Odd New Behaviour In Rough Collie

Well it's been a long time since I last visited this forum - had things to do, dogs to walk etc. However am now back as if anyone can offer me an idea on what the heck is going on with my Rough Collie it's the DOL forumites.

My collie is 10 years old and has, just lately, decided the kitter litter tray is the perfect place for him. It's a large tray (actually an underbed storage container - the cat is a Maine Coon). Why he goes in there I have no idea, but it's driving me nuts as when he gets up he tracks litter all through the house.

Any idea why suddenly a 10 year old dog would decided the litter tray is the place to be? Also, any tips on how to stop him?

post-7882-0-91188600-1462780822_thumb.jpg

it seems his current beds , or more likely their position are not what he wants/needs.

What happens if you (temporarily) move the tray, and put a bed there ? That way you may find out if he needs/wants a cosy corner/protected space ..or if it's the feel/smell of the litter he is searching for .

has he had a vet check lately?

Can you put a baby gate across the door way?

Not really, as my single toilet is also off the laundry - don't want to have to step over a baby gate every time I go to the loo :(

Get one with a gate that opens so you don't have to step over it.

Yes, I have one of these across the laundry door - easy to use, a small cat door to allow them easy access and keeps the dogs from...well....snacking.

As to why...no idea. What sort of bed options does he have now? Has he had a recent vet check? Sudden changes in behaviour can often indicate something physical going on.

Apart from the fact that it's a kitty litter tray, it looks like it could be a nice place for an older dog to rest. The tray is kind of like a bed in a way, and look how it's tucked away in the corner there, seemingly away from all the goings on in the house. It might also be cool if he's feeling hot.

Would he like his very own bed in a similar situation, a little nook away from it all, but with a more suitable filling? You could positively reinforce him using the bed, by giving him his treats or toys there instead? Perhaps an always open, never locked crate?

Not really, as my single toilet is also off the laundry - don't want to have to step over a baby gate every time I go to the loo :(

Yes, I have one of these across the laundry door - easy to use, a small cat door to allow them easy access and keeps the dogs from...well....snacking.

As to why...no idea. What sort of bed options does he have now? Has he had a recent vet check? Sudden changes in behaviour can often indicate something physical going on.

I have never seen a baby gate with a cat window. In my last house I used the side of a cot with one rail removed so the cat could get thru without jumping (did I mention he's a big cat? LOL).

He usually sleeps on his bed in my room - or when I am at work on my bed or flat mates bed.

I wonder if it is a nervous behaviour as this started on Greek Easter (I live down the road from a huge Greek Othrodox church) - and I know also sometimes fireworks is used though we didn't ear it (and it is discouraged by the Church). But that being said he did do this behaviour once before on a particularly hot day in summer back in Jan - despite ambient temp in other rooms being cooler because of aircon, at the time I though maybe he found lying on the litter cooler. But that does not match up with him doing it now when weather is much colder.

Edited by KismetKat

it seems his current beds , or more likely their position are not what he wants/needs.

What happens if you (temporarily) move the tray, and put a bed there ? That way you may find out if he needs/wants a cosy corner/protected space ..or if it's the feel/smell of the litter he is searching for .

has he had a vet check lately?

I can't put the tray anywhere else as this house is all carpet.

But given me post just before this I think you might be on the money with cosy space.

I have never seen a baby gate with a cat window. In my last house I used the side of a cot with one rail removed so the cat could get thru without jumping (did I mention he's a big cat? LOL).

He usually sleeps on his bed in my room - or when I am at work on my bed or flat mates bed.

I wonder if it is a nervous behaviour as this started on Greek Easter (I live down the road from a huge Greek Othrodox church) - and I know also sometimes fireworks is used though we didn't ear it (and it is discouraged by the Church). But that being said he did do this behaviour once before on a particularly hot day in summer back in Jan - despite ambient temp in other rooms being cooler because of aircon, at the time I though maybe he found lying on the litter cooler. But that does not match up with him doing it now when weather is much colder.

