Where Do You Advertise Your Fosters?

Just wondering where private rescue groups advertise or promote their fosters to generate interest in the individual dogs?

I am working with a newly established (not by me) private rescue group and have had my foster girl for over a month now with no enquiry. She is big and black and has a couple of behaviour issues so understand it could take a long time to find her somewhere but I want to do as much as I can to get her out there and known about.

Everything I've done previously was through RSPCA so there was much wider exposure, and of course the shelter where people were actively looking to adopt.

I'm discussing it with the group as well but just wondered if anyone here has any good suggestions?

Thank you :)

Edited by Simply Grand

Black! The hardest ones to get photos of laugh.gif

We have our website, & PetRescue which refers to the site for the proper profiles. Reluctantly we have FB but a volunteer does that. Get her her own album to keep updating.

I'm loving doing instagram. smile.gif You could even start her own account to catch candid moments and funny things. We'll also use the new rescuedpets.org.au when it eventually starts.

Info you didn't ask for and may be a complete nonsense LOL....

You need really good photos, right into the dog's eyes. Put your rescue's name on each as a bit of branding.

Pics are the very first thing that catches interest especially if you're working with a common 'unremarkable' dog (sorry, I'm not meaning she isn't an un-special unique soul. I'm just assuming by your description that she's a big crossbreed & you really need to make her stand out above all the other big crossbreeds).

A good name, something light and breezy, quirky. And a good writeup that is enthusiastic as well as honest. Not toooo long all at once or people skip to the next dog which is why spreading the info over a few places seems to work well. Catch attention in little chunks and an interested person will look for more.

SG

I read an article (or two?) a few months back about the benefits of having them out and about in daily life with a sign - think an "adopt me!" bandana, jacket, leash sleeve, branded dog walking programs etc (suggest having the rescue name on it somewhere) that lets people know they're up for adoption and reminds ppl that adoption is an option to think about! Then they can also see that dog in person, much better than a photo online I reckon.

For example : every other month I'll be asked if Thistle is up for adoption. I think it's because a) it's only asked when she's in her scared jacket (queue questions on why scared and what we are doing) and b) we usually wear it when in places like pet stores aka adoption hot spots! (And in all fairness to one lady who asked, we were in RSPCA pet place walking about... A logical assumption! ????)

Perhaps between a sign and walking or training the dog in visible places like the stores you can get her out there? That person who asked questions might know someone else looking for a dog...

Thank you guys, excellent ideas, I really appreciate it.

PL we are fortunate to have some pro photographers who voluntarily do photos for us so she has had a photo shoot and got some really good photos - which is a godsend because she is not photogenic and I could not get good ones of her! She definitely looks better in real life.

I do have an Adopt Me collar and I'll be getting a lead too soon but I think I need to get her out and about to more places to get her in front of people, like you say Thistle.

We do have a pretty good FB presence luckily but as we are new the number of followers is still growing, and the number of dogs is growing faster so there's only so much exposure to go around. I like the idea of doing more for her own individual presence on social media so I'll work on that too :D

Oh also she is Pet Rescue of course but like you say, there are so many "large female mix breeds" listed, and at the moment there are lots of Greyhounds in Qld (probably everywhere) and they are probably more front of mind for people wanting to rescue/adopt.

She's one of a kind in her own way :) is there a little stand-out quirk you're unconvering that could be considered favourable? Even one you could blatantly teach her to manipulate the masses with.

i.e teach her to rest her chin on someone's knee when she wants attention? Something cute and likely to be self reinforced like that? Spins? A quick and easy trick future owners could show off (and be inspired to continue her training). i.e. instead of shake teach "high five"

Then you could take quick videos of that and share around with the additional AMAZING DOG UP FOR ADOPTION RIGHT HERE. Also keeping any potential challenges and being upfront with those of course.

Edit: and teach her focus without a command - reward any and all eye contact. increase duration. let people feel special when she sits and stares up at them XD

Pats for pup.

Edited by Thistle the dog

And don't let your rescue group overlook local facebook pet and buy swap sell pages. Share the petrescue profile on those pages and don't forget gumtree. If people only see bad bred dogs on gumtree they will never have any idea that well bred dogs and rescue dogs are also available.

Also word of mouth is amazing. Hang around near school gates at home time with your foster on an "adopt me" leash. Have lots of cards to give out with her picture and petrescue ID. Most home printers today can cope with printing business cards and the blank sheets of cards can be found at Officeworks etc.

Ah, black dogs ... so hard... We just rehomed Jerry and he'd been in care with us for over a year because he had some behavioural issues we had to work through. We took lots of photos of him and switched the photos around quite regularly:

https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/385364

Also did a music video:

I also ran a blog for him.

He had some behavioural issues - while fine with our dogs, he could be cranky with new dogs. It was frustrating because our local dog club wouodln't let us come to class with him even if we stayed at a distance. Fortunately we found a great group class that meets every Sunday in Spence so that he could be surrounded by dogs (at a safe distance) and learn to work around them. He's great around other dogs now when introduced properly. I turned down about 13 applications for him before we found what appears to be (touch wood) the perfect home for him.

Good luck with your doggy! :)

Edited by koalathebear

You can never have too many nice photos... and photos with them doing stuff works well...

The head tilt shot is the "ka-ching" shot... that tends to get a dog more enquiries than any other type... even better if you've affixed a bow to their head and they look completely adorable... *grin*

Dress-ups, a bit of bling, good lighting and no nasty things in the background of the photos (crop the photo if necessary)... and get those gorgeous eyes looking dead down the barrel of the lens.

For example...

This photo will get more enquiries...

post-23772-0-13298400-1472373018_thumb.jpg

... than this one...

post-23772-0-01494400-1472373175_thumb.jpg

... even though both are adorable shots of the same pup... *grin*

T.

And don't forget gumtree. If people only see bad bred dogs on gumtree they will never have any idea that well bred dogs and rescue dogs are also available.

Lots of good ideas in the posts!

Just adding, in the cases where a dog is a specific breed or close mix. Try finding people who are wanting that breed.

I recently googled 'Wanted Tibetan Spaniel'. Up came 2 current ads on Gumtree of people wanting an adult Tibetan Spaniel. From their initial information sounded genuine pet owners. The first had found one. The second was broken hearted because one she'd originally got from a shelter...& loved very much... had passed away a couple of months ago. I put her on to the TS Rescue Australia Facebook page where any current ones (& close mixes) are listed, and also to the TS registered breeders' Mature Dogs section on Dogzonline. Poor lady was in tears saying thank you.

Edited by mita