they're about 1mb.

Sometimes (actually - all the times if I'm being brutally honest) I would take a photo, open it up on my computer, screen shot it and save it to paint to "compress" it enough to be uploaded here as an attachment. I have only just figured this vital hosting step since joining this thread! This is great for me - not so great for the rest of DOL as you're all about to be "Scottie Spammed" up the wahooo... ;)

Hope that helps - I know it's rambly - but that's how I understand it. Welcome to my mind.

(edit: a few typos)

Edited by Scottsmum

I think Scottsmum has covered Flickr really well but with regard to books. The first book I read when I picked up a camera as a complete novice, about 2 years ago, was Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

http://www.booktopia.com.au/understanding-exposure-bryan-peterson/prod9780817439392.html?source=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQiA2b20BRDj4buduIG-y9EBEiQAhgMGFRnsnaOaERc159nJNOr_F5aF4iW5rjdObjVC_rN_-lwaAv7r8P8HAQ

Everything is explained very well in there. My husband had tried to explain exposure, iso, aperture etc to me, many times but it just didn't sink in until I read that book. Good luck with your photography journey. It's so much fun and you never stop learning.

Edited by teekay

Thankyou Scottsmum for sharing your mind. That information was so interesting. I sat in my special place and read it. Thankyou also to teekay. I have ordered that book. I have no idea what exposure means - something to do with the sun, and aperture I assume is something to do with an opening. I am excited about this new learning journey. :)