Second Dog?

Tor

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelpies do like the sound of their own voice :laugh:

Also, not all of them appreciate the play style of a Boxer. My younger dog would be OK with a Boxer, but my older Kelpie does not like that sort of play style.

Very good point Kavik. In my experience many herding breeds don't like the boxer play style.

All the Airedales I know need clipping more than twice a year. Not as often as my schnauzer (6 weeks) but more often that twice yearly

My Airedale only gets shaved about twice a year. However, we don't give him the show coat we just shave him. We will need to trim under his chin more often that that so he doesn't get for stuck in it.

All the Airedales I know need clipping more than twice a year. Not as often as my schnauzer (6 weeks) but more often that twice yearly

My Airedale only gets shaved about twice a year. However, we don't give him the show coat we just shave him. We will need to trim under his chin more often that that so he doesn't get for stuck in it.

Airedales need to be groomed every 8-10 weeks, they are not low maintenance if you are used to short coats and they do tend to want to chase cats and even small dogs so I would be very careful.

Terriers are inclined to chase cats so be careful, and i'm not sure a beagle would run, don't they walk with their nose to the ground? I used to walk one, hated it most frustrating walks ever :laugh:

I think a gun dog might be a good fit too, lots to choose from. GSP?

Yeh but lots of dogs do. None of ours ever have. We always taught our dogs cats are above holy & are to not even be looked sideways at...

An Australian cattle dog ,tough energetic and smart;

also the right American staffordshire terrier or something less common an Irish Terrier,less coat than an Airedale but will need some stripping of coat.

also the right American staffordshire terrier or something less common an Irish Terrier,less coat than an Airedale but will need some stripping of coat.

I would not recommend Amstaffs or Irish Terriers as a dog that will get along with other dogs.

I would not recommend Amstaffs or Irish Terriers as a dog that will get along with other dogs.

I would.

Even the standard says that Irish Terriers are not that good with other dogs.

http://ankc.org.au/Breed/Detail/47

And Amstaffs along with Staffords and other bull breeds are not always good with other dogs. If the OP states they would like a breed known for getting along with other dogs, I would not choose these.

Edited by Kavik

Hello DOLers!

I currently have an 8 month old Boxer pup, and in 2 years or so, I'd like to get a second dog. The obvious choice is another Boxer as I adore my boy, but I also thought it might be good to consider smaller, compatible breeds. I want to get startled with my breeder research etc early.

So here are my pretences

-low maintenance coat

-energetic but with an off-switch

-medium size

- good with kids and new situations

- good with other dogs and cats, or can at least be trained to leave cats alone

- can run 8 or so km easily

- tough enough to enjoy Boxer play - my boy is not generally rough though and plays well with dogs of all sizes. He has a tendency to get bossy with very submissive dogs though, but I know that has a lot to do with the individual puppy temperament

We are a family with two kids who will be about 12 and 9. I do obedience with my boy once a week, train every day, he gets 45 - 90min walk/dog park/beach every day. Very much an inside dog and an important member of our family. He LOVES other dogs, but he is still a puppy and I'm not sure how he'll mature. His parents are both very social though. I'm hoping to do some agility later.

I love Bassett Hounds, but I'm not sure they'd enjoy all the running? I love little Griffons, but I think they're too fragile. Fox terrier? I also love dogs that are a bit uncommon, in my area there are lots of Labs, Goldies and BCs, and I love having something recognisable but less common.

Hit me with your suggestions!

Ok first up I don't know near enough about them and they fit more in the small size as I don't think the bigger sizes are in Australia yet (they come in three sizes) but from what I know of them they fit the bits I've bolded above and the rest hopefully the two DOLers I know with them can come answer if they fit the rest or not! Podengo Pequeno

They are little, so have to watch them with boisterous dogs. Kestrel is just over 5kg and is mostly muscle at 9 months old. She is extremely agile and light-footed, but tough enough that when she falls off something, she is not very bothered. She loves to wrestle with my big lapphund, but he is gentler with her than it looks. She is not keen on big dogs she doesn't know bouncing around her, but she will play with any sized dog if they slow up when she does. It will remain to be seen if she will run long distances with me, but I asked around and eventually someone found me a PPP owner overseas that does bikejoring with them. She said they can go 8km with the bike with training. Video evidence suggests they love it and run hard. That was enough to convince me it was a good bet. Kestrel gets itchy legs and definitely likes to run every day, but she is easy at home, and not a problem if she misses out for whatever reason. Once she's had her morning run she is happy to sleep (preferably in my lap or beside me) all day while I work. She likes strangers and dogs and kids in principle, but she likes to meet them on her terms. She will run to strangers and dance around all wriggly and tap her front paws on their hand, which is super cute, but sometimes people then try to reach for her or pat her and she doesn't really like that with people she doesn't know. She takes a little time (a minute if you have food) to fully trust someone, but she is very intimate and affectionate when she does. She is fine with new surroundings. She is still a baby and knows her place, but she will stand up for herself when appropriate to do so. I'm not keen on terrier temperaments, so a great choice for me looking for a small dog with plenty of get-go but without the things I don't like about terriers. There are only small ones in Australia at the moment, but a little bird told me that there might be medios soon. They are a better size for a boxer and running, but more of a hunting dog than the pequeno.

Oh they sound lovely. I will look into them more.

My boy doesn't really do much of the typical feet boxer play, at least not yet. He likes to run mostly and do a bit of bitey face: he sometimes wrestles, but only really with his Goldie friend who basically doesn't run ????.

I really love Amstaffs and Bull Terriers actually, but the getting along with other animals worries me, as well as the health issues for the BTs.

The right Bull Arab or staffy X rescue is also a possibility. I have really loved raising my puppy though and I'd never get a puppy from anyone other than a reputable breeder. Too many unknowns

I love the look of Brittanies and Springers but are they generally quite soft? I like the cheerful toughness of my Boxer.

I have working Springers and they play really well with my Dally - although the youngster is still overwhelmed with respect for him :laugh: My girls are soft and sweet and love to cuddle but are very intense little workers that bubble over with joy and enthusiasm and energy. Need plenty of mental stimulation - running and exercise is great but not sufficient on its own.

The Springers are great dogs..:heart:

The important thing is to find a dog that matches your Boxers play style and energy level otherwise the 2nd dog could become overwhelmed and stressed..

There are heaps of Stafford type mixes in Vic on Pet Rescue, pups and all ages .

I'm not sure I'd be able to provide enough stimulation for a working Springer. We do do some training each day, I take him new places a couple of times a week, training once a week. But realistically, with two kids who I homeschool plus running the household and doing a bit of work - I think I'm at my limit just now.

Basenjis were one of my favourite breeds when I was a dog-breed obsessed primary school kid ????. But I've heard they are really challenging...

Yes I want a great role model well established. Of course, I might have a bit more time in a couple of years for a dog with higher requirements. I am really enjoying training, I'd love to do more. It's a whole new world for me though.

One reason I'm a bit hesitant to just get another Boxer is I love Sebastian SO MUCH, and he has been such a joy overall that I'm worried another wouldn't measure up. I know he's quite different to several of his siblings (big litter, 11, we keep in touch on fb). His breeder said he had the best temperament in the litter:

Oh I should have said, I don't want a one person type dog. My last dog was a little Maltese X rescue and he bonded completely to me and just tolerated the rest of the family. Sebastian loves us all, and adores all the quite physical attention he gets from my daughters and their friends.

Edited by Tor