Second Dog?

Tor

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry - can't help myself. Saw this on facebook tonight and immediately though of this thread.

Hello DOLers!

I currently have an 8 month old Boxer pup, and in 2 years or so, I'd like to get a second dog. The obvious choice is another Boxer as I adore my boy, but I also thought it might be good to consider smaller, compatible breeds. I want to get startled with my breeder research etc early.

- can run 8 or so km easily

I love Bassett Hounds, but I'm not sure they'd enjoy all the running?

Looks like they like running well enough. :D

13612161_907262079403043_6556671685652579678_n.jpg?oh=1dc6a00f2c1000e9a5ba4a67f6011728&oe=58360E6E

PS - Yes I am having a laugh.

Tor, I had a staffy. He was the friendliest dog. We found a stray boxer one day, and she didn't have a microchip or collar, so I took the pair out walking the next day hoping her owner would be out looking for her. Looking down, the only difference was the boxer was a staffy on stilts :D

My staffy used to do a lot of hiking and jogging. The only issue with him was hot weather as staffies, due to their composition, can be prone to overheating.

Like you, having the perfect dog meant my next dog is a totally different breed as nothing would have measured up to him.

So a lot of research later, I decided on a Westie. He is exactly what I wanted. Absolutely gorgeous in every way. Someone at work was rehoming a nearly 3yo cocker spaniel, so I got her too.

Grooming wise, I do them myself. I wouldn't say it's onerous by a long shot. The cocker is more time as they have such a soft coat.

Weekly they are combed and brushed. Takes less than half an hour to do both and I do it while watching TV.

Every 4-6 weeks they get a full groom. That involves stripping coats with a mars coat king tool, clipping out feet, trimming nails, clipping ears and the cockers head and tidying up the cockers legs. The cocker takes an hour and a half, the westie half hour max.

Edited by karen15

Oh! Didn't see the other replies. I was referring to the hilarious running Bassetts.

And yes, a female Boxer is probably the obvious choice. In a couple of years, one of my boy's sisters may be having pups, the breeder kept two, both of whom are doing very well in the show ring.

I just love so many breeds and life is too short. I am reserving Griffons to be my old lady dog though.

Oh! Didn't see the other replies. I was referring to the hilarious running Bassetts.

And yes, a female Boxer is probably the obvious choice. In a couple of years, one of my boy's sisters may be having pups, the breeder kept two, both of whom are doing very well in the show ring.

I just love so many breeds and life is too short. I am reserving Griffons to be my old lady dog though.

Ha ha - Yes - I think I actually look a lot less graceful when I run. :rofl:

And don't be fooled - we have a girffon (Brussels Griffon) at work - he's a right little horror. Totally adorable but holy moley he can cause a ruckus when he wants to. Naughty little sod - I adore him!

This is me to a T. So many breeds and types and personalities, so little time. :laugh: When I am old I will have a pack of equally old mutts i reckon :laugh:

Tor I have had six boxers over my lifetime. Now that I am older I did look for a smaller version but it just does not exist. I have two hairy black rescue mutts. :) If you do get a second boxer make it a different colour so that it is different from your boy.

It sounds as if you are doing a great job with your boy if he is well trained at eight months. They are a challenge to train but it is worth it. They are fantastic dogs. Reading this thread has had me thinking that maybe I do have room for just one more, a little red bitch. Oh I wish :D

Thank you Sarspididious. I'm not sure he's well-trained yet exactly, but he's coming along very nicely with DOL advice! I just adore him.

Maybe we do have room for a little brindle girl in a couple of years...my kids think we definitely do, they've already named her Cookie, or possibly Coco ????

If you're okay with lots of shedding and a good brush once or twice a fortnight, a Pembroke Corgi is worth looking in to. My bitch would be exactly what you want (her best friend for a long time was even a boxer).

Also, you mention bull terriers. My friend has a miniature bull terrier and despite so many people saying they don't get along with other dogs, she is a dream with other dogs! Perhaps this is true of the minis but less of the standards?

1468282635[/url]' post='6830458']
1468281536[/url]' post='6830452']
1468281116[/url]' post='6830444']

All the Airedales I know need clipping more than twice a year. Not as often as my schnauzer (6 weeks) but more often that twice yearly

My Airedale only gets shaved about twice a year. However, we don't give him the show coat we just shave him. We will need to trim under his chin more often that that so he doesn't get for stuck in it.

Airedales need to be groomed every 8-10 weeks, they are not low maintenance if you are used to short coats and they do tend to want to chase cats and even small dogs so I would be very careful.

I have three cats and while my Airedale will chase a timid one that runs around the house, it is in play. We had two of them when we got him as a puppy though. It is certainly helpful if you are getting a puppy and your cats are confident. Haven't had a problem with small dogs.

Coat is definitely not low maintenance though, especially this time of the year when all the fallen foliage and flowers get stuck in his hair, but I usually only clip though the warmer months.

Edited by Cat

If you like a boxer and thats what your firs dog is then why not another boxer.

We have a lab and we tried a rescue dog but I dont think they listened to what we exactly needed and we had a dog that was just too dominant over our dog and me so the rescue went back before the end of the trial. Now after being put off rescues (in the past our dogs have been rescues and it has worked) we have decided to get another Lab and look for a puppy. Our dog and us obviously talk 'retriever' so think we will stay with that for the next one.

Even the standard says that Irish Terriers are not that good with other dogs.

http://ankc.org.au/Breed/Detail/47

And Amstaffs along with Staffords and other bull breeds are not always good with other dogs. If the OP states they would like a breed known for getting along with other dogs, I would not choose these.

I grew up with an Irish terrier and my sister had one. It really depends on the individual dog. If I was going to choose one of the Irish breeds that is more likely (though not always) to get along with another dog I'd choose a wheaten. However, a wheaten would not do at all in this situation and honestly, I'd avoid the terrier group altogether.

Why would a Wheaten not do, out of curiosity? I'm not really considering them, but I do really admire them.

Loads and loads of grooming. Wheatens have to be brushed and combed out to the skin generally daily. There's the awful orange fuzzies stage where you spend an hour getting out a mat only to start again five minutes later to find it's matted all over again. Great for bonding with your dog but also great for lots of swearing.