Parvovirus

I have a pregnant bitch who's vaccination was due a month or so before I mated her. On vets advice I was going to wait until pups had left for their new homes before getting her vaccination done. I have just received an email regarding a parvovirus out break in our area and am now concerned for mum and in born pups. We live on a 2000 acre farm and have never had parvo on the property. Any advise on the risk of vaccinating a pregnant bitch or any prevent ions I can take?

I've gotten mixed responses from asking vets about this (with killed vacs). One side says, vaccinate. Even if the bitch is protected, the jabs will up the maternal antibodies and protect the litter. Other side says you don't want to up the maternal antibodies because it will goof up the puppies' vaccination schedule.

I've gotten mixed responses from asking vets about this (with killed vacs). One side says, vaccinate. Even if the bitch is protected, the jabs will up the maternal antibodies and protect the litter. Other side says you don't want to up the maternal antibodies because it will goof up the puppies' vaccination schedule.

If she had a booster after she was 12 months old then her current anti bodies should be sufficient to protect the pups until they get their vaccinations.If she were not pregnant would you be so worried about her getting Parvo ? There is no reason why you should be more worried about her contracting it because she is pregnant than you would have been if she were not and Where the greatest danger is seen is when the mothers antibodies are High and last longer than the vaccination date - so you see puppies after they have had a vaccination at 6 or 7 weeks which develop parvo because the anti body has still been high and knocked the injection out. Approx 28% of vaccinated puppies still get parvo and 40% of puppies that die after they are infected are already vaccinated. Parvo is everywhere - dont think that because you live in the boonies and you have never seen it that you are protected .The virus is so small it can be transported by the obvious, tyres, shoes clothing etc but it can also arrive via wind and rain . Foxes and dingoes get parvo too.

So you can give a killed vaccine - parvac - to your girl and it supposedly wont hurt the developing puppies or the bitch but it does cause a high spike in antibodies which is exactly what will create a bigger problem for you with trying to ensure vaccination of your puppies will be done at the right time to protect them.

If this were my dog I would relax and do nothing.

Vaccination is dangerous for foetuses. There is vast evidence that 3 yearly vaccines are the most effective preventative. Do nothing, she is covered.

Check the AVA Vaccination recommendation and print out a copy for your vet who is way behind the times

Good luck with your pups.