Jump to content
corvus

Golden retrievers and exercise

23 posts in this topic

corvus   

I am wondering if anyone does extensive exercise with their Golden and how they cope with that in warm temperatures? Those I've met have flaked out after about 30 minutes of exercise and I wouldn't have them out in warm temperatures doing anything strenuous for long, but they have been pet dogs with a lot of coat and not a lot of physical conditioning. I'd love to know if anyone can speak to their suitability for, say, a 2-hour slow run. Likewise for Labs. I have so far found Labs to be intolerant of heat, but my sample is mostly larger dogs, even if they are not overweight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JRG   

In the “olden days” we used to Field Trial Retrievers of all breeds together with any breed of Spaniel.  Not sure that this proves anything except that they worked all day,  The Field Trials at that time were run on a knock-out system so the winning dog in each pair went on to the next round (like a tennis tournament). until there was just one dog left standing.. one Stake (competition) took all day from 7 in the morning to dark.  It was a hard day for dogs and handlers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogsfevr   

2 hr slow run for many breeds will be hard .

Better to look at the more Athletic breeds designed for endurance .

 

Field dogs still work differently compared to the pounding of jogging .

 

I own a very fit field breed but 2 hrs slow jogging he wouldn’t do .

He wasn’t designed by his feet and pads to be an endurance dog 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, corvus said:

I am wondering if anyone does extensive exercise with their Golden and how they cope with that in warm temperatures? Those I've met have flaked out after about 30 minutes of exercise and I wouldn't have them out in warm temperatures doing anything strenuous for long, but they have been pet dogs with a lot of coat and not a lot of physical conditioning. I'd love to know if anyone can speak to their suitability for, say, a 2-hour slow run. Likewise for Labs. I have so far found Labs to be intolerant of heat, but my sample is mostly larger dogs, even if they are not overweight.

If the extensive exercise includes swimming they're good. Otherwise, night work only, or pre-dawn.  Cutting off a lot of coat would help. Labs and goldies (and other double coated breeds) weren't bred for hot climates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corvus   
10 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

2 hr slow run for many breeds will be hard .

Really? It's just a trot. Dogs are built to trot for extended periods. My current running companion is a 5kg powerhouse that never seems to tire. She has a very short, single coat and she's little, so she seems to handle exercise in any temperature. The Lappie can't do it because his coat is too heavy, and he's never been one to trot more than about 30 minutes at once. The vallhund can't do it because his trot is too slow. I wouldn't expect it of any dog that has extreme morphology (large and heavy, short, brachy, etc.) but most moderate dog breeds can surely manage to trot for a couple of hours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corvus   
4 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

If the extensive exercise includes swimming they're good. Otherwise, night work only, or pre-dawn.  Cutting off a lot of coat would help. Labs and goldies (and other double coated breeds) weren't bred for hot climates. 

Well, potentially. All my trail runs cross creeks or hit the river at some point, and it's not likely to be a pain for me to plan routes that will offer chances to cool off. It bums me, though. I want a suburban friendly sociable dog that likes other dogs and is good and resilient. I just also want it to be capable of going for a long run with me. It doesn't seem like a lot to ask. I have almost accepted it might have to be a GSP or Vizsla, but I actually don't think I am THAT active. I'm not out running everyday or anything! I am also leery of getting a breed that will race off ahead and cover a lot of ground. I like to have them close where I know what they are doing and can call them off easily. My podengo covers more ground than I am comfortable with at times, which means she gets less off leash time. I have managed to convince her to come check-in regularly, but I don't want anything that will habitually range far and wide. 

 

What about spaniels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I follow goldenretrieverforum.com (a mostly US based forum with expert commentary by conformation breeder/exhibitors) and I think that would be on the low side of their recommendations for exercise. I get the impression that even the conformation bred goldens there are a lot less mellow than Australian goldens.

My son and daughter-in-law have two goldens from mostly European lines, which they take for long walks in the bush. Their dogs set their own - mostly much faster - pace and I’ve never seen them flag, even on the hottest days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dogsfevr   
2 hours ago, corvus said:

Really? It's just a trot. Dogs are built to trot for extended periods. My current running companion is a 5kg powerhouse that never seems to tire. She has a very short, single coat and she's little, so she seems to handle exercise in any temperature. The Lappie can't do it because his coat is too heavy, and he's never been one to trot more than about 30 minutes at once. The vallhund can't do it because his trot is too slow. I wouldn't expect it of any dog that has extreme morphology (large and heavy, short, brachy, etc.) but most moderate dog breeds can surely manage to trot for a couple of hours?

Yet the Lapphund standard calls for an all round dog and many are army dogs and search n rescue so I guess why isn’t your Lappue  able to do its no different to a Goldie with coat .Its coat is no more special or heavy .

 

So your shock to my reply shouldn’t be .You own a breed that should tick those boxes but can’t  .

Most working Gundogs work seasonal so in winter ,the pads are designed for varying services so yes not all breeds are designed to just go running or hiking as you have found with what you already own .

 

A Brittany would most likely be a good fit if you want a spaniel 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corvus   
2 hours ago, persephone said:

You need a Koolie :)

It seems a bit of a crapshoot for dog-friendly/non-reactive, though. I've met a few and they have all been fairly typical herding dogs with other dogs. They don't want them in their face or getting in their way, but will otherwise tolerate them. I worked with an incredible koolie mix I adored who was very resilient and easy to work with, but if a dog seriously encroached on him, he would go to town on it. Nothing wrong with him at all, but hard to manage in inner city where random dogs will run up and say hi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corvus   
1 hour ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

I follow goldenretrieverforum.com (a mostly US based forum with expert commentary by conformation breeder/exhibitors) and I think that would be on the low side of their recommendations for exercise. I get the impression that even the conformation bred goldens there are a lot less mellow than Australian goldens.

