Raw V Good quality dry food [emoji848]

I intend to get a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel so I have been doing a bit of research weather to get health insurance ect, one thing I'm a bit confused about is feeding, I have always had cats and they have always had good quality dry food from Pet barn had intended to do the same for my dog when I get her, with the odd bone now I'm not so sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You wil probably get a whole range of answers from kibble is poison to raw is a health risk.

For some weird reason dog food is a diversive subject people get passionate about. 

It is not a bad idea to just get your pup  from a good breeder and follow their advice through puppyhood, or at least  until you feel confident in your choices. Your original idea of a good quality kibble supplemented by fresh meaty bones is fine.

• Like 4

The breeder I bought my dog off recommended Pal kibble with pet mince so not all breeders know best.  I ended up putting her on a commercial made raw, started with vets all natural raw but now feed Big Dog Barf along with healthy extras such as eggs, sardines, Greek yogurt, meaty bones, some ziwipeak air dried raw etc.  

If you are on Facebook check out Planet Paws, some very interesting info on the benefits of raw over kibble, the founder also has his TED talk on there which is very good!

Everyone has their own opinions naturally but I feed my girls fresh food. Commercial food does not impress me at all.

Chicken necks, wings,chick. fillets, eggs, small amount of kangaroo meat, veges, rice and pasta. Some sardines and occasionally dry food and bones twice a week. 

When you get your pup I would check what the breeder has been feeding and continue on with that and gradually wean it onto whatever you choose. 

Yep I'm a human grade raw feeder too and in the 'dry food is junk food' camp.  Commercial dry dog food is Maccas for dogs with about the same level of nutrition IMO. I've never understood why according to the pet food companies dogs are the only species on earth requiring their 'complete food'.  No-one has ever given me a good answer to that genuine question. 

Edited by westiemum
  • Like 2

I agree westiemum. Whenever I give mine the dry food I always call it 'junk food' night.

I also highly believe in a varied diet. I always ask my puppy buyers if they would like to eat the same food for every meal. 

I'm not a dry vs raw food zealot but the improvements in puppy growth and development since the advent of dry food is something I've observed first hand. If you're well informed and prepared to feed appropriate ratios, particularly Ca:P (critical for correct growth), meat, bone, offal etc then go for it. Every animal needs a complete diet. A whole lean rabbit is a complete diet but not everyone has the time, energy, knowledge and resources to meet that need. I'd rather people fed a quality dry food than mince, weet-bix and pasta.

Personally I feed a combination of raw and high quality dry. It suits me and my dogs and cats look great. Calling it "junk" equates it to KFC or McDonalds. I don't agree but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. 

Just to add to this....a few years ago on DOL several (well-educated) people kept saying how terrible it was to keep puppies indoors as they wouldn't receive sufficient Vitamin D, would not be able to sufficiently absorb Calcium and would then get rickets. However dogs get nearly all their Vitamin D from their diet, not the sun. Just be aware of some of the random ideas that get passed off as fact. Do your own research. 

Edited by The Spotted Devil
  • Like 6

Good post TSD and happy to agree to disagree :)  Enjoy our discussions. :cheers:

Just to add this... my little regular visitor is back - and she is fed dry goodness knows what.  And the poo!!  It absolutely stinks, is poorly formed and the volume is more than my two put together.  I've never seen so much poo come out of a little dog!! There is clearly very little nutrition in it - if there was her body wouldn't be excreting it by the truckload!!. And a new thing - she's hungry all the time!!!   

My Sarah, is !6 in early July and bouncing around like a puppy - and raw fed.  The vet wanted to re-run her last blood panel to check it it was so good for her age.  So I'll stick to what I'm doing as it works for me :)   

• Like 1

I believe in feeding in what works best for your dog's and your particular circumstances and a bug bear of mine is what i call the "raw feeding nazi".
I feed mine on good quality dry with some additives and they are doing well. Farts don't smell, poo is small and dense, coats, skin and ears are in good condition and Jonah has less issues than most others of his breed. I have tried 6 or 7 different foods to get where we are now and I don't see a reason to change the system.

• Like 4

I would love to feed raw, but for me it is actually impossible. We live in the country and run on generator power and a small gas fridge with a family of 6 humans and 6 dogs! There simply is not enough fridge space. Shopping days or trips to town are like Christmas for my dogs, that's when I bring home all the raw goodies, but only a couple of days worth because I can't freeze anything. The best I can do from there is a good quality dry with suitable table scraps etc. I'm glad to have the good quality dry available as not everyone can feed raw. 

• Like 2

I feed a bit of a mix too , because when I got Zelda she wouldn't eat raw unless kibble was mixed in as her breeder fed that . I only use half a cup and it's only super coat lite , she is tubby , with Roo , Vans and veggies . I should really look at a better diet kibble though , just does my head in reading about it all that's why i prefer raw . 

• Like 1

On 5 April 2017 at 4:25 AM, Canisbellum said:

I believe in feeding in what works best for your dog's and your particular circumstances and a bug bear of mine is what i call the "raw feeding nazi".
I feed mine on good quality dry with some additives and they are doing well. Farts don't smell, poo is small and dense, coats, skin and ears are in good condition and Jonah has less issues than most others of his breed. I have tried 6 or 7 different foods to get where we are now and I don't see a reason to change the system.

Agreed - and a further bugbear is the dry food feeding nazi - so these nazis are found on all parts of the feeding spectrum. :)  And I'll continue to feed raw. :)

• Like 2