Dachshund Racing

BarbedWire

Just wondering what people think about this.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-life/sausage-dog-dash-canberras-first-dachshund-races-at-the-bungendore-show-2016-20160129-gmgqla.html

Sausage dog dash! Canberra's first dachshund races at the Bungendore Show 2016

Date

January 29, 2016 - 1:42PM

Kimberley Le Lievre

Jedi dachshund Obi-Wan, who will be taking part in dachshund races at the Bungendore Show on the weekend. 1454035349868.jpgPhoto: Kimberley Le Lievre

He might be tiny and sausage shaped but the force is strong in this one.

Jedi dachshund, Obi-Wan, draped in his Star Wars-certified outfit, will join more than 60 sausage dogs taking part in the Canberra region's first ever dachshund races at the Bungendore Show.

The races, dubbed the Werriwa Weiner Dash, will be held on Sunday, January 31.

Just like the Melbourne Cup, but with Dachshunds.

1454035349868.jpgPhoto by Katrina Sherlock.

There will also be a dachshund dress-up competition with dogs in their best (and most delightful) costumes. With their tiny legs and bellies that skim the ground, the amusing-looking animals will be the stars of the day

Weiner Dash organiser Mark Ellis said it wouldn't be a massive run for the dogs - just 20 metres. But he expects the races to draw a big crowd.

"They're cute dogs to begin with, I think everyone finds them cute and funny looking, being longer than they are tall," he said.

"It's not the sort of dog you normally get to see running flat chat to try and beat the one next door. Hopefully they do move and they don't just scratch themselves, or sniff the bum of another one, or run perpendicular to the racetrack, but it's all fun."

Mr Ellis will also be hosting the dress-up competition for the dogs at 12.30pm on the day.

The Bungendore Show will be held on Sunday from 9am to 4pm, with dachshund racing from 10.30am to 2.30pm.

Along with dachshund racing, the award-winning show boasts plenty of other family friendly activities including reptile displays and other animal events.

Entry to the dachshund races is by gold coin donation, with all funds raised going to Dachshund Rescue Australia.

The Bungendore Show is on Sunday, January 31, at the Bungendore Showgrounds. Tickets $5-$35 for a family. See www.bungendoreshow.com.au

Edited by sarspididious

I have no issue as long as the dogs are in a fit state, not grossly overweight. I wont say "typically overweight" - because I think we see a lot more responsible ownership with Dachshunds these days. But yeh - I think as long as they're fit and healthy why not?

They're a working breed and it's only 20 meters. Hopefully they have marshals who'll be able to advise people if the dog doesn't look suitable for racing.

It's a bit of fun for pets! Obi Wan is a Bungendore resident and all proceeds from this event which is part of the Bungendore show goes to Dachshund Rescue. Sometimes they don't even break out of a trot but stop to sniff the enticing smells :laugh:

Edited by trifecta

I'm glad they have something dog related there. They dropped their dog section from the show. :(

Yes, I was surprised about that. There are several events for pet dogs and a high jump competition, both of which always draw big entries and are popular with the general public. It does seem however, that the gap in interest between purebred dogs and novelty events for pets is forever widening :(

Just wondering what people think about this. ....

Is there an aspect of it you think is not quite right?

The distance is tiny - 20 metres, just across a normal small house-block front yard (even an unfit doggie would not be over-worked). Daxies can move - they are fast and clever at lure-coursing. Good to have an activity that might inspire owners to do some fitness walks to prepare.

Just wondering what people think about this. ....

Is there an aspect of it you think is not quite right?

The distance is tiny - 20 metres, just across a normal small house-block front yard (even an unfit doggie would not be over-worked). Daxies can move - they are fast and clever at lure-coursing. Good to have an activity that might inspire owners to do some fitness walks to prepare.

Ha! I would love to see them coursing! they are such bright dogs ...and full of determination :)

:) The dogs don't mind people laughing at them, I'm sure ....and it's dogs being dogs, at least - not 'artistic' grooming, or dogs walking a tightwire ;)

I dunno - I laughed at Scottie so hard this morning he went to his Dad for comfort. He was sooooo embarrassed.

:) The dogs don't mind people laughing at them, I'm sure ....and it's dogs being dogs, at least - not 'artistic' grooming, or dogs walking a tightwire ;)

I dunno - I laughed at Scottie so hard this morning he went to his Dad for comfort. He was sooooo embarrassed.

yes, but Scottie is Scottie ;)

]

Ha! I would love to see them coursing! they are such bright dogs ...and full of determination :)

Loved this pair of friends, this one lure-coursing at Rosebud would be 2005 or 2006.

DSC_3784-M.jpg

Fun though for all shapes and sizes to have a safe place to run - puts a smile on all their faces.

DSC_3242-M.jpg

I'm glad they have something dog related there. They dropped their dog section from the show. :(

Yes, I was surprised about that. There are several events for pet dogs and a high jump competition, both of which always draw big entries and are popular with the general public. It does seem however, that the gap in interest between purebred dogs and novelty events for pets is forever widening :(

Maybe the public just find traditional showing boring. Purebred dogs can do novelty events, or very physical sporting events which will show off their athletic abilities and are much better spectator sports for the person on the street.

Maybe the public just find traditional showing boring. Purebred dogs can do novelty events, or very physical sporting events which will show off their athletic abilities and are much better spectator sports for the person on the street.

I don't see why it would be any more boring than poultry, cattle or rabbit showing? *shrugs*

My understanding was that the decision had nothing to do with the public and everything to do with Show Committee politics. Most notably the politics of giving the horse exhibitors more room. How quickly some show committees forget how they made dogs centre stage during the equine influenza outbreak and how dog exhibitors kept them afloat.

The impact on income will be significant. Time to wait and see what happens next.

It would have been nice for people to see and meet Dachsie breeders if they were interested in the dogs as opposed to walking the mine field of finding a dog on Gumtree.

Edited by Haredown Whippets