My son and daughter-in-law have two goldens from mostly European lines, which they take for long walks in the bush. Their dogs set their own - mostly much faster - pace and I’ve never seen them flag, even on the hottest days.

That's good to know, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, corvus said:

That's good to know, thanks.

I’ve just noticed Sandgrubber’s comment on cooling down via swimming. My son’s goldens have opportunities to swim during their walks.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

It seems a bit of a crapshoot for dog-friendly/non-reactive, though

I know of one in particular who is an inner city dog ..she is perfect around others ..goes beach playing /dog parks , etc ...is now 8 and has never been in a spat . they are around, just gotta pick a good breeder  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corvus   
15 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

Yet the Lapphund standard calls for an all round dog and many are army dogs and search n rescue so I guess why isn’t your Lappue  able to do its no different to a Goldie with coat .Its coat is no more special or heavy .

A lapphund coat is several orders of magnitude more outrageous than a Golden coat, but aside from that, my Lappie has always been pretty low energy. He's not really breed typical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corvus   
4 hours ago, persephone said:

I know of one in particular who is an inner city dog ..she is perfect around others ..goes beach playing /dog parks , etc ...is now 8 and has never been in a spat . they are around, just gotta pick a good breeder  :)

Ugh. I just want a good bet. I don't want to do hours and hours and hours of investigatory work trying to find a breeder that has unusually stable and friendly dogs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thyme can trot along for quite awhile, although we haven’t done a steady flat 2 hours. My attention span is too short for that. Multihours Hikes are normal tho. 
 

I think 1 Hour 30 On a flat path was our longest steady pace so far with some sniff/pee breaks here and there. I kickscooter with him so he’s usually pulling a bit too. 
 

we are training for the ANKC endurance test one day which is a 2 hour 30 min bike ride. So I am working him up to it slowly (plus my own fitness needs work!). 
 

(thyme is The springer spaniel)

There are other spaniels who do the endurance test as well - including cavaliers! Among other more typical breeds like kelpies, huskies, pointers. I like looking at the photos. Terriers present too!

 

would just be mindful to have a healthy dog and to work them up to it steadily like you do with your own health.
 

And be mindful of the weather and surfaces. Eg I usually stick to dirt trails for long running with the odd bike path here and there. 

 

Spaniels are cool :) I am only a little biased ;) 

Edited by Two Best Dogs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you’re looking for an on-lead jogging companion, a Brittany might suit. They’re a Hunter-pointer-retriever breed and in the US they’re used by hunters on horse-back. Off-lead, they’re variable in their tendency to stay close. My girl runs far and fast, despite extensive training and obedience competition success, but some other Brittanies stay close to their owners with little training.

My girl is great with other dogs and people, which seems to be typical of the breed. I’ve been to breed meet-ups and all the Brittanies I’ve seen have been very social.

of course, you need to check the parents’ health testing status.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Two Best Dogs! said:

Thyme can trot along for quite awhile, although we haven’t done a steady flat 2 hours. My attention span is too short for that. Multihours Hikes are normal tho. 
 

I think 1 Hour 30 On a flat path was our longest steady pace so far with some sniff/pee breaks here and there. I kickscooter with him so he’s usually pulling a bit too. 
 

we are training for the ANKC endurance test one day which is a 2 hour 30 min bike ride. So I am working him up to it slowly (plus my own fitness needs work!). 
 

(thyme is The springer spaniel)

There are other spaniels who do the endurance test as well - including cavaliers! Among other more typical breeds like kelpies, huskies, pointers. I like looking at the photos. Terriers present too!

 

would just be mindful to have a healthy dog and to work them up to it steadily like you do with your own health.
 

And be mindful of the weather and surfaces. Eg I usually stick to dirt trails for long running with the odd bike path here and there. 

 

Spaniels are cool :) I am only a little biased ;) 

I've been a Lab person but have recently gotten a Springer.  She's a sweet girl, and tireless; also quite pretty. Single coat, so takes heat much better than a Lab. But it would be beyond my skill to teach her not to take off after rabbits, and she's much more excitable, and prone to barking, eg, the neighborhood cats often set her off when they cross the street, and kids walking to school are also events that require barking. 

Btw, streams are fine for cooling a Labrador.  When hot, they will happily lie down in mud puddles. 

Edited by sandgrubber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corvus   

I have considered a Brittany, but a little worried they might be too active. Same with spaniels I guess. Some people say spaniels have an off switch and some people say they don't. I think that it probably depends on what you are used to living with. All of my dogs are settled in the house, but one of them is a breathing rug, one wanders around at times, and one is usually snoozing unless there are flies to chase and then there are wall jumps and perching on windowsills and leaping off furniture and so on. We have a big house so I'm not bothered as long as I don't have to actively entertain them or constantly redirect them to appropriate activities. I had a few years of that at one stage and I'm not sure how we survived it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
corvus   

Here's my current trail running pal. She is very well suited to it. Lives for it and starts screaming when she sees me putting on running clothes, can run in any temperature I can run in, can have a little off leash time and will keep pace, and small enough to lift over fences or carry down a big drop, although she is so light on her feet she rarely needs help. She is not a suburban-friendly dog, though. She is too alert and she doesn't like people or dogs coming at her. She likes people and dogs, but needs to be the one to initiate contact. Fair enough, but unfortunately that is not the world we live in. 

95835019_10157451354460819_7965695773092347904_n.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×