Puppy litter

Doggylover1

Hi, I am excited to be meeting our 4 week old puppy this weekend but I have a few concerns aswell. We were originally going to be chosing from 2 girls but one of them had fluid on the lungs and the vet had to put it down which is really sad. I’m worried that the rest of the pups could be sick and if there’s such a thing as a bad litter? The pups are apparently thriving. It’s the mums 5th litter aswell. I just want to make sure my pup is healthy. Thanks! 

Sh!t happens. Pups are often lost, either still born or in the early days after being born. I've had one put down at birth and one at 7 days due to health problems, different litters. Depending on the breed I'd be wanting to see original health testing certificates ( parents and sometimes the pups i.e hearing tests, I think hearing tests for breeds like cattledogs and dalmations are done at 6 weeks of age) and expect to get a copy when I picked up the pup.

I'm a little bit more concerned that the bitch has had her 5th litter, hope they are not going to breed her anymore.

• Like 2

Pups will be vet checked when there vaccinated so until then you don’t know .

The breeder has told you  and things do and can go wrong .

5 litters is a lot from 1 bitch but each to there own there .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 2

The breeder said the parents have been DNA tested. Im not sure how old the bitch is we will be meeting them for the first time this weekend and I can ask the breeder questions. I don’t know much about dog breeding and how many times a dog can have a litter. I just wanted to find a reputable breeder which I thought I found. I just feel a bit nervous than excited at the moment!

47 minutes ago, Doggylover1 said:

The breeder said the parents have been DNA tested. Im not sure how old the bitch is we will be meeting them for the first time this weekend and I can ask the breeder questions. I don’t know much about dog breeding and how many times a dog can have a litter. I just wanted to find a reputable breeder which I thought I found. I just feel a bit nervous than excited at the moment!

Normal to be nervous. Just stick to questions re the pup and the health tests. Don't ask about the bitch cause, in the end, it's nothing to do with you. And I mean that in the nicest possible way as it reads a bit harsh. :)