Dog on Macrolone 20mg - side effects??

MidnightBlue43

Hi there,

My border-collie, 12 years old has been on macrolone for about a month now due to a clogged tear duct that wasn't draining. It's returned to normal now, but the vet has us finishing off a course of it, another 6 halves, every second day to go. But I've noticed in the last few days especially now, that my dog has become very withdrawn, she's normally very bubbly and energetic and loves chasing after her squeaky toys, but now she's not doing that. She's also not eating as much, but she is drinking lots and panting. I'm just worried, I don't want to continue giving her the steroids if this is how it's going to affect her. The vet never told me about any possible side effects and its got me really concerned. Any advice? She's only got 3 whole tablets left, which is 6 halves over the course of 12 days, which would make her on steroids for about 1.5-2 months then. Should I just stop it? 

Thanks!

No.  Don't just stop without consulting your vet.  There are medical reasons as to why you can't just stop Macrolone .  Vets always advise to taper off the dose just as your vet has done.  I have always been advised to taper the dose when I've had to use it.

If you are that concerned maybe you should contact your vet anyway.

• Like 4

Definitely do not cease it suddenly. Her body may already be reacting to the reduction (ie. withdrawal symptoms) or it may be a completely separate issue she now has. At 12, shes well and truly a senior so I'd be inclined to take her to the vet for another check-up and some follow-up advice on the macrolone withdrawal.

• Like 5

Hi guys thanks for you advice, her treatment is set to end after these tablets anyways, so would it make much a difference? She's been on this dosage for about 3 weeks now so it can't be withdrawal issues.

Edited by MidnightBlue43

I have an almost 15 year old and this year she needed the steroid Prednisole. She developed every single side effect in the book and it was awful for her and us but please hear what everyone is saying - this is a drug that needs to be tapered off. You cannot just stop it. I don't know the technical reason why but there is a good reason. So please continue the doses as prescribed but you can also call your vet for their professional advice on how to manage the affects on your dog.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MidnightBlue43 said:

her treatment is set to end after these tablets anyways, so would it make much a difference?

That is something to ask your vet. A steroid (or any medication) is prescribed for a set time for a reason . What we can see on the outside  does not tell the whole story of what's happening inside. 
Please take her back to the vet for a check up to be sure you are thinking along the right path .

• Like 3

On 11/10/2022 at 8:03 AM, Little Gifts said:

I have an almost 15 year old and this year she needed the steroid Prednisole. She developed every single side effect in the book and it was awful for her and us but please hear what everyone is saying - this is a drug that needs to be tapered off. You cannot just stop it. I don't know the technical reason why but there is a good reason. So please continue the doses as prescribed but you can also call your vet for their professional advice on how to manage the affects on your dog.

When you give steroids (cortisone or prednisone or whatever) for more than a few days, the body stops producing its own. So stopping abruptly causes a crisis due to insufficiency. The effects of this are really unpleasant and depending on the daily dose can be life threatening.

• Like 3

So it's been a stressful few days. My baby girl was diagnosed with pancreatitis and an enlarged liver and they stopped her on the macrolone immediately as that can cause it to onset. She was in hospital overnight as she had to go on fluids to flush all the nasty fluid from the pancreas, in her stomach out. She didn't each much all day yesterday, and in the morning the vet called and wanted to keep her in an extra night, however, we went to visit and my baby improved! She even ate something! The vet told us we could bring her home since was improving and has her on broad spectrum antibiotics. We are going back in 2 weeks for a blood test. Praying for the best. So glad to have her home. I missed her.

• Like 8

So glad you took her back to the vet! Pancreatitis is horrible! See we have to trust our instincts and knowledge of our dogs and honestly, a good vet will be happy with a quick phone call and follow up visit if any concerns arise post or during treatment, so never be afraid to voice concerns to them if something doesn't feel or seem right.

• Like 3