Dreadlock Formation: How To Prevent?

sporti

My older GSD, is a stockman coat. the back feathers on his back left leg, are constantly getting dreadlocks in there. He is no longer able to self groom the back end due to arthritis, and i never realised how much they actually groom themseleves! till they are too old too anyhow.

Is there a product, that will help prevent this?

Im doing preventatives: grooming that leg daily, detangling each knot. Takes about 20 mins per day on the one leg.

The terrain he is on is bush like, and swimming in damn daily. Hence needs redoing daily. But wondered if there is a preventative product, or to have his feathers removed on the back legs by groomer.

Are there any groomers of long haired GSD's with recommendations here?

Edited by sporti

A horse product called Showsheen is good for that. I use it on my Border Collies tails & pants, but unfortunately, it doesn't last on them because they are swimming every day. I also use a human leave-in conditioner by Schwarzkopf when I am grooming them. That is the best I have found for getting through the knots.

Yup, get a silicone based conditioner (even pantene...) and put it in a spray bottle and squirt it on him before combing through and after. I have to say 20min daily on each leg seems excessive - do you use a comb?

Some people don't agree with brushing wet hair, but it's a dog's bum...

Yes i use a comb. A human comb,

Im going to try to get it out today with using a conditioner you leave in as suggested. I have a day off, he has a marrow bone, we will meet on the deck at lunch time and get cracking. and if it doesnt work, i have scissors. I will cut the darn thing out if i have to, but would rather groom it out, so he keeps his trousers.

I had him groomed professionally about a year ago. He came back groomed AND clipped! I remember being furious with groomer, as never did i mention clipping him. He looked like an old english sheep dog at the back end, not a GSD shape at all. I didnt think you were supposed to clip double coated dogs?

Yeah, you don't really need to clip them and I would have been SO angry with the groomer too!

It might be the clipping that has contributed to his matting as it does change the coat a bit (my GSD was shaved for surgery and there was a difference in his coat when it grew back)

If it's just one dread you can cut it apart lengthwise and comb out smaller sections.

If it's too close to the skin it might need to be clipped off, but a good groomer can do that so that it's hidden amongst the rest of the coat and not too obvious.

Perhaps get a pr. of thinning scissors and use on the feathers? that way there would still be some length - but with individual hairs different lengths , mats may not form as readily?

As it only happens on one leg -

is the leg on his underside when he lies down?

does he lick/chew at that leg because of mild arthritic pain, perhaps ?

I'd probably be clipping him, to be honest.

I know it might look funny at first, but I'd rather have them look a little strange then worry about mats and other problems and if he's not keeping up with the grooming there is no harm in helping him out.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Using a human comb, unless it is stainless steel with deep wide teeth, is just making an enormous rod for your own back, and will take forever to do just one trouser! Any leave-in product is a waste of money as will just wash off in the dam.

Honestly you really can't go past an undercoat rake or similar product for this sort of thing. So much faster. Plus by removing the dead undercoat, you will get less matting altogether.

This is the sort of undercoat rake I recommend. You can get cheaper ones ($8- $12) in pet shops and some supermarkets. They do just as good a job, but need replacing much sooner than an Oster or similar.

If for some reason there is a really stubborn matt, then cutting it out with a bladed matt removing comb will save save coat and not make the result look like he's fought with a lawn mover. There are DIY videos showing how to use the things, but if he is being raked regularly, you won't really need this. (I just googled for a clear picture not recommending this particular site or anything. Large pet stores stock these.)

And finally, get yourself a dog comb. A decent stainless steel one. smile.gif