Meet Odie

westiemum

Hi All,

Troy hope this is OK to post here. smile.gif

post-11746-0-77775900-1459685682_thumb.jpg

Meet Odie who is a beautiful big boy, just over ten months old, who's owners have made the heart-breaking decision that they can't provide what he needs and need to find him a new home. They have had him since 8 weeks of age. I'm a family friend and offered to help them through the process and to help them avoid the pitfalls.

Please no judgements - I've done some preliminary background info work with Odie's Mum and they have done an incredible amount of work to try to make this work but just can't - and they genuinely want the best for him. Odie's Mum physically can't manage him even with training - he's simply grown too big now for her (they are the same weight) and she feels they are letting him down by not providing the quality of life he deserves.

The training they have completed with him includes puppy, juvenile and advanced training and recent 2 weeks of intensive 'in-kennel' training. He is currently working on loose lead walking with his trainer.

He is predominantly Bullmastiff with some Boxer and English bulldog - so big dog breeds with big strong personalities. He is an inside/outside dog, sleeps inside, is completely house-trained and will be desexed in 2 weeks time. He is healthy, loves children and other dogs. He is very patient with the families 5 year old but can forget his size and be too rough when playing.

Now before someone jumps in, while this family love Odie they now realise in hindsight that their big dog choice was probably not the best for their circumstances and are doing their best to find Odie a suitable forever home - someone who can pack lead Odie and continue his training. Odie's breeder is also looking out for a home for him as well. They will keep him until they find him the perfect home.

Odie is located on the Gold Coast but I'm sure could be re-located for the right home after the usual home checks.

DOLers this is where you come in. Is there anyone who would like to offer Odie a forever home, know of someone suitable or a rescue service who is able to help? Possibly one on the Gold Coast who might be willing to list him on Pet Rescue?? My initial thoughts are that he should go to an experienced 'big dog' home but I would love the advice of DOLers with 'big dog' experience.

If anyone is interested/ able to help if you PM me I'll send you the brilliant detailed info Odie's Mum sent me today then we can go from there. Odie's family is willing to give him to his forever family. (Yes I've warned them not to advertise him as FTGH) and yes they are sure this is what they want for Odie.

TIA everyone. smile.gif Open to other thoughts and advice. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

Thanks Thistle - while strictly speaking not a working breed, I think Odie would do very well if he 'had a job'. My impression is that he would be great with an experienced owner who could lead him amped train him to the next level - if you get my drift. smile.gif

Sorry I meant I know someone looking for a dog, not that the dog would be hunting :) they recently lost their dally and grey within a few months of each other :( from what I've seen they are pretty dog savvy

Edit. The people I mentioned will discuss it :)

Edited by Thistle the dog

Perhaps they could have a chat with Big Dog Rescue near Lake Macquarie. Assuming that Odie has already been desexed, if they are willing to act as foster carers then possibly Big Dog would list him on PetRescue? Can't hurt to ask.

How tall is he now and how much does he weigh?

Might be helpful info.

Petrescue has a helpful rehome your dog advice in their library...

You've already been through the "do we have to" and the desex (scheduled)

But there's also some ideas on where to advertise, how to prepare an ad, and how to select a good home. And what to do when you hand over (reminder to update details and transfer microchip details)

I always think it would be a good idea to ask if the local vet will let you put up an ad there.

https://www.petrescue.com.au/library/articles/help-i-need-to-rehome-my-pet

Hi all,

IPad about to go flat so I'll be quick - thank you all - some great ideas - RPug that was exactly my thinking - that a rescue service might be willing to list him on PetRescue - but might see if The people Thistle talked to are interested first - that way no-one goes to any unnecessary trouble. Thanks Mrs RB - the local vet idea is a good one - we rehomed our most difficult Westie that way. And it was a great success. smile.gif

I'll log on again late tonight after I get home. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

You may find a rescue up there who is OK to list him.

It can be problematic if they don't know the dog so someone really local who wants to meet him and work with you guys in rehoming would be perfect. :) Sort out things like who the dog belongs to, who is responsible for an accident and who takes the dog back in a few years if he needs to be returned. He sounds lovely for the right home.

If they want to do private rehoming after desexing you are welcome to cut&paste our adoption application if that helps. :o

Thanks Thistle, if they change their mind and would like to trial Odie I'm sure that could be arranged.

And thanks Powerlegs - good prompts. In this case which isn't a 'complete' surrender then I suspect until formal ownership changes hands then the current owners will retain all responsibility for him with a rescue service simply helping list him and find him a home. Thanks for the offer of your forms - I'm not sure where mine are (last used last September).

Any Gold Coast/Brisbane rescue services out there who might be willing to help Odie and his family? it would be terrific to find them some local help. They will retain responsibility for Odie so wouldn't be a drain on precious rescue resources. Anyone? smile.gif

Thanks Thistle, if they change their mind and would like to trial Odie I'm sure that could be arranged.

And thanks Powerlegs - good prompts. In this case which isn't a 'complete' surrender then I suspect until formal ownership changes hands then the current owners will retain all responsibility for him with a rescue service simply helping list him and find him a home. Thanks for the offer of your forms - I'm not sure where mine are (last used last September).

Any Gold Coast/Brisbane rescue services out there who might be willing to help Odie and his family? it would be terrific to find them some local help. They will retain responsibility for Odie so wouldn't be a drain on precious rescue resources. Anyone? smile.gif

Deathrow unchained may I've done some grooming for their rescues in the past, lovely people :)

they are in the brisbane/goldcoast area. Send them a message.

Thanks denali - I've just googled and can only find an FB page. Is there a way I can email or phone them instead? (I'm an absolute FB newbie and don't want it to be 'public'!).

Thanks tons. embarrass.gif

Because the name looked familiar to me, I searched for them on my FB page. They don’t seem to be a closed group as I clicked on the underlined and coloured words that said “Very responsive to questions” and sent a message that way. It seemed to go through, so maybe try that.

I only have the fostering email, which is foster.deathrowunchained "at" gmail.com

It may be quicker to try through the facebook, but either way i hope they can help :)

Edited by denali