I've got so many funny pics of my 26kg Dally curled up on a cat bed :laugh: He really does have bed preferences. I have a feeling the baby gates were from Deals Direct or Crazy Sales. I've had to cable tie them half shut as one of my Springers (16kg!!!!) went straight through. She's a determined little devil lol

Pets can find odd nesting places - I would be in a hurry to keep your dog away from this one not just because he tracks litter everywhere but in case your cat decides it is too much trouble to move the dog and chooses to use your wardrobe or somewhere as a litter tray instead ---- ewwww.sick2.gif

Many of the purpose built pet gates with cat flaps would be too small for your Maine Coon - so shop for a baby gate with pet door as these are generally designed for dogs up to Cavalier size which should work for your cat.smile.gif

Something like this LOL (fail as a baby gate)

post-21294-0-91899900-1462808993_thumb.jpg

I don't think its anything to do with the cat litter, more a space to feel safe. I reckon you will be wasting your time trying to section it off and make him anxious. I would look at ways to make that his spot.

Ok - so the house has carpet . if you use one or more of these - there will be no problem , as they are VERY absorbent , and easily washed/dried . I have a litter tray sitting on one - and use them almost everyday for lining beds /crates/ in case of accidents ...

Conni Critter pads

Edited by persephone

I don't think its anything to do with the cat litter, more a space to feel safe. I reckon you will be wasting your time trying to section it off and make him anxious. I would look at ways to make that his spot.

Or to give him a spot with similar features. It's pretty clear to me that he wants a comfortable, cosy hideaway. Which is particularly understandable for an elder, especially if the house is otherwise disturbing with kids running around or something. I'm glad you're looking into this, KismetKat. I'd prioritize that before getting the baby gate. I think it's important to give him somewhere to go before cutting off his source of comfort. :(

A vet check wouldn't go astray either. Dogs can hide out if they aren't feeling well.

Or to give him a spot with similar features. It's pretty clear to me that he wants a comfortable, cosy hideaway. Which is particularly understandable for an elder, especially if the house is otherwise disturbing with kids running around or something. I'm glad you're looking into this, KismetKat. I'd prioritize that before getting the baby gate. I think it's important to give him somewhere to go before cutting off his source of comfort. :(

A vet check wouldn't go astray either. Dogs can hide out if they aren't feeling well.

Yep - I think I agree here. Where does he usually sleep? What's changed that makes this the new place to be? Scottie was climbing up behind the TV and the Toilet (pulling out the TV plug and moving the loo rolls) for a long time before we cottoned on it was the beginnings of lots of anxiety based behaviors - bought on by feral neighbours having drug fueled domestics during the day. Not sure what we'd have done but also wish we'd realised sooner.

Guest crazydoglady99

I don't have any advice.. but holy moly he's cute curled up in there!!

Ok - so the house has carpet . if you use one or more of these - there will be no problem , as they are VERY absorbent , and easily washed/dried . I have a litter tray sitting on one - and use them almost everyday for lining beds /crates/ in case of accidents ...

Conni Critter pads

Keep in mind how big this tray is, the only other space with enough room (it's a small house) would be the dining area - somewhere I don't want a littler tray. Also the cat tends to throw the stuff around himself (little bugger). But thanks for the though.

@OP: did you change the cat food recently?...cat poo can be very attractive to dogs and a change in the cat's diet or change in the metabolism (e.g. due to age or medical condition) might make the cat poo (and the places where it can be found) even more attractive...

Probably just a phase. :)

Definitely a vet check to see if anything is amiss or a bit creaky. Dogs can creep off into a safe spot if they feel a bit average or put off by things like visitors.

Anyway assuming it's just that he likes it there for comfort ( trying to describe this properly); the litter would be moulded to his body and able to move around when he shifts position. He may just like the feel of it. Maybe see if an orthopaedic bed with soft edges rather than completely flat would work? Maybe even with a heat pad? ;)