Anyone doing Susan Garrett's Recallers this year?

I watched the 3 videos and while I probably found the second one most useful, I don't think it's all that different to how I have been training already (use of games, life rewards, treats). What I did notice is that you need to be mindful of what you have taught and what you intend to teach, and how the current cues and markers will integrate with the new.

Our pup took to the hot spot game alright, although as I'd already been shaping a bit she would tend to offer other behaviours before the penny would drop as to what I was actually asking. I found a quick lure or placing something on cue sooner allowed her to know my expectation of the game.

erThe games are set out so each lesson carries forward to the next and layers are built.  One game at a time is released and you learn simple things at the beginning like collar grab, it's your choice, crate games and so on.

You can spend as long or little on each game as you like, the aim is not perfection but progression. It's still a wee bit stressful if you see other people charging through the games as it does feel like you're falling behind. I think there's 40 games for the 52 weeks so some can extend out if you need.

Each game has a video showing either Susan or someone else working with their dog some doing the game for the first time. You then have a pdf for reminders on game rules and another for troubleshooting problems. There's also a recallers Facebook page and a recallers website where all the games and a chat room are located with lots of people ready to answer your questions.  There's even a whole sub section on tugging including building a desire to tug, creating your own tugs and so on. It's all pretty amazing really!

Edited by Roova
fix spelling mistake
  • Like 2

Thanks rooza o I do like the pdfs that come with each video. It is the speaking part I seem to struggle most with. I watched video 3 again and was able to complete it this time. Maybe I am cranky this week because so little time with my dogs so short on patience? I want to do games with them! (Did games tonight of course! Some play some training and all important cuddles)

hmmm building tug you say. I do enjoy better ways to play with the dogs.  Anything really, that gets me doing stuff with them. The engagement challenge recently really helped highlight tug to me but I am just not personally good st it. 

With the 40 videos being released one at a time...do they disappear at end of the sub? I would worry about falling behind. We are still only at level 2 of the IYC summit games, mostly because I keep forgetting and shoving food in their mouths. I cannot imagine how fast fall behind with 40 videos! :(

Thistle from what I understand the videos go but you get the pdfs on CD. I find if I think I've fallen behind I end up catching up when more simple games come up or I've kind of done it before.

For example Ive been using 'its your choice in various areas since my dog was a pup so she waits at doors, doesn't go down the hall to bedrooms and sits on a mat near the kitchen etc. This is also kind of 'hot zone' so I didn't have to start from complete scratch. Also if you've done any shaping before everything will be much easier. 

I remind myself there's people doing course who have their first dog or are only just starting to get in to training. It must be designed that everyone can successfully get to the end feeling they've achieved good things.:)

• Like 2

Yeah I can see it being beneficial to those who have never done any shaping before! I had clicked the "somewhat experienced" button as I took it to tailor the kind of content you see, but maybe it was more of an audience survey? 

mowgli I saved the pdfs I will send them to you when get home tonight. It is fun game I mostly use at back step when I get home (the most challenging time!). I missed the power hour one all together :'(

TSD that is good to hear, id need to sign up first ;) might not be this round anyway, have rennovations to pay for...

• Like 1

Just got to watch it now ... that was super, TSD.   Couldn't watch live as Rory had hydrotherapy, and then I was growing IYC on Pippa's walk on busy streets - sitting on a bench right near a busy intersection, with buses and trucks thundering by, and playing IYC with the treats, and major distractions .. people walking by (all of whom she believes need to be greeted by her.)  We had some great impulse control :laugh:.   Her best reward was permission to go see the postmen in his hi-vis wet weather gear, with his postie bike .. all parked on a narrow footpath.   (Turns out he's a Border Collie owner ... win!)

• Like 1

Thanks Barb - hand is coming along really well. Needs more strengthening so my OT has sent me home with some strange plasticine type stuff to do exercises with. Shoulder is rather crappy still - so very frustrating!!! I just suck it up for the most part. 

Edited by The Spotted Devil
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, The Spotted Devil said:

About 10 min in? I was first up. 

ETA: I think they’ve trimmed the start when they were sorting tech issues so watch right from the beginning. 

Great work!

Really enjoyed it. I think a lot of people could probably relate to the part where you say how you've learnt to step aside and not micromanage as much. I know it's something I've struggled with.

• Like 2