Lead or no lead Training

Caz13

My 10 weeks old JR is great in understanding training time, touching her collar she gets treat for sit, stay, here and  no bite, she even understands calm down time in cage for 3 minutes for mis behaviour, I want to take her to park, should I let her off the lead, my garden not big enough for run about.

Do not take your baby puppy to a park until fully vaccinated. Do not let off lead in a public place until you have done a lot of training and pup will recall when called. Look into puppy schools and obedience clubs near you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caz13 said:

my garden not big enough for run about.

Take her for nice, interesting walks on lead instead..along a river/down at a beach/on a walking trail  :) She will get enough running around playing with toys at home .  :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the last 10 or more years in our business I have seen a whole new element off badly behaved dogs .

Nearly all have 1 common factor taken too the dog park as puppies and allowed to run feral with no rules, boundaries or expectations.

Also lead training in the last few years has been terrible due to owners too lazy to walk there dogs onlead,train them too walk nicely as the park becomes there problem solver .

This is age is so crucial for setting a pup up to be a enjoyable adult and a dog people want too live with,take out and be proud off .

lead manners are crucial,exploring the outside world in regards to seeing cars,bikes,people ,prams so vital .

Many off these dogs value other dogs more than there human and these same dogs drag there owners around when they see another dog as it’s never been taught values .

So your question is as a responsible owner is .

If puppy runs off what is your plan?
How have you set your pup up for a good park experience?

If puppy gets bullied by other dogs as it’s a pup and annoying what’s your method to handle it ?

i don’t do offleash parks as it teaches bad life skills ,pups go to Bunnings,cafes,local football matches to experience calm and managed outings for adult life skills 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Caz13 said:

Thanks yes better waiting till train her more x

Yes  -  there are lots of games you can play with your pup inside to get her exercised, and train at the same time ..  Hide and seek .. you hide, she finds you .. treats and party.  You can do that many times.   As long as you don;t have slippery floors, you can play chase games ... she chases you .. again, treats and party when she catches you.     

Until she's had her second vaccination, you can take her out in the car, and then carry her in your arms so that she can see the world .. start to get used to all the noises, and sights.

I'm another who really dislikes dog parks.   I want to be more valuable to my dogs than other dogs, or a ball.