Dog Off Leash Vs Dogs On Leash

kelp

question for the OP: I guess I wrongly assumed that the incident happend in an area that was officially declared as an off-leash area by authorities? ...my reason for asking is: IMO it makes a big difference whether owners walking their dog(s) get hassled by other dogs in an on-leash area or whether it happens in an off-leash area / dog park.

In on-leash areas no dog should be an annoyance for other dogs and owners - hence the leash. In off-leash areas where dogs are allowed to run free there is always a chance that dogs coming from all directions trying to investigate, and different dog sizes, different characters, different interpretations of dogs' body languages by the owners, different obedience levels, different fitness levels (owners and dogs) and different expectations of the owners can lead to incidents, even if every dog is monitored closely by the owners.

In the first post the OP states that it was an sporting oval that is an allowed off-leash area. So it was off-leash but not a closed in dog park.

Exactly JulesP.

That also doesn't mean your dog must be off leash, and in no circumstances should a dog run from far away to greet an on leash dog, IMO.

Even in off leash areas i recall my dogs to me to walk past other dogs- that is effective control.

question for the OP: I guess I wrongly assumed that the incident happend in an area that was officially declared as an off-leash area by authorities? ...my reason for asking is: IMO it makes a big difference whether owners walking their dog(s) get hassled by other dogs in an on-leash area or whether it happens in an off-leash area / dog park.

In on-leash areas no dog should be an annoyance for other dogs and owners - hence the leash. In off-leash areas where dogs are allowed to run free there is always a chance that dogs coming from all directions trying to investigate, and different dog sizes, different characters, different interpretations of dogs' body languages by the owners, different obedience levels, different fitness levels (owners and dogs) and different expectations of the owners can lead to incidents, even if every dog is monitored closely by the owners.

In the first post the OP states that it was an sporting oval that is an allowed off-leash area. So it was off-leash but not a closed in dog park.

Exactly JulesP.

That also doesn't mean your dog must be off leash, and in no circumstances should a dog run from far away to greet an on leash dog, IMO.

Even in off leash areas i recall my dogs to me to walk past other dogs- that is effective control.

I'm not defending the lady with the German shorthair pointer - I would be deeply embarrassed if someone else would have to make me aware that my dog would have become an annoyance. For the sake of dogs the owner of the intimidating dog should have rectified the situation immediately by taking control of her dog. However, while I'm lucky and don't rely on dog parks to give our dog a good run off-leash, for many dog owners dog parks or other off-leash areas are the only option to give the dogs a good run off-leash - and IMO that's a big contribution to their health. The problems start if their are 3,4,5...dogs stampeding and chasing each other and are allowed to do so by their owners, and another owner with other expectations enters the ground.

Maybe a better anticipation of those dodgy situations and a short discussion amongst the owners to find a suitable compromise for everyone could help to minimize those unpleasant experiences.

Last week I had a great dane come barrelling up to me at speed, owner no where in sight. I had my whippets on lead and puppy under one arm but somehow managed to pick up a rock and throw it at the dog. Surprisingly I hit it too, I am usually a lousy shot. It did the trick and the dog backed off.

Why is everyone so worried with reporting to council? At least at the councils Ive been in its been different when I have reported problems and ask if there was some way they could perhaps have a chat to educate the owner compared to the one time I reported an actual dog attack as it would not back off and went my dog until I actually kicked it then continued to yell at it until the woman actually grabbed it before it dashed out of the property again. And the councils have been good - the reported attack well the dog apparently was owned by her son while the second loose dog that stayed in the property was hers but it was a block of units and no actual fenced yard. When I asked that they look into talking to owners well I did notice a random person suddenly turn up at the local park where they let their dogs off lead without any control - and sometime later didnt see the dogs again until I spotted them being walked on lead. The new council I mentioned above and it took a number of visits before they spoke to the other dog owners too and the later council did get back to me. They'd rather just educate people than have to go to the extent of fines or worse as many people have no idea that letting dogs charge at others is a problem.

And OMG Id be reporting someone who took a sick dog with kennel cough to a dog park - not just the direct dog contacts but if it drinks from the water bowl etc etc. We had to delay bringing our current dog home from the rescue as he had contracted kennel cough when being desexed for the rescue and we didnt want to expose our 13yo relatively healthy older dog until he was well and truly declared over it. And yes we use to take both of them to dog parks on the odd occasion - vaccination doesnt cover all KC strains

Edited by rubiton

I assume most people don't understand dog behaviour very well nor do they understand that I don't need their dog barging up to mine. So I generally drive my dogs to the oval - have one out at a time for training (which is generally agility and retrieving or Recallers games so also counts as exercise) and keep an eye on the car park for any new vehicles. Plenty of opportunity to remove my dog as necessary or have a quick chat to the dog owner. I also choose quiet parts of the day if I can and miserable weather is a bonus.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Some places are better than others i think.

the oval i was on tends to be used by dog owners while passing through rather than hanging about, playing with the dog stypw activities so people dont stick around for very long . they dont get to know eachother .

But there are also other ovals near me where regulars meet up at about the same time every single day. the dogs get to know eachother and dont go bonkers when they meet up. I get to know the other dogs too, and know when to leave or stay...

plus it means the owners tend to keep on side with eachother.

SO if you have the same issues with the same dog - once is an accident but if it happens again same dogs with a no care owner people should just avoid the area instead of something being done about that one owner? Better people keep reporting the one owner & dog or one group in particular and have someone have a chat to them than leaving them to it until a dog is attacked and then its 'he said she said' with them saying well its never happened before.

Maybe its because I have bigger dogs and most of the issues were with small dogs so if mine had to ever defend themselves they would be seen as the 'bad guys' simply due to size so I guess I prefer to cover myself and my dogs if the same problems happen with the same out of control dogs

Edited by rubiton

I agree with rubiton. It might be a once off incident for the person reporting, but who's to say others have not reported the dog too? It could be a repeat trouble maker but if nobody reports then nothing will be done about it and nobody who can do anything will know.

Why is everyone so worried with reporting to council?

I report to council when I can identify the dog or the owner (by tag or car rego or I know where they live) but often I can't because the dog doesn't even have a collar on.

When I ring council to report dog without a collar - the ranger does not come and do anything about it. Most incidents at the park happen outside business hours. There might be one ranger on duty if we're lucky and he's usually 20km away picking up a stray dog that someone has managed to catch.

If you can't catch the stray dog - they don't come either - unless police ask them to cos the dog just mauled a human. If it mauls another dog - they don't seem as interested (council or police).

Last time I reported a dog for biting me (as I stopped it from attacking my dog - no serious damage), There were four pages of duplicate paperwork that had to be filled out. The owners didn't even speak English properly (Just watched Fat Duck comes to Oz where one of their staffers had to pass an English test - not sure why people staying here long enough to rent a house - get to come without enough English to understand their dog is not allowed to attack other dogs or humans).

Anyway - I think they got fined, their dog got declared and it never came back to the park - but the owners of the two little dogs that were mauled on the same day (blood drawn, trips to vets, and stitches) - did not want to report the husky. WTF?

But most of the time - some dog barges up to mine - and it's impossible for me to get their rego if they're not wearing a tag.