border collie coat - how to strip undercoat?

Hi

any suggestions how to strip a 9 month old bc under coat? he gets brushed daily with a normal brush (dont know what to call it but its a dog brush that looks like a human one???) and pin comb.

i thought it was doing a decent job as could brush through his coat with ease, when i went to bath him tho i have noticed he has a dense undercoat that has started to develop little twist matts (only a few so can go around and using the dematting comb and remove them)

clearly the brush and pin comb are not getting into the lower layers, this wasnt a issue with our first border collie this method seem to work fine

any suggestions?

cheers

Pin & comb is fine its more about technique.
You need to layer/line brush & most will use a good soft clicker brush & always spraying the coat before brushing as it goes static & crazy .(water & light conditioner )
You can absolutely use an undercoat rake BUT if the technique is wrong you will still get matts .
Your pup is most likely starting coat change & seasonal weather change & if spayed a coat change there too .

In the perfect world look at cylinder dryers on ebay approx $90 ish dollars & they are great for fluffing out coated breeds & assisting in dead coat removal 

23 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Pin & comb is fine its more about technique.
You need to layer/line brush & most will use a good soft clicker brush & always spraying the coat before brushing as it goes static & crazy .(water & light conditioner )
You can absolutely use an undercoat rake BUT if the technique is wrong you will still get matts .
Your pup is most likely starting coat change & seasonal weather change & if spayed a coat change there too .

In the perfect world look at cylinder dryers on ebay approx $90 ish dollars & they are great for fluffing out coated breeds & assisting in dead coat removal 

They go by another name ? I tried cylinder dryer but got clothes driers :(

Yeah I think your right on the technique part I will probably need to try and sectionalise the area and make sure the pins are getting down and into that lower layer, not desexed yet vet said wait til 1 yr old so his coat might change again post that

Dryer like this

we call them HV (high velocity) or force dryers in grooming. 

a thorough bath, blow dry with a HV dryer using a flat ended attachment or large circular attachment. Once thoroughly dry brush through with a slicker brush lifting the coat up or back with your hand in sections and brushing it down. Finish with a medium toothed comb 

the HV dryers make an enormous difference. The budget ones have risen a little in price to low 100 ish now 

we use very powerful dryers upwards of $500 , but the $100 ish dollar ones are fine if you’re just doing a few dogs or one pet now and then. 

as someone mentioned above your dog is likely coming into coat change which can get a bit ugly on thick coated dogs. Vigilance and consistency and great tools…… a couple of months his adult coat will settle and then you’ll just get seasonal changes. Desexing really does make a big difference to some BC coats. So so much bigger and thicker, and not as easily shed out. 

• Like 1