Upgrade Fees

Shadow1

Hi everyone, my family have recently purchased a purebred Rottweiler puppy. When we bought her the breeder said that we would get her limited register papers when all the litter had been sold.

Our pup will be 14 weeks old tomorrow and we still haven't received her limited register papers. I have checked online and I believe that it can take quite a while especially over Xmas and New Year. The breeder also told us that we could "upgrade " the pup to the mains register before she turns 6 months old at the additional charge of $600. I looked on the Dogs NSW website and the fee to upgrade a pup ( Less than 6 months ) is only $32. Is the breeder allowed to charge me so much extra? We have never owned a purebred before so I'm just checking. Thanks in advance. 

Papers can take awhile. I wouldn't panic about that just yet. Perhaps ask the breeder if she has filed for them yet. I know a lot of breeders that charge more for pups on mains register but this is usually discussed before the purchase of the pup. Are you planning on breeding or showing?

How long it takes to get papers can depend on when they are submitted. I would have thought a breeder would submit them when the pups are about 8 weeks old but many don't for various reasons. I've known breeders not to submit them for months which I think is just plain slack. Then of course the canine association will take as long as they take.

I don't believe there is any rule which precludes a breeder charging whatever they want to for mains register upgrades, however, I do think to charge $600 is unethical. This is one of the reasons breeders get a bad name. As you say the fee is $32 and I'd like to know what the justification for charging

more is. If you have no intention of showing or breeding then there is no benefit in upgrading to mains.

i am wondering if the breeder isn't going to register until 6 months ?

The papers and puppies being sold should shouldn't make a difference as the breeder can transfer the papers once the unsold pups are sold ,so if there planning to register them all on li timited then no big deal .

If there planning to charge that much more for mains papers then I certainly would have wanted the puppy picked for the potential it showed to be a main register pup,

Like mentioned if you aren't planning to show/bred then limited is fine  but $600 is a lot to just say upgrade .

If they had two prices for puppies li tied and mains then it should made well clear before purchase of puppy 

some breeders do charge more for a pup on mains registration but I would be hoping the breeder would be checking the young dog over to see if it is suitable for showing or breeding. If they are just going to swap it over without checking out the dog then IMO they are not much of a breeder. Ring the NSW canine council and ask about your pups papers. Yes there are delays over Christmas but I think most were back by around Jan 10th. Did you get copies of the parents health tests and your pups vaccination card and microchipping paperwork?

Some good advice here, so no need to repeat what others have already said :)

I would ask, though, that you have a read of this topic: 

Please find out if the breeder has, or is, testing the sire and dam for this condition so that you have some idea of the chances of your pup being a carrier (or, heaven forbid, affected).  It's unlikely that the sire and dam were tested before the litter was conceived, as this has really only come to light since the beginning of the year, but there is no reason why they shouldn't be testing now to find out what the status of the sire and dam are.

Also, if you have any intention whatsoever of breeding, then PLEASE test your pup to find out their JLPP status.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Shadow1 said:

Hi everyone, my family have recently purchased a purebred Rottweiler puppy. When we bought her the breeder said that we would get her limited register papers when all the litter had been sold.

Our pup will be 14 weeks old tomorrow and we still haven't received her limited register papers. I have checked online and I believe that it can take quite a while especially over Xmas and New Year. The breeder also told us that we could "upgrade " the pup to the mains register before she turns 6 months old at the additional charge of $600. I looked on the Dogs NSW website and the fee to upgrade a pup ( Less than 6 months ) is only $32. Is the breeder allowed to charge me so much extra? We have never owned a purebred before so I'm just checking. Thanks in advance. 

I would be a little concerned here. Sounds a bit sus to me. It is highly unusual in our breed for an ethical, reputable breeder to sell a puppy on Main Register (or offer an upgrade) to a person who has never owned a pure bred dog before, let alone an unproven show home or not a registered breeder with excellent track record. My guess is this is NOT an NRCA breeder?

If you want to PM the prefix I should be able to shed some light for you :)

As Allerzeit said, ensure you have seen document official Lab proof that both sire and dam are not JLPP Carriers.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes the breeders are NCRA registered breeders and I have spoken to the President of the NSW Rottweiler Club and the Breeders are well known. I also have copies of the Dam and Sires' pedigree papers and their Hip and Elbow Displaysia report , ( both parents are 0 's ). The breeders also said that they would be happy to check our pup over before she turns 6 months if we wanted to upgrade her to the mains register.  And yes, we are planning on becoming registered breeders and showing ( eventually) so we will definitely have our pup tested for JLPP. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Shadow1 said:

Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes the breeders are NCRA registered breeders and I have spoken to the President of the NSW Rottweiler Club and the Breeders are well known. I also have copies of the Dam and Sires' pedigree papers and their Hip and Elbow Displaysia report , ( both parents are 0 's ). The breeders also said that they would be happy to check our pup over before she turns 6 months if we wanted to upgrade her to the mains register.  And yes, we are planning on becoming registered breeders and showing ( eventually) so we will definitely have our pup tested for JLPP. 

That is all excellent news :) Well done on your research.

The upgrade fee the breeder is advising is not relative to the cost of the registration upgrade itself but rather how your breeder feels about you owning, showing and potentially breeding with one of their puppies and how they value this puppy's potential.

It is not uncommon for show/breeding prospects to attract a higher purchase price. There is more pressure, expectation and responsibility placed on the breeder.

Wishing you and your family all the very best in your new venture :)

• Like 1

Maybe they want to wait awhile and check the pup out once she is a bit older to see if she is suitable for mains register as it can be hard to judge an 8 week old pup. This makes sense, however the price should have been discussed before the sale of the pup in my opinion. Also, what happens if the breeder decides your pup isn't show/ breeding quality?

Yes, well it is an unusual way to do it. Usually if the pup is going to a show home, it is sold as a "show potential" "breeding potential".

Everything depends upon your sales agreement with the breeder. When you first contacted them did you explain that you intended to be showing and breeding your puppy?

Everything should be discussed well and truly before you get the puppy. If the breeder decides your puppy is not show worthy or has a DQ fault, then you have a lovely pet on Limited Register, unless you ensured something to the contrary was written into the contract.