What To Feed Now?

Stitch

My 14yo has had IBD/IBS problems for years now and I have previously fed her on just about every dog food brand that was on the market trying to find one that doesn't aggravate her condition. I have even cooked up kangaroo mince (novel protein) for some considerable time only to find that she developed problems from that too.

She has been on Hills I/D cans and Hills Z/D dry for about 2 years now. She tolerated it quite well but occasionally still gets bouts of IBD which I manage. I have a permanent supply of Metrozine and Amoxyclav on hand so I can treat her immediately problems occur but Hills dog food seemed to be the best fit I was going to get for her.

Unfortunately for the past 2 weeks she has been getting increasingly itchy. I have seen this problem before when I was feeding her Royal Canin Hypoallergenic dry....she was OK on it for about 6 months until the itching started. Once I changed her onto Hills Z/D which is their hypoallergenic variety the itching stopped. Now she is obviously developing problems with Hills.

Is there anything new on the market ie miracle food, that I can feed that not only helps with the IBD but also isn't hydrolysed. Both RC and Hills have the protein source hydrolysed so it isn't supposed to cause allergies however it seems like it is not going to be suitable for her long term.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

L/D has quite different ingredients in it, you could check the ingredients of that for possible issues. K/D dry is quite similar to L/D dry. Royal Canin's hepatic food also has different ingredients. All these are pretty much vego.

Very left of centre but you could check out the fodmaps diet for humans and try and develop a homemade diet based on that?

Other protein sources could be cottage cheese, eggs, fish

It's difficult when you don't 100% know what protein source is definitely not suitable.

I know chicken has been blamed by the vets as has all the usual proteins that go into dogfood which is why kangaroo was recommended.

I was giving her eggs but that definitely made her sick....but not at first.

Seems like it has to build up in her system before trouble starts.

The issue is that IBD/S is treated one way and food allergies are treated another way.

She has the double whammy of having both problems.

Currently I have stopped the Z/D dryfood and she is just having I/D cans.

The irony of having to feed canned dogfood when I have striven over the years to only feed BARF to all my dogs is not lost on me!!

Have you tried giving her a different food every day? I can trick my allergies a bit if I rotate things around. I find things go badly when I start eating too much of one thing. So I can eat bread for one meal but if I then had pasta for dinner things might get ugly. I have IBS & allergies. Might work if things are ok for her at first but are then making her sick.

Hmmm, that will take a bit of planning.

I have gotten in the mindset of trying not to upset her IBD which holds me back from taking risks of feeding different foods.

If she has a varied diet I won't know what causes her a problem if she gets sick....and that can happen very quickly with terrible results.

She can't have oil or fat in her diet. Vets say all the usual suspects of protein are out.

I just don't know where to start!

Well FPAudrey I have just gone and bought the Prime 100 Crocodile and given a small amount to my girl.

Luckily I was able to source it locally.

The Prime 100 rep said not to change over gradually but to start feeding it straight away so I have.

Of course my old girl who has been desperate to eat anything else than Hills I/D cans gobbled the crocodile up in about 3 seconds.

Now, the waiting game to see how it effects her! I really hope it is OK. :pray:

Yes it is difficult.

I know the signs now after all the years and products I have tried.

Stomach growly sounds are my early warning to get out the Metrozine!

It would be so wonderful to find a food that is a perfect fit for her.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Stitch

Have you asked about new Apoquel? We've just started an allergic dog on it and her itching is completely gone. If it works on your girl's skin, you may just have her tummy to worry about?

The worst dog I had (still have) with shocking allergies and dreadful digestion; passing blood and feeling crap. Eventually started on Cyclosporine for his skin so at least one problem was taken care of. Weirdly, it also fixed his IBD/IBS. :shrug: I tried googling exactly why but it's all veterinary studies and far too complicated lol.

Anyway, fast fwd and he's a happy 14yr old at perfect weight, no itchies and can eat normal food.

Zero advice on diet; I threw out that many bags of food and wasted months on exclusion diets that just didn't work or made him feel worse.

I hope your new one is a winner. :)

I will make a note of those two medications Powerlegs just in case something goes wrong with this new food.

What concerns me about a new dog food brand is that I will be depending on a food manufacturer that may or may not succeed in business.

However from what I have seen of the crocodile & tapioca roll it looks like a quality product...lovely and clean colour with a great smell....so let's hope it becomes popular and stays on the market.

It has the paws up from my old girl who polished it off in very quick time....could definitely be compared to a vacuum cleaner really.

She must be feeling like she has been let out of prison!!

Prime has been around for a while and is in a lot of stores so I don't think it's going to fold if that's your worry.

Another option is a frozen barf brand rabbit meat perhaps? I'm sure you've that though.

It's so upsetting and frustrating to see them uncomfortable

That's good to hear about Prime 100 having been around for a while.

Mackiemad I have always fed BARF to all my dogs, still do for my others but dogs with IBD can't/shouldn't have bones and BARF has crushed bones in it.

Bones = Marrow = Fat...a big no-no for my old girl.

So far ie. three servings of Crocodile and no disasters yet.

The tummy was a bit growly last night but nothing more

The good news....she has pretty much stopped itching! Yep, that quick....amazing!

No problem identifying what was causing the itching in her case.

So hope new food continues to be OK :pray:

Stitch i have a 3 year old dog with IBD. He has had it for several years now, his main symptom is chronic loose sloppy poos and poor appetite. Pretty well controlled with Royal Canin Hypoallergenic but he HATED eating this food. While his poops were good I always struggled to get him to eat enough and keep enough weight on him.

I 'discovered' the Prime100 range couple of months ago when it came through my facebook page and started him on the Crocodile one. He has been fantastic on this! He absolutely loves eating it, to the point that I have been using it for training. He has put weight on and poos are great.

I did transition him over very slowly - took me a full month to get him completely off RC and on this food but he has been on it 100% for several months now :thumbsup:

It appears to be a very good company, all Australian sourced and owned. Once I have used up current food supplies I want to change my other dog to their cooked roll as I love the ingredients and quality.

It is getting very popular as Vets are recommending it to clients (lots of allergic dogs these days) so I wouldn't worry about them going out of business. Several times I have gone to buy some from Petstock and they have run out :eek: . So I make sure I keep ahead of my supply so I don't run out.

I does worry me a little as Croc is such an 'exotic' meat, whether there is any seasonal supply problem that could happen, lets hope not ! I don't think I will ever get my dog to go back to eating dry food again :D

My 14yo has had IBD/IBS problems for years now and I have previously fed her on just about every dog food brand that was on the market trying to find one that doesn't aggravate her condition. I have even cooked up kangaroo mince (novel protein) for some considerable time only to find that she developed problems from that too.

She has been on Hills I/D cans and Hills Z/D dry for about 2 years now. She tolerated it quite well but occasionally still gets bouts of IBD which I manage. I have a permanent supply of Metrozine and Amoxyclav on hand so I can treat her immediately problems occur but Hills dog food seemed to be the best fit I was going to get for her.

Unfortunately for the past 2 weeks she has been getting increasingly itchy. I have seen this problem before when I was feeding her Royal Canin Hypoallergenic dry....she was OK on it for about 6 months until the itching started. Once I changed her onto Hills Z/D which is their hypoallergenic variety the itching stopped. Now she is obviously developing problems with Hills.

Is there anything new on the market ie miracle food, that I can feed that not only helps with the IBD but also isn't hydrolysed. Both RC and Hills have the protein source hydrolysed so it isn't supposed to cause allergies however it seems like it is not going to be suitable for her long term.

Gee your dog sounds like my Patch he has IBD & Skin Allergies, we have the Metronidazole & Amoxcillin in the cupboard but haven't needed to use since I rotate Patches kibbles....We have tried all the kibbles, Vet Diets & Premium kibbles...with the Vet diets some fixed his bowel/stomach but his skin itched & was real smelly of yeast cause of ingredients & the carbs were to high....the best kibbles for Patch have been "Taste Of The Wild" Pacific Stream Smoked Salmon, the only grain free kibble in Australia that has NO PEAS & NO GARBANZO BEANS & TOTW Sierra Mountain Roasted Lamb.....then "Meals For Mutts" Salmon & Sardine Brown Rice & Veggies the fat % is 10% then there's a MfM Salmon & Sardine Grain free but the fat is too high at 18%..... if your dog does better on a high fiber diet (Patch doesn't he needs 4% & under for his fiber or he gets bad acid reflux) try MfM Turkey & Lamb Lite.... MfM is gluten, Dairy & Sugar free & was made for dogs with skin & Stomach problems http://www.mealsformutts.com.au/index.html if you have any health questions email Bill MfM's Vet Nutritionist he recommended the Salmon & Sardine & Brown Rice & the Kangaroo & Lamb Brown Rice for Patches IBD..... I also have to rotate Patches Kibbles before his immune system starts reacting to the kibble, I just bought a small bag of "Canidae" Pure Land today & its a premium limited ingredient kibble smells & looks so fresh, Canidae has 4 new limited ingredient grain free Pure Formulas that will be coming Australia in June, I want to try the new "Pure Meadow" its for seniors with stomach & skin problems & the fat is 10% .... at the moment Patch is eating TOTW Sierra Mountain Roasted Lamb & he is itch free, poos are nice & firm & small, a lot of dogs with skin problems, EPI & IBD do really well on Taste Of The Wild kibbles & Meals For Mutts... This link is Nutragold grain Free Kibble, if you scroll down the bottom right side click on email link & ask can you have some samples of TOTW & NutraGold kibbles TOTW & NutraGold is imported by Arnhem pet products Pty Ltd.. have you tried the VIP Natural Goodness grain free Wet Tin Foods in the Supermarkets, VIP wet tin smells & looks the same as Black Hawk wet tin grain free wet tin food....

http://www.nutragold.com.au/

Edited by sueang

Well FPAudrey I have just gone and bought the Prime 100 Crocodile and given a small amount to my girl.

Luckily I was able to source it locally.

The Prime 100 rep said not to change over gradually but to start feeding it straight away so I have.

Of course my old girl who has been desperate to eat anything else than Hills I/D cans gobbled the crocodile up in about 3 seconds.

Now, the waiting game to see how it effects her! I really hope it is OK. :pray:

Just be careful with the Prime SKD rolls, they have fine SHARP bone thru out the whole rolls. Cut some roll & feel the cut piece of roll, I was picking out as much bone as I could, it took me about 30mins, while Patch was watching & slobbering on the floor... Patch tried the Kangaroo & Potato & the Crocodile & Tapioca... I have told Prime on their F/B page about the bone & they said to ring a mobile number, I didn't bother, my freezer now has cut up kangaroo & crocodile roll in plastic bags.....made Patch do sloppy poos & have rumbling/grumbling bowel noises, I'd say from the bone.....Don't forget the fat needs converting on any wet tin foods & Rolls & Raw... Hills has already converted the fat % on all their wet tin foods, the prime kangaroo is 3% fat when converted that's around 11% fat, DM the Crocodile is 6% fat when converted that's around 25% fat.....DM = Dry Matter

Edited by sueang

Thanks for your feedback Sueang, I noticed the little pieces of bone in the crocodile but so far my girl hasn't reacted to them. I will have to hope that it continues this way as I really don't have an alternative at this stage. Probably picking the bits of bone out isn't really an option as the fats from the bone would have been absorbed into the meat. I was thinking that I may have to buy a few rolls at a time, cut them up into portions and then freeze them, in case the shop runs out at any time.

My girl started to get IBD at an early age so I have had many years of trying to find a dry dogfood she could cope with. Probably most dry dogfoods are OK for most dogs but not my old girl but I take on board what you have found with TOTW and also the rotation. It is a good idea and I will definitely follow up on that.

Not good news this morning...rumbly tummy and mucus poos so back on metrozine and probably back to the vet.

I don't know what I am going to do now!

Did you read my post the SKD rolls have BONE please try "Meals For Mutts" I put up their site's link, MfM kibble is Hypoallergenic Gluten dairy & sugar free order the Salmon & Sardine Brown Rice & Veggies or the Kangaroo & Lamb Brown Rice Veggies doesn't mean cause your dog reacted to raw Kangaroo he'll react to the Kangaroo in a kibble its been broken down in a kibble...find a pet shop on the Stock list & get a 2.5kg bag its silver & blue or silver & red if it doesnt work then MfM is money back or Try the Canidae Pure wet tin or their Pure Kibble

Edited by sueang