How to get dew claws off?

WanaHavanese

My girl is going in for her spay tomorrow and I requested she get her dew claws removed at the same time. I got a very condescending lecture from the vet nurse today about it being a thumb and they will not remove them. 

My last dog ripped hers horrifically when she was 14 and it was awful, finally resulting in removal (many smaller dew claw injuries before that). I've known at least a dozen other dogs with similar stories. My family members dogs have been able to get dew claws removed during desexing in perth recently but I am using my local usual vet. I am wondering how I can convince them to do it for me as it seems inevitable it will need to be done at some stage anyway. (Probably out of hours too!)

My dog does this weird thing where she rubs her face on my face with her paws on each shoulder - never had a dog do it before, thought my breath must be super bad for her to want to roll on it!  But in looking it up online people have said its a sign of affection so I havent discouraged it, but I am concerned her dew claws are going to rip my face or ears.

She'll be getting spayed tomorrow regardless and probably left this too late for suggestions but I did not think it would be such a big issue to get done. Is the risk of injury (to me or her) not a good enough reason to want it done? 

You won’t find that many vets will remove dew claws simply because it’s essentially been banned — unless for legitimate medical reasons. Simply wanting to prevent an injury that may not ever occur is not a sufficient reason to perform the surgery.

There is also so much evidence and studies around showing that dew claws are necessary and can often prevent injury (ligament and tendon damage) as dogs use them to grip the ground when running and they are also used when eating bones.

I’ve had terriers for over 45 years and none of mine have ever ripped a dew claw nor have I heard instances of this happening from my puppy buyers. It’s a matter of keeping them short and maintained and you shouldn’t have any problems.

https://www.ava.com.au/policy-advocacy/policies/surgical-medical-and-other-veterinary-procedures-general/surgical-alteration-of-companion-animals-natural-functions-for-human-convenience/

B12627D6-2313-4DD1-A15D-829AB07B5C0A.jpeg

• Like 1

The vet nurse should not be comparing them to a thumb. Thumbs are opposing and serve a purpose. Without a thumb, you’d find it hard to pick up small items. A dog’s dew claw serves little purpose in 99% of breeds. 

In having said I’m not a fan of removing dew claws (or tails) to prevent something which is not a major health concern or issue for canines.  Although your personal experience makes you think it’s common, in my experience as a former vet nurse, dog rescuer and dog owner, I don’t believe it is. 

I saw more cats with skinned tails due to paling fences than I saw dogs with dew claw injuries - that is unless you’re talking about overgrown dew claw nails. 

I can’t think of any logical argument you could use to defend your stance.

Thanks for the info. I guess there is no convincing the vet then, thanks for helping me accept that before the appointment :) I'm already nervous about the op, so knowing the facts is helpful. I just assumed it wouldn't be an issue as I have met plenty of dogs without them. 

My dog doesn't get bones but she does run and chase her ball, which is how the previous dog injured hers. Very different breed though, the current one is mostly poodle and far more an indoor dog. I do think it is inevitable for her to get them caught as its already happened with my crochet cushions but luckily no blood, just a yelp for help. 

• Like 1

Front dew claws? Never seen injury except years ago my Pointer snagged hers a couple of times. I doubt you'll find a vet that would do preventative removal, but that's no reason you should be condescended to. :( 

I've only ever seen problems when it's a tiny flappy rear dew claw hanging on by a bit of skin.  

Yes fronts. Hers arnt unusual or deformed, I did only want them done for injury prevention and if its not the done thing anymore then I accept that, as much as it worries me. Probably just residual trauma from my old girl going through so much pain with hers ripped. One of my buns sliced his right off, took him to the vet and they said its already healing and he'd be fine. A year later it had grown back! So I wouldnt want that to happen either. 

I should be used to being talked down to, I do appear more disabled in real life than I do online. She read out the consent form to me as if I couldn't read as well :laugh: so I was feeling a bit crap when I got home today. This was probably half a rant. Thanks for the info from everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

This is interesting to me because at puppy class the trainer mentioned just a brief spiel about health and trimming nails was part of it and they said that if you want you can get your vet to remove the dew claws. I didn’t say anything but I always thought it wasn’t something that was done/allowed anymore. 

My boy (lab) did tear his dew claw and it wasn’t long. I still don’t know how he tore it. It was a very difficult time getting the vet to look at it to help him. But in the end he was fine and some medicine and fixing it up didn’t take long, just it was really hurting him a lot. 

I do think if you keep them nice and short there’s less chance though. I know a lot of dogs don’t enjoy getting their nails cut and most dogs I see around have far too long of nails. I notice in the pet shops with grooming salons that they will cut them for you for 10 or so dollars…. 

• Like 1

@WanaHavanese I understand how traumatic it is to see your dog in pain. :( 

Pointy girl was a dear lady, so soft and sweet but she'd go really hard at things without thinking. She used to use her dew claws often. Like leverage/extra grip when climbing rocks, holding bones and wiping her face after said bone. Also when trying to grab your arm for a pat. :laugh: So they are quite useful for those kinds of things.

So sorry you felt crap. :( Even the nicest people don't always have their thinking cap on.

• Like 1

If the dewclaws are well attached, then most vets would prefer not to remove them... the standard removal of rear leg dewclaws is precisely for the reason that they aren't usually well attached, and can more easily get caught on things... front dewclaws, not so much issue.

As others have said, if the actual claws on the dewclaws are kept properly trimmed, they are rarely a problem, and do allow the dog some added dexterity when manipulating objects with their front paws.

The vet nurse talking down to you or coming across as condescending is not on though... maybe you should mention it to the practice manager or the vet. Your request was in good faith, and no-one deserves to feel belittled simply for asking a valid question about possible injury issues with their pet.

T.

• Like 1

I stub my toes wrench them backwards all the time. It really hurts. But I never thought about removing them. 
I’ve held plenty of pups in the old days for tail docking. Although I’m glad we don’t alter dogs tails now, I never thought it was a problematic procedure. Pups might squeak then be back nursing within moments. It wasn’t until I had a litter myself and was urged by other breeders to get the dew claws done, I held those pups at days old to get the claws done. NEVER EVER EVER would I do that to puppies again. It was horrible just horrible. 

My girl in the pics used hers very much as thumbs. After watching her dexterity with them, Now I would prefer they are left on any dogs I might have. She could use that grip really well to try and hold on to some thing if I tried to take it. 

post-32332-0-15015000-1393889772_thumb.jpg

Edited by moosmum
  • Like 2