Pyometra.. Advice Please!

Hi everyone,

I really need some advice from anyone who has gone through this with their dog or knows anything about it. My dog was ill on Tuesday night, I took her to the emergency vet at 10pm. The vet said she had closed pyometra and needed surgery immediately ( $6000 ). With a struggle to sort out funds as my partner told me to put her down I got it done right then and there. Unfortunately it had ruptured and was leaking through her stomach. She was cleaned out with 20 litres of saline which was the most the vet said he has ever had to use. Since then I have been quoted $1000 per night and she has been in for 3 nights. Day one was her resting unable to move and eat and she had 2 drainage lines in her, a drip and pain relief through another tube. Day 2 she stood up and came over to me ( took about 3 steps) and lay her head down. Still no food, bloods were okay but regurgitating kept happening. Today is day 3, she can move around,still draining about 250mls per day through the drainage lines. Ate maybe one teaspoon of chicken. Keeps regurgitating still which the doc said is bad. I'm running out of funds and I'm so scared. Can anyone tell me of any stories of surgery after closed pyometra or any advice on what I can do to help her or even how long it took your dog to get better. I'm clutching at straws and I'm so scared. Thank you xxxx

post-45963-0-00194000-1459508114_thumb.jpg

post-45963-0-01033800-1459508131_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry for you and your lovely dog. I went through this last week with a friend although her dog had an open Pyro. The dog after a rather shaky start has now returned home.

I think this may serve as a warning to all those that have entire but non breeding bitches to think about having them de sexed as soon as possible, so, as to not have to go through all this with them. It is very costly and dreadful experience for the dog let alone in many cases may be fatal.

So sorry for you and your lovely dog. I went through this last week with a friend although her dog had an open Pyro. The dog after a rather shaky start has now returned home.

I think this may serve as a warning to all those that have entire but non breeding bitches to think about having them de sexed as soon as possible, so, as to not have to go through all this with them. It is very costly and dreadful experience for the dog let alone in many cases may be fatal.

...do some reading first - you may trade one disease for another, and bone cancer, hypothyroidism, hemangiosarcoma (5 times higher risk!!!) etc. etc. is not a pleasant experience either.

Gosh that sounds so terrible Latoya :( I wish her a full recovery.

When my dog was spayed at 15 months the vet found she had the beginnings of Pyo. She was in the midst of phantom pregnancy and it was just so luck that she had been booked in to be spayed when she was.

...do some reading first - you may trade one disease for another, and bone cancer, hypothyroidism, hemangiosarcoma (5 times higher risk!!!) etc. etc. is not a pleasant experience either.

Yes what would Oakway know? She's just an experienced breeder.

Pyometra has an incidence of 25% before the age of ten years in non-spayed females. While I understand there are reasons to keep bitches entire, 25% is fairly high odds to be playing with especially when you have no intentions of breeding.

Very sorry to hear about your girl. I have no experience with Pyo to relate but all I can suggest for funds is that at least one credit company offers loans for vet bills. Your vet may know who that is.

Best wishes for a quick and full recovery.

Willem I thought your comment was unhelpful at best.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

@ raineth: as I said, do some reading first...the likelihood of Pyometra increases with the age of the bitch - show me / us some evidence that the 25% is the figure for bitches lets say till 5 years old - I don't believe that there is any study out there that would verify this figure for younger females. Hence stating to spay bitches ASAP to avoid health issues won't stand any scientific evaluation - Hemangiosarcoma is one of the most common cancers in dogs and by early spaying the risk is 5x higher (for females) compared to an entire dog - and there is no cure for Hemangiosarcoma while the chances in case of Pyometra are not so bad.

Everyone to its own - but I will contemplate about spaying our dog when she is 5-6 years old.

Edited by Willem

No personal experience with this.

Can she moved to a different vets now? Or does she still need 24/7 care? Maybe give your normal vet a call.

Goodluck with her and I hope she gets better soon.

quote:

(ii) Closed-cervix pyometra

The availability of antiprogestin-based drugs has completely changed the clinical approach to a problem whose only solution for the last decades has been ovariohysterectomy. The administration of aglepristone during diestrus in the bitch will cause opening of the cervical os with consequent emptying of the uterine content. Following treatment with a dose of 10 mg/kg aglepristone administered on days 1, 2 and 8 in 15 bitches with closed pyometra, opening of the cervix was reported to occur after 26±13 hours in all treated animals. Although the success rate in closed cervix pyometra following 3 administrations of aglepristone alone is reported to be around 20%, a follow-up treatment of the same dosage of the antiprogestin at day 14 and 28 associated to a prostaglandin treatment once the purulent vulvar discharge becomes evident has risen the success rate to 90%. Antiprogestins can be used to avoid recurrence of pyometra at subsequent cycles should the owner decide not to breed the bitch immediately. Bitches with a closed cervix pyometra and with liver or kidney insufficiency are not considered good candidates for a medical treatment with aglepristone.

from http://www.poulvet.com/dog/articles/pyometra_article.php. Note the limited suitability for dogs with liver or kidney insufficiency.

Note also that the repeated use of aglepristone has been associated with development of pyometra: http://www.vetbook.org/wiki/dog/index.php/Aglepristone

http://www.blendivet.de/PDFs/Pyometra.pdf...shows success rates regarding the use of aglepristone from various studies.

Note the OP was posting about Open Pyo.

...see 3rd link, e.g. 'Supportive Therapie' ....and the stats include open pyometra too.

ETA:..and of course the section wrt 'open pyometra' in the first link.

Edited by Willem

Note the OP was posting about Open Pyo.

...see 3rd link, e.g. 'Supportive Therapie' ....and the stats include open pyometra too.

Pleaae start another thread to discuss this. The OP is looking for immediate support and advice.

Yes.

The poor owner is distraught and is just asking for some support , some empathy , and some hope - .