New puppy has kennel cough (caught before purchasing)

LunaC

My new Labrador puppy has a terrible case of kennel cough. We only got her last Sunday and on Thursday night she started choking/coughing. By Friday morning it was worse so I took her to my local vet. They didn’t diagnose her with anything, just told me to monitor her. By 9pm it was so bad I took her to the emergency vet in a different suburb. I had also messaged the breeder with a video of the puppy to ask if they knew what it was. While at the emergency vet I received an email confirming that the puppy they kept had come down with kennel cough that day. My vet then confirmed that’s what it was and gave me antibiotics and cough syrup. It’s now 2 days later and my poor pup is still very unwell. My question is, should the breeder be responsible for selling an unwell puppy? I understand they wouldn’t have known prior to selling her and I imagine the whole litter has been affected. Should I be asking for compensation for the vet bills? They did provide temporary pet insurance, but the excess is $300 so either way I’m out of pocket. I bought a dog fully understanding that there would be big vet bills in my future, but wasn’t expecting them this soon.

The worst part is that she’s in distress, my kids are in distress seeing her this way, and they haven’t been able to play with her because it’s such a bad case of it. 

The breeder is a reputable one and she came from pedigree parents.

im also having issues with her eyes but I will post that as a separate question.

Thank you.

They wouldn't have known the pup was brewing something, breeders don't have a crystal ball. However if this was one of mine I would pay your vet bill/s for this. Maybe you should phone your breeder and talk directly with them.

• Like 2

I've fostered more pups than I care to mention, and a large number of them had kennel cough.

First thing is don't panic... it sounds really bad, but usually they are actually just fine about it. If pup is lethargic or has yellow/green snot coming from it's nose, then you definitely need to see a vet... but otherwise, you just need to ride out the 2 weeks of it sounding like it's hacking up a lung every now and then. Also be aware that your pup will be contagious for 2 weeks AFTER the coughing stops... it can give kennel cough to other dogs... so keep it home for at least 2 weeks AFTER the cough stops, OK?

An otherwise healthy and hearty Labrador pup should not be feeling "unwell" with a dose of kennel cough. Is pup eating and drinking normally? Playing with toys or your kids? If so, then think of pup as a kid with a bad cold and treat the same. Pup will cough more after drinking cool/cold water, as it irritates the throat... room temp water is best, OK?

Of 200+ foster puppies, around 75% had kennel cough... and of those, only 2 actually needed antibiotics and monitoring...

• Like 4

Awful isn't it! And quite scary if you aren't used to seeing it. But it's a flu, it runs it's course. Max time I've seen is two weeks but I've also noticed the average is one week and while the gagging and coughing is distressing, just think of it as you would if a human has the people version. Lots of TLC, comfy quiet spots to sleep, maybe a bit of manuka honey to help soothe the throat.

I can't remember which antibiotics don't combine with vitamin C :o so check with your vet if it's ok to add some Melrose Vit C powder to her water (calcium ascorbate, non acidic).   

As T says, if there is yellow running boogers, there is a secondary infection. But you have antibiotics already so are already ahead of that. 

• Like 2

@LunaC   Just wanted to say you've had great advice here .. and that I do hope your little one is feeling better now, and that your kids understand that pup is just feeling like they might feel if they have a bad cold or cough.  

Thanks everyone. It’s been a week now and she has improved so much. She’s so much more playful now. Still has a bit of a cough so at least 2 more weeks of quarantine which is frustrating, but at least she’s happier.

• Like